• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    SocializingMogo
    Corps Honor Guard

• SocializingMogo
    replied
    Sure but if they present such a plot device there needs to be a proper setup. If this is the case there was plenty of time to at least hint at the fact that the Tardis has a backup of the Screwdriver. Yes it's Doctor Who but they shouldn't just pull this stuff out of their asses all the time. They didn't write the plot of the special overnight.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Heide
    Heide Finition

• Michael Heide
    replied
    Yes. But the new screwdriver grew out of the TARDIS. Which hints at some sort of symbiotic relation between them. Perhaps the screwdriver was just the interface, but the actual computing was done in a cloud, hidden somewhere in the TARDIS OS? They did say that it's the same software.

Leave a comment:

• SocializingMogo
    Corps Honor Guard

• SocializingMogo
    replied
    It was entertaining but the plot fell completely apart as soon as I remembered that the Sonic Screwdriver was twice destroied under Moffats writing (actually in his first episode!). It was also destroyed several times in classic Doctor Who.

Leave a comment:

• Deadpool
    Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

• Deadpool
    replied
    Fantastic episode!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff
    Guardian of the Universe

• Jeff
    replied
    I'm watching the showing at 11m EST tonight (1hr 45m and counting) on BBC America. I'm excited to see the Zygons- they were one of my absolute favorite aliens in the Tom Baker years.

Leave a comment:

• Space Cop
    The Dandy

• Space Cop
    replied
    Wow. Where to start.

(1) I loved the 12-doctors hero shot.
    (2) I wouldn't make too much of the Tom Baker scene. It was just meant as an inside wink. He could just be the curator who happens to look like an older so and so.
    (3) Did anyone else catch the reference to the UNIT dating problem? I thought that was funny.
    (4) I would've liked more cameos, at least from companions.
    (5) The opening nod to the pilot was great.

Leave a comment:

• Mrt1000son
    Dark Lord of the Sith

• Mrt1000son
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
    Back from the theater, and WOOOOOOOOW...

Goosebumps, tears in my eyes, laughter and so much excitement. This one kept piling twist on twist. Some of them were predictable, but it was still worth it. Two minor spoilery nitpicks (well, major spoilers. Minor nitpicks):
    They were showing us archive material of Eccleston anyway, so why didn't they do that for the second half of the Hurt/Eccleston regeneration?
    And can anyone explain the Baker epilogue for me? Yes, it was nice to see him again, but how does that work? Does a future regeneration that they might or might not show us years from now just happen to look like an older version of Doctor #4? Wouldn't that be too much of a massive coincidence? And where does that leave the twelve regenerations rule?

Other than that, fantastic, brilliant, absolutely stunning. I want the blu-ray NOW.
    Not before me! How do we know you're not a Zygon anyway!

I think that the Doctor will not die at Trenzalore and will instead retire, perhaps passing the mantle of universal wanderer/protector to someone else and that's an echo made by the timeline, the 11th, 9th and 12th were all together so that may have allowed the timestream to slip up a bit or that's my theory anyway

That was amazing, utterly incredible, everything we were promised and so, so much more

GALLIFREY RISES!

Leave a comment:

• Michael Heide
    Heide Finition

• Michael Heide
    replied
    That's actually a sound theory. But one that will never get confirmed on screen. For obvious reasons.

Leave a comment:

• chivalrous
    Corps Honor Guard

• chivalrous
    replied
    And can anyone explain the Baker epilogue for me? Yes, it was nice to see him again, but how does that work? Does a future regeneration that they might or might not show us years from now just happen to look like an older version of Doctor #4? Wouldn't that be too much of a massive coincidence?
    We've seen from the second and eighth Doctors' regenerations that a Timelord can choose the appearance their next generation takes provided they have the resources available. Who's to say that when the doctor finally retires, he won't return adopt a previous identity and appearance. We've also seen the Doctor take an appearance from people he's encountered in his past. The seventh Doctor looked a lot like another Timelord he encountered; The 12th Doctor looks a lot like a Roman merchant the tenth rescued.

And where does that leave the twelve regenerations rule?
    See earlier on this page for the discussion on the regeneration limit.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Heide
    Heide Finition

• Michael Heide
    replied
    Back from the theater, and WOOOOOOOOW...

Goosebumps, tears in my eyes, laughter and so much excitement. This one kept piling twist on twist. Some of them were predictable, but it was still worth it. Two minor spoilery nitpicks (well, major spoilers. Minor nitpicks):
    They were showing us archive material of Eccleston anyway, so why didn't they do that for the second half of the Hurt/Eccleston regeneration?
    And can anyone explain the Baker epilogue for me? Yes, it was nice to see him again, but how does that work? Does a future regeneration that they might or might not show us years from now just happen to look like an older version of Doctor #4? Wouldn't that be too much of a massive coincidence? And where does that leave the twelve regenerations rule?

Other than that, fantastic, brilliant, absolutely stunning. I want the blu-ray NOW.

Leave a comment:

• IonFan
    Forum Member

• IonFan
    replied
    + YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Leave a comment:

• Deadpool
    Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

• Deadpool
    replied
    I doubt that Capaldi will be the last doctor. Something will happen. Moffat will do some complicated thing meaning that he has more regenerations or never used them all, or maybe the timelords will return and grant him a new life cycle, or simply the rule no longer applies since the timelords are gone.

But on a positive note, I am thrilled we actually saw McGann return albeit under 7 minutes. Still, I'm thrilled!

Leave a comment:

• Space Cop
    The Dandy

• Space Cop
    replied
    I'm still going by my theory that his amount of regenerations reset when Amy recreated the universe in The Pandorica Opens. Because she never knew any of his past lives, she didn't add them.

And then there's the theory that River Song gave him one of her lives to fight the poison in Let's Kill Hitler, and all other lives just to be sure. She had two regenerations before, so that's another ten lives on his account.

Also: Does the Metacrisis regeneration count or not? The Tenth Doctor used the restorative energies, but didn't change his appearance because he directed the leftover energy out of his body before he could change.
    Yeah, that could work. Or Rose regenerating him could've been a reboot.
    But the benefit to my explanation is it's a possible in-continuity answer and we don't have to deal with it again 1, 2, or even 12 doctors down the line.

Leave a comment:

• SD80MAC
    Not a True Fan

• SD80MAC
    replied
    Originally posted by SocializingMogo View Post
    I'd feel cheated by that.
    Welcome to Doctor Who. Who gives a shit about solid plots? Massive plot holes and other throwaways are as much a part of the series' fabric as the TARDIS.

I've got a feeling they'll never completely explain why he'll keep regenerating, but they really don't need to. The thirteen rule was written what, in the 1970s? The BBC didn't know the show would still be around decades down the line. A majority of modern DW fans didn't watch that era anyway, and won't.
    SD80MAC
    Not a True Fan
    Last edited by SD80MAC; 11-15-2013, 04:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Heide
    Heide Finition

• Michael Heide
    replied
    I'm still going by my theory that his amount of regenerations reset when Amy recreated the universe in The Pandorica Opens. Because she never knew any of his past lives, she didn't add them.

And then there's the theory that River Song gave him one of her lives to fight the poison in Let's Kill Hitler, and all other lives just to be sure. She had two regenerations before, so that's another ten lives on his account.

Also: Does the Metacrisis regeneration count or not? The Tenth Doctor used the restorative energies, but didn't change his appearance because he directed the leftover energy out of his body before he could change.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X