The Doctor Who Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lantern A-train View Post
    I have just recently gotten into the show....Kinda fitting considering the show. But I do love the hell out of this show. I swoon for Tennant lol.
    Instant Netflix has all of the new series except the current season.

Originally posted by Deadpool View Post
    Excellant! You should try the clasic series too. If nothing else, at least watch the 1996 TV movie with Paul McGann. If nothing else, you'll probably fancy him...
    Don't listen to that! The movie is a horrible choice for a DW newb. It would be like starting with Johns' worst GL retcons. I started with the movie and didn't bother to watch any more Who until the 2005 premier. Every Whovian should see the movie eventually but you need to have a good amount of the show under your belt so you know what they did well and what they got horribly wrong.

Perhaps surprisingly, though, the rest of Deadpool's choices (save maybe Logopolis, which is only noteworthy for the regeneration) are all very good episodes and generally well regarded among fans. I'd also recommend watching "An Unearthly Child" (the pilot), "The Mind Robber," and some others. BTW: BBC-America has been doing "Doctor Who Revisited" where each month they do an hour about one of the Doctors and then show one of their top episodes. This Sunday is the 4th Doctor story "Pyramids of Mars," which is a very good and accessible choice.

Comment

• SCREW YOU!!!!!!!!!!! I thought you of all people would like that one. STEAMPUNK TARDIS BITCHAS, STEAMPUNK TARDIS!!!!! Don't listen to Space Cop, try the McGann film. It is in my top 5 episodes of all time, give it a chance!!!!! Really it's a marmite thing, you either love it or hate it. I love it. If you like the eccleston Tennant eras, chances are you'll like this one too!

Thank you. Nu uh! Logopolis is awesome! Because really in soem ways, Tom Baker had two eras, the seventies and the eightees John Nathen Turner eras which were actually quite different. Giving the best of the two.

Yeah, in the UK, you can buy and unearthly child, the daleks and the edge of destrction (the first three serials) in a box set, wondering if something simular is in the US. That's a perfect starter really. Never seen Mind Robber.

Meh, I didn't like Pyramids of Mars much. Not a huge fan of Bakers early stuff.
      Originally posted by IonFan
      (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
      Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
      If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
      Originally posted by Quaker
      I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deadpool View Post
        SCREW YOU!!!!!!!!!!! I thought you of all people would like that one.
        Down, boy, down.

STEAMPUNK TARDIS BITCHAS, STEAMPUNK TARDIS!!!!! Don't listen to Space Cop, try the McGann film. It is in my top 5 episodes of all time, give it a chance!!!!! Really it's a marmite thing, you either love it or hate it. I love it. If you like the eccleston Tennant eras, chances are you'll like this one too!

I actually like it, though it took me until about the third viewing until I could appreciate the finer points of it. And yes, the Tardis design was beautiful, probably the best (or at least my favorite). I think it even influenced the 2005 TARDIS. It's just that one stupid "half human" comment, which is not only nonsensical but potentially confusing to someone still learning who the Doctor is.

Thank you. Nu uh! Logopolis is awesome! Because really in soem ways, Tom Baker had two eras, the seventies and the eightees John Nathen Turner eras which were actually quite different. Giving the best of the two.
        Well, again, I like it, it's just not typical of Baker's best (as fans usually rate it). The other you mentioned ("The Keeper of Traken") is one of my favorites. Better Baker (imho, obviously) would include "The Pirate Planet," "Planet of Evil," "City of Death," "The Deadly Assassin," "The Talons of Weng Chang," and "Destiny of the Daleks."

Yeah, in the UK, you can buy and unearthly child, the daleks and the edge of destrction (the first three serials) in a box set, wondering if something simular is in the US. That's a perfect starter really.
        Yep. Almost all the DVDs get released in exactly the same format 6-12 months later here. The two exceptions were the movie (took a lot longer to get in the US because of a legal issue with Fox) and "The Chase" (where the few seconds of Beatles on the time viewer were cut, also for legal reasons).
        It's the second box set I bought. Good episodes and good extras.

Never seen Mind Robber.
        You'd probably dig it. It's very weird. The crew is sent to a land of fictional characters and the Doctor's battle is all mental.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lantern A-train View Post

I want to make a TARDIS closet for my bedroom.
          12.jpg
          This was on the RPF awhile back. It's a door to his man cave. I would like to do the same but my wife won't hear of it. It would make a good closet.
          Time,Space and Will Power

Comment

• @ Spacecop
            That's what she said.

I liked the half human thing, an to this day I connsider it canon. I like humanising the doctor, that's why Tennant, McGann, and Eccleston are my top three doctors.

In my opinion it's his very best. Keeper is a close second. The robot tardis thing was awesome! Never seen Pirate Planet, Planet of Evil, City of Death or Deadly Assasain (I saw Assasain on DVD today, but I decided not to buy it, I'd rather buy Caves of Andorzani when I see it). Telons of Weing Chang whatever was quite boring I thought, didn't care for it much. I found Genisis long winded.

Ah right. I prefer the DVD covers in region 2 myself.

Will look out for it! Presuming all the episodes are still in existance and it's been released.

@ LOG
            Ah neat! What would be cool if someone did that, but instead of a man cave, it'd be a small room with a console room. That way you could pick and choose which parts of each you prefer and do it up accordingly.
            If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deadpool View Post

Ah right. I prefer the DVD covers in region 2 myself.
              Yeah, the Brits do covers (including movies) very differently than American (R1) DVDs.

Comment

• Time,Space and Will Power

Comment

• Sorry I know I just posted those other pics but I found this interesting.

and this was just to cool not to post.
                  Time,Space and Will Power

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                    Yeah, the Brits do covers (including movies) very differently than American (R1) DVDs.
                    Indeed. I prefer how the Brits do it.

Comment

• Yo.

ok, I just watched Clara eps #3, and I just have 1 Q to ask: doesnt the Doc usually refer to the TARDIS in the female context?

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                      Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Yo.

Tazer

Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                          Yo.

ok, I just watched Clara eps #3, and I just have 1 Q to ask: doesnt the Doc usually refer to the TARDIS in the female context?

Tazer
                          Of course. Any self respecting captain / pilot / deck swabber refers to their ship as female.
                          Minimum space distance:
                          a|<- ≥2mm ->|lot
                          ----------------------------------------------------------

Stormageddon added by Kuhan

Comment

• Yo.

ok....so did I mis-hear him say that "HE'LL be back" when he told Clara about TARDIS' return??

Tazer

Comment

• Originally posted by chivalrous View Post
                              Of course. Any self respecting captain / pilot / deck swabber refers to their ship as female.
                              Which makes me wonder would any self respecting gay male captain / pilot / deck swabber refer to his ship as female?
                              Originally posted by fearless2814.1
                              ...You're a chore, you know that? You are a chore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hybrid Lantern View Post
                                Which makes me wonder would any self respecting gay male captain / pilot / deck swabber refer to his ship as female?
                                It's seafaring tradition so I expect so. Probably more of a mother metaphor than a sexual one, i.e., to be carried safely delivered to their destination, protected in the belly of the ship, or some such.
                                Minimum space distance:
                                a|<- ≥2mm ->|lot
                                ----------------------------------------------------------

Stormageddon added by Kuhan

Comment

Working...
                                X