No announcement yet.

"Wizard of Oz" Targeted for Remake/Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm not really a fan of anime, but might have to get that. The original Metropolis is in my Top 10 most appreciated films of all time. If you enjoy films about cyborgs, dystopian futures, and flying cars then you should show it some love too.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Thanks, Michael...I wasn't aware of that...It would be cool to see a live action version (would definitely like someone like Wim Wenders to direct and use the production design team from "Dark City").

Comment

Sam Raimi & Robert Downey Jr. Are The Men Behind The Curtain

Long rumored for the project, it now appears confirmed that director Sam Raimi — he of Evil Dead, Army of Darkness, Spider-Man and Drag Me To Hell — is on board to take the reins on Oz, The Great And Powerful, the Walt Disney Company’s big budget prequel to the original Wizard of Oz tale.

Iron Man star Robert Downey Jr. is reportedly attached to headline the prequel as the titular Wizard, originally a circus wrangler who finds himself and his hot air balloon transported to the wonderful world of Oz during a terrible tornado. There, he’s mistaken for an all-powerful wizard. Things could be worse, one imagines.

Word broke late last night that Raimi was “in early talks” with Disney to direct the project, with Deadline Hollywood describing the news as a finalized deal this morning. Deadline also states that Robert Downey Jr. will star in the film. It’s probably best to wait until all the i’s and t’s are dotted and crossed, but barring some sort of negotiation meltdown, it appears that Raimi and RDJ are the men behind the curtain for Oz.
        That sounds pretty good to me.

Comment

4 years later and rumors still surface huh?
          .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

I take back my original post. If RDJ (The 3 most charming dude In Hollywood) is behind this, I'm all for it

Comment

Originally posted by metalliccorps View Post

is this a movie movie or a musical film like the original?

Comment

Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
                is this a movie movie or a musical film like the original?
                I would assume it doesn't have many musical numbers but I could be wrong.

Comment

Has anyone seen "Wicked the Musical"? That has an interesting take on the origin of the Witches, in particular, the Wicked Witch of the West. It screws with continuity and relationships, but adds a different twist on the characters. Still, I enjoyed it and would most likely see it again when it comes to town. I won't go into depth considering there might be folks here that want to see it.

Comment

I have and really enjoyed it

Comment

Originally posted by metalliccorps View Post
                      I would assume it doesn't have many musical numbers but I could be wrong.

i never been a fan of wizard of oz mainly because of the musical theme to it but if this turns out to be a standard non musical film i may give it a shot

Comment

Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
                        i never been a fan of wizard of oz mainly because of the musical theme to it but if this turns out to be a standard non musical film i may give it a shot
                        It's a musical... and I'm not sure if it's on film somewhere... aside from cheesy copies on youtube. Even if you're not into the music, it's about the backstory of the Wicked Witch and how she's a tragic character dealing with a series of unfortunate circumstances. I highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by sylent_asassin View Post
                          It's a musical... and I'm not sure if it's on film somewhere... aside from cheesy copies on youtube. Even if you're not into the music, it's about the backstory of the Wicked Witch and how she's a tragic character dealing with a series of unfortunate circumstances. I highly recommend it.
                          I think he meant the prequel.

Comment

Originally posted by sylent_asassin View Post
                            Has anyone seen "Wicked the Musical"? That has an interesting take on the origin of the Witches, in particular, the Wicked Witch of the West. It screws with continuity and relationships, but adds a different twist on the characters. Still, I enjoyed it and would most likely see it again when it comes to town. I won't go into depth considering there might be folks here that want to see it.
                            I read the novel it was based on. It was interesting. I believe there have been at least two sequels to it by now, too.

Comment

From Spinoff Online

Ninety-one years after his death, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz author L. Frank Baum is still the belle of the Hollywood ball.

As of yesterday, I could think of at least four Oz-related films in the works: the Sam Raimi-directed Oz: The Great And Powerful, a Disney prequel starring Robert Downey Jr.; two separate projects at Warner Bros., one of which may be Drew Barrymore’s rumored sequel Surrender Dorothy; and the animated musical Dorothy of Oz, starring Glee’s Lea Michele.

But then this morning another film cropped — one that appears to have a jump on all the others: Via Cinema Blend comes a brief but atmospheric YouTube video for Oz, by the Polish Brothers (Mark and Michael Polish), who directed and starred in the 1999 independent film Twin Falls Idaho.

There’s not a lot to say about the clip, really; it’s a lovely sequence of a young Dorothy and the Lion — an actual lion — walking down a hallway. However, it’s certainly nice. The description under the video reads, “Hitting screens everywhere in 2011,” so I guess we’ll see …
                              + YouTube Video
                              ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X