PDA

View Full Version : Prelude to Blackest Night sum up...

Parrylakks
05-24-2009, 08:21 PM
As you all know, I don't read GL or GLC anymore... why? Well, you know why.

But there's is something to be said about an event like Blackest Night... and I will be getting it... all of it... so, here I would like to ask you to please sum up the events in GL and GLC post SCW for me, so that I am not lost as the Blackest Night begins.

It will be much appreciated.

http://ssjlogan.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/blackest-night.jpg

W.West
05-24-2009, 09:11 PM
-Sinestro is Natus dad.

-There are Blue Lanterns that run on hope and require a GL's presence nearby

-There are Red Lanterns that run on anger and most of them want to kill Sinestro

-Mongul and Sinestro basically split the Sin Corps in half...separate factions,separate agendas

-As of right now, Hal Jordan has both a blue lantern ring and green lantern ring.

-The Star Sapphires can "reboot" a person into love rather than fear.

-Fatality has forgiven John. Guy is apparently not fan of the Walt Disney Emotional Spectrum

-Kyle and Natu are officially a couple, continuing his streak of hot colored (alien)women.

-The Guardians have made some new laws. No love within the Corps is the most important(imo).

-Scar bleeds black tears and apparently no one knows.

-Carol is Star Sapphire.

-Many Sinestro Corps members have escaped from their cells.

-Sodom Yat just flew into the sun, most likely to make it yellow so his people can kick ass.

-At some point, Hal returns to Earth and talks to Barry Allen multiple times.

-Mongul has one eye. Bzzd is dead.

I think thats it.

Parrylakks
05-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks... but it really sucks that Bzzd is dead. :(

SFH
05-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Also some other things that were forgotten:

-Larfleeze is the only living person among the Orange Lantern Corps. Everyone else is an orange light avatar of people he killed.

-Black Central Battery located on Ryut in Sector 666.

-Zamarons have several female Sinestros in crystals trying fill their hearts with love. Nine in ten think this will not work out well...

-Still no concrete information on who the Guardian of Death is going to be. Scar's dialogue indicates that it's male, so Lady Styx is out.

-Indigo Tribe has yet to appear. The boss is a lady also named Indigo. Ganthet is searching for them to form a united front with them and the Green Lanterns against the Black. No word on if the Star Sapphires will be invited.

-Scar also has a giant Book of the Black hidden in the bowels of Oa.

-Blue Lantern rings can override Red Lantern rings, drain Qwardian rings, not be drained by Orange Lantern rings, and strengthen Green Lantern rings.

-The Guardians of the Universe are increasingly becoming too stupid to live.

I think between W. West and I we got everything.

Parrylakks
05-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Sweet, thanks.

ion.nai
05-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Laira became a Red Lantern and was killed by Sinestro. All happened in front of Jordan.

Blue Lanterns are suggested to make some sort of ultimate sacrifice before they join the corps. There is a cost to their Blueness.

ion.nai
05-24-2009, 10:12 PM
As you all know, I don't read GL or GLC anymore... why? Well, you know why.

may i pry? I'm curious.

lanternut
05-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Parry, I think if you where to pick-up the last two to three months of both books they both feel like their back on track and probably in my opinion must read for BN, but that's my opinion...

W.West
05-24-2009, 10:20 PM
may i pry? I'm curious.

Read Here (http://thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767) At Your Own Risk. lol

Larfleeze92
05-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Read Here (http://thegreenlanterncorps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767) At Your Own Risk. lol

well I Like johns Hal and maybe thats because i dont know to much about hal before rebirth.

Parrylakks
05-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Wow... I just read that whole thing... and its still true... if you ever had a face to face conversation with me about Hal Jordan... I love him... up until I get to Rebirth, and then I turn into a bitching SOB, lol. You could ask anyone I've talked about comics with in person more than just in passing. Its obviously there. I'm still a GL fan, through and through... I just loathe what v4 has done with MY hero... and thus, Green Arrow is CURRENTLY my favorite hero, closely followed by Red Arrow.

ion.nai
05-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Wow... I just read that whole thing... and its still true... if you ever had a face to face conversation with me about Hal Jordan... I love him... up until I get to Rebirth, and then I turn into a bitching SOB, lol. You could ask anyone I've talked about comics with in person more than just in passing. Its obviously there. I'm still a GL fan, through and through... I just loathe what v4 has done with MY hero... and thus, Green Arrow is CURRENTLY my favorite hero, closely followed by Red Arrow.

I completely agree with the majority of what you say. I however think that Geoff Johns is a crap writer. This is not to say that he has not churned out some decent work, I just feel that in general he is a bad writer. His treatment of Hal does not respect the great mythos and history that already exists within the character. He is doing the exact same thing right now with Barry Allen. I will never drop GL as a book... never have, never will... I just can't wait for the reigns to be passed on. You really should consider picking up GLC. I think that Tomasi handles the characters extremely well and is setting up some great books for TBN.

The_Mad_Dragon
05-24-2009, 11:42 PM

And yet... you mod.... on a GLC forum....

W.West
05-24-2009, 11:43 PM
I completely agree with the majority of what you say. I however think that Geoff Johns is a crap writer. This is not to say that he has not churned out some decent work, I just feel that in general he is a bad writer. His treatment of Hal does not respect the great mythos and history that already exists within the character. He is doing the exact same thing right now with Barry Allen. I will never drop GL as a book... never have, never will... I just can't wait for the reigns to be passed on. You really should consider picking up GLC. I think that Tomasi handles the characters extremely well and is setting up some great books for TBN.

The 180 he's doing with Barry Allen is apart of the story. Hopefully seeing this kind of Barry will be worth in the end.

ion.nai
05-24-2009, 11:50 PM
The 180 he's doing with Barry Allen is apart of the story. Hopefully seeing this kind of Barry will be worth in the end.

Well, at this point I can't be bothered to pick up the rest of Flash:Rebirth until i've heard from a reliable source (such as yourself) that it is worthwhile. The first 2 issues did absolutely nothing to interest me. Plus what bugs me the most is why bring Barry back? His death was legendary, and Wally West is already an amazing Flash. Sometimes it's better to let sleeping dogs alone.

ion.nai
05-24-2009, 11:50 PM
apologies for derailing this thread.

DougG_ATL
05-25-2009, 12:06 AM
I however think that Geoff Johns is a crap writer. This is not to say that he has not churned out some decent work, I just feel that in general he is a bad writer.

Geoff Johns is probably more responsible for bringing in new fans to the DC Universe than anyone else at the company over the past several years. I think his writing is fantastic; he expands on DC lore without being anchored by it. Retconning the nature of Parallax didn't expunge what Hal did during that time, nor during his time as the host of The Spectre. If anything, it requires him to be the bigger hero in spite of what other Corpsmen thought of him.

For everyone like Parryllax and yourself that are turned off by his developments to GL, there are probably 3-5 new readers like me for which Rebirth ignited new interest in the mythos.

methos
05-25-2009, 12:07 AM
nuce sumup guys...

and for the record, i stand with Pary on this issue, only i have only dropped GL and am still reading GLC

M

W.West
05-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Geoff Johns is probably more responsible for bringing in new fans to the DC Universe than anyone else at the company over the past several years. I think his writing is fantastic; he expands on DC lore without being anchored by it. Retconning the nature of Parallax didn't expunge what Hal did during that time, nor during his time as the host of The Spectre. If anything, it requires him to be the bigger hero in spite of what other Corpsmen thought of him.

For everyone like Parryllax and yourself that are turned off by his developments to GL, there are probably 3-5 new readers like me for which Rebirth ignited new interest in the mythos.

New readers do not equate to the writer's skill.

ion.nai
05-25-2009, 12:55 AM

This is awesome, I love seeing more and more folks read GL. But... There are other ways to attract new readers. Johns has taken away aspects of Hal that a lot of old readers enjoyed. What bugs me above all else is that Johns has no respect for past events. He is literally like Parallax in Zero Hour trying to go back and fix the time line as he sees fit. Hal Jordan is already an extremely strong character. What is wrong with writing a story that doesn't some how erase, ignore, or retcon past events? This is what makes Johns crappy to me. I find it disrespectful to the character.
His Hal is like New Coke. an ok replacement that attracts attention, but anyone who liked the original would rather have the taste that they loved.

joeylavoie
05-25-2009, 01:18 AM
I've read all the GL Prelude issues, none of the GLC ones. Is that an issue? Because I pretty knew everything in the sum up posts..

W.West
05-25-2009, 01:21 AM
I've read all the GL Prelude issues, none of the GLC ones. Is that an issue? Because I pretty knew everything in the sum up posts..

Its not an issue if you keep up with GLC without reading it. You'll probably be able to understand Blackest Night by reading it and the GL title but for a more vast story, you'll probably want to pick up GLC and Tales of the Corps before any of the other tie-ins.

joeylavoie
05-25-2009, 02:41 AM
I think I'll start buying GLC when Blackest Night begins...I probably won't pick any GLC stuff up before that tho....WAAAY too much to read already

JStew
05-25-2009, 03:45 AM
New readers do not equate to the writer's skill.

Im with Doug on this one. Im strictly a Marvel reader that has jumped on board GL since Sinestro Corps War. I don't read individual issues but collect the HCs. I don't read anything else but have loved what johns is doing on GL.

I can respect how people feel about their favorite characters mythos and history being respected.

New readers don't equate to a writer's skill? On a technical level, you are probably right. Im not here to argue whether Geoff Johns is a bad, good or great writer. I haven't followed his whole body of work to make a great argument on this.

But a good writer attracts readers and that I can say GJohns has done.

JStew:john:

Larfleeze92
05-25-2009, 04:19 AM
I think I'll start buying GLC when Blackest Night begins...I probably won't pick any GLC stuff up before that tho....WAAAY too much to read already

It would really help if you did read them because its going to be kinda hard to keep up and it will give you a better view of the event

Parrylakks
05-25-2009, 05:56 AM
The first Johns story I think I ever read was Day of Judgement... and that was brilliant. It was the story that brought Hal Jordan in as the new Spectre and thus lead into Spectre v4, which featured Hal Jordan, adn that was a mostly strong series, imo... though it was pretty much completely retconned by Johns right out of the gate with GLv4. Fucking A. Johns pisses me off.

/sigh ... in through the nose... out through the mouth...

joeylavoie
05-25-2009, 06:16 AM
which ones? 29 to 36? (in reply to the GLC issues)

and the first story you read by him...it was really strong and he made like it never happened when he began Volume 4? That would drive me mad too...like if one day Fox Mulder started wearing hawaiian shirts

Raker616
05-25-2009, 06:37 AM
Why in the world would you pick up Blackest Night if you're not reading GL and are not Johns fan?, honestly it's like your setting yourself up for a huge disapointment and throwing money away.

I mean i'm going to be dead ass broke because of Blackest Night yet i'll be very happy because of it since i'm a long time GL fan that loves volume 4 and what Geoff has done. If you don't fall into that category or a new fan looking to get into GL and the DCU with Blackest Night you should skip it or wait for the trade it will save you and us all months of grief.

Ninty
05-25-2009, 06:44 AM
Why in the world would you pick up Blackest Night if you're not reading GL and are not Johns fan?, honestly it's like your setting yourself up for a huge disapointment and throwing money away.

I mean i'm going to be dead ass broke because of Blackest Night yet i'll be very happy because of it since i'm a long time GL fan that loves volume 4 and what Geoff has done. If you don't fall into that category or a new fan looking to get into GL and the DCU with Blackest Night you should skip it or wait for the trade it will save you and us all months of grief.

Or at least go back and buy the issues in trade so you at least get the scope of Blackest Night and not just brief descriptions of what has happened since stopped reading GL.

Agree with Rakar though, dont get why your going to be picking up BN if you dont even read GL or GLC as you would totally of missed the build up to BN and probably be a bit lost and thinking when did that thing happen??

Or to save everyone telling you what has happened and reading post after post Id just either buy the trades (as I said above) or go read wikipedia :p

Parrylakks
05-25-2009, 06:47 AM
How would it save you months of grief? Its not like I'll be bitching about every issue as they come out, more than likely I'll read them all at once and then post my thoughts after its all said and done... but yeah... besides, I can turn around and sell the issues on eBay since I'll be getting all 1st prints, sor a good amount in a full lot after tis all said and done. Hell, I made just shy of a $20 profit on eBay off of the Sinestro Corps War because I had all 1st prints of the issues. :p ;) :)

Parrylakks
05-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Okay, Blackest Night is its own DC event... its not soley within GL and GLC like SCW was... thats why I'm getting it. If it were an internal GL/GLC event, I wouldn't bother... but when I found out that it was its own thing, I decided to pick it up... and I only decided to get teh GL/GLC issues that go along with it becasue of the potential sale worth afterwards if I don't care for it. Plus, I've been getting most things Batman recently, and there's the BN:Batman mini involved, so... yeah.

joeylavoie
05-25-2009, 07:07 AM
yeah I'll follow it and sell the 1st prints on eBay once the paperback comes out. Glad to hear you got $20 profit on Sinestro Corps...with the following this will get there's bound to be many late fans, I can only imagine the profit margin on a 1st print NM Blackest Night full run

FrEaKjOkErXXX
05-25-2009, 07:41 AM
yeah I'll follow it and sell the 1st prints on eBay once the paperback comes out. Glad to hear you got $20 profit on Sinestro Corps...with the following this will get there's bound to be many late fans, I can only imagine the profit margin on a 1st print NM Blackest Night full run

DC is gonna print the shit out of this book. Unless it sells an unheard amount, I wouldn't doubt it being worth much more than what you pay. But who knows, I ain't a doctor.

Parrylakks
05-25-2009, 07:57 AM
There were 5 prints of the Sinestro Corps Special... I wouldn't be surprised if Blackest Night #1 followed suit... regardless of how much DC expects it to sell, they know how various prints and varient covers work... they know there are people who will buy it multiple times to get all the covers, thus its in their best interest to make multiple prints, becasue it still gets wide spread for all those who want it, but it also gets them the double, triple, quadruple, etc, dips that bring in more money.

joeylavoie
05-25-2009, 08:19 AM
yeah thats true. i guess we'll have to see if there's a bum-rush on eBay once the last issue is released

Raker616
05-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Okay, Blackest Night is its own DC event... its not soley within GL and GLC like SCW was... thats why I'm getting it. If it were an internal GL/GLC event, I wouldn't bother... but when I found out that it was its own thing, I decided to pick it up... and I only decided to get teh GL/GLC issues that go along with it becasue of the potential sale worth afterwards if I don't care for it. Plus, I've been getting most things Batman recently, and there's the BN:Batman mini involved, so... yeah.

Hey you can do what you please, all i'm saying is that you've made it clear that you don't like what Johns has done with Hal that's why you aren't reading GL. Now you are going to be buying a series that is written by Johns and stars Hal just because it isn't all GL all the time. It doesn't mean that you won't have the same problems if not more it's just weird to read that, but hey I welcome any added sales for BN so enjoy the ride.

W.West
05-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Its not weird that he wants to read the next DC event that stars his favorite character. Its just conflicting because he'll probably suffer from bits of rage when he sees/reads discrepancies with the book and previous reads. But he shouldn't have to think twice about picking up DC's big event of the year, especially if he hasn't stopped reading other DC titles. I mean shit, most of you people hate Grant Morrison but still picked up Final Crisis.

FrEaKjOkErXXX
05-25-2009, 11:48 AM
Its not weird that he wants to read the next DC event that stars his favorite character. Its just conflicting because he'll probably suffer from bits of rage when he sees/reads discrepancies with the book and previous reads. But he shouldn't have to think twice about picking up DC's big event of the year, especially if he hasn't stopped reading other DC titles. I mean shit, most of you people hate Grant Morrison but still picked up Final Crisis.

I was going to just get Blackest Night without any of the lead up but I couldn't pass it all up. I missed Rage but besides that I'm good. Geoff is pretty good at making is easy for new readers so i have faith everything will be understandable.

TurquoiseLantern2814
05-25-2009, 07:27 PM
-The Guardians of the Universe are increasingly becoming too stupid to live.

well said.

Raker616
05-26-2009, 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by W.West

Nice comparison West it would be like me picking up Morrison's Multiverse project after my rants about FC, it would be a waste of time and money and grief for all involved but hey some comic fans are weird like that.

Parrylakks
05-26-2009, 05:49 AM
I am indeed weird.

dragonwolf
05-26-2009, 10:09 PM
-Sodom Yat just flew into the sun, most likely to make it yellow so his people can kick ass.

when did this happen?

Larfleeze92
05-26-2009, 10:14 PM
when did this happen?

It was in the last GLC issue i think it was 36

Colonel Xonic
05-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah, "infected". that kinna' pissed me off. It's okay, I don't know Geoff made a whole new GL for me. I was used to Vol. 3 when it was still a comic and not a whole arc of continuous bull. It doesn't seem like Gl anymore, but I still read it. I can't wait much longerr for this corps shit to just got to hell after BN. I really didn't like the fact of the "infection" or host, but It is pretty cool.
Well I think everyone got everything anyway...

myuserid
05-27-2009, 12:50 AM
when did this happen?
Hey, I remember this guy.

The_Mad_Dragon
05-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Oh, and all the hot Star Sapphires started a gigantic orgy.

IonFan
05-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Oh, and all the hot Star Sapphires started a gigantic orgy.

:eek: WHEN WAS THIS?

The_Mad_Dragon
05-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Super secret special edition of GLC. Guess you're not well enough connected. :D

IonFan
05-27-2009, 01:06 AM
SON OF A.... :wallbang::wallbang::wallbang::wallbang::wallbang: lol

Iggy
05-27-2009, 01:24 AM
IonFan always being left out

Colonel Xonic
05-27-2009, 01:40 AM
:spritz: Oh yeah, yeah, that happened... Annual... GLC uhh 1... err- Yeah, yeah that's right... Big one lots of spurting and leakage, with shining-
Oh see for yourself... :p

Corwin
05-27-2009, 02:19 AM
I'm actually doing an issue by issue detail counting down to Blackest Night. You can check out what I've done so far by following the link in my sig.

besides, I can turn around and sell the issues on eBay since I'll be getting all 1st prints, sor a good amount in a full lot after tis all said and done. Hell, I made just shy of a $20 profit on eBay off of the Sinestro Corps War because I had all 1st prints of the issues. :p ;) :)

....or you could get them custom bound!! (http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=7276)