NASA Possibly Revealing Life On One Of Saturn's Moons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA Possibly Revealing Life On One Of Saturn's Moons

This Thursday NASA is holding a press conference to discuss an astrobiology finding that will "impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life". Have we discovered alien life within our own solar system?

The opening sentence of the NASA media advisory that went out today regarding Thursday's press conference was enough to set the internet abuzz with speculation.

NASA will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life.

What could the big announcement be? Chances are it has something to do with the recent discovery by the NASA-led international Cassini-Huygens mission of a tentative atmosphere containing both oxygen and carbon dioxide on the surface of Saturn's moon Rhea.

The oxygen in Rhea's atmosphere is five trillion times less dense than that of Earth, and the surface of the moon is far too cold to support life as we know it. That doesn't rule out life as we don't know it.

Participating in the press conference will be NASA astrobiology program head Mary Voytek; NASA astrobiology research fellow Felisa Wolfe-Simon; NASA astrobiologist Pamela Conrad; Foundation for Applied Molecular Evolution fellow Steven Benner; and Arizona State University professor James Elser, whose research involves biological stoichiometry, the study of balance of energy and multiple chemical elements in living systems. That's not a group you gather together just to look at pretty space rocks.

So what does NASA have up its sleeve? The conference will be streamed online on Thursday at http://www.nasa.gov/. Until then, let the speculation fly!
    This is going to be pretty exciting, if the reveal is indeed relating to life in our solar system. I don't think we're going to have green aliens with big heads revealed, but to even think there's other life beyond Earth, even at its most basic form somewhere in our solar system is pretty cool.

Let's just hope Emmerich didn't have it right in the mid 90's. If so, at least we still have Will Smith.

http://kotaku.com/5702479/has-nasa-d...n-saturns-moon

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Exciting news!
    "This is the strangest life I've ever known" The Doors
    "What is this but my reflection, who am I to judge or strike you down?" TOOL
    "I will move away from here, you won't be afraid of fear" Nirvana
    "Don't disturb the beast" A Perfect Circle
    *Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.*

Comment

can't wait

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Did anybody read the article before posting?

Sounds like a bunch of bunk to me.

Comment

Originally posted by myuserid View Post
          Did anybody read the article before posting?

Sounds like a bunch of bunk to me.
          Participating in the press conference will be NASA astrobiology program head Mary Voytek; NASA astrobiology research fellow Felisa Wolfe-Simon; NASA astrobiologist Pamela Conrad; Foundation for Applied Molecular Evolution fellow Steven Benner; and Arizona State University professor James Elser, whose research involves biological stoichiometry, the study of balance of energy and multiple chemical elements in living systems. That's not a group you gather together just to look at pretty space rocks.
          Sounds pretty legit to me. However, the thing to realize is that the life which might be revealed isn't going to be something complex like a human, or animal. It might be something as basic as a micro-organism. Still though, even for something that small it's exciting.

Comment

So what did the news conference say, anybody watch?

Comment

Pffh.

Comment

Originally posted by myuserid View Post
                So what did the news conference say, anybody watch?
                it's airing Thursday

and man, there are some negative Nancy's on this site.

Comment

I don't think other life in our solar system is possible. in one of the other many, many galaxies around us? Possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
                    it's airing Thursday

and man, there are some negative Nancy's on this site.
                    Got my days mixed up.

I agree with Shingo.

Comment

Originally posted by Shingo Wol View Post
                      I don't think other life in our solar system is possible. in one of the other many, many galaxies around us? Possibly.
                      Well, you can argue with the NASA astrobiologists after their press conference Thursday.

Comment

Life on one of Saturn's moons!? Uh-oh, I think I know what's coming...

Comment

Just wait until they announce that crusing gays have been discovered inhabiting other worlds. You non-believers will eat your words... among other things.

Comment

Saturn.......................... It must be The Gingers, that's the only set of life that could live on Saturn. GOD'S MISTAKE

Comment

I rather have NASA say Pluto is a planet again.
                              You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Working...
                              X