Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save the Internet from the US

Posted: 5 April 2012
    Right now, the US Congress is sneaking in a new law that gives them big brother spy powers over the entire web -- and they're hoping the world won't notice. We helped stop their Net attack last time, let's do it again.

Over 100 Members of Congress are backing a bill (CISPA) that would give private companies and the US government the right to spy on any of us at any time for as long as they want without a warrant. This is the third time the US Congress has tried to attack our Internet freedom. But we helped beat SOPA, and PIPA -- and now we can beat this new Big Brother law.

Our global outcry has played a leading role in protecting the Internet from governments eager to monitor and control what we do online. Let's stand together once again -- and beat this law for good. Sign the petition then forward to everyone who uses the Internet
    Click here to sign the petition: http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa/?slideshow

Yo.

for further info (if we're gonna stop it, we should atleast read up on it):

http://intelligence.house.gov/bill/c...ction-act-2011

&

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr3523

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
    Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Count me in. The internet is a wonderful and horrible thing.
      Mister.Weirdo
      Guardian of the Universe
      Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 04-27-2012, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitey View Post
        Click here to sign the petition: http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_cispa/?slideshow
        ive stated this for how long and was called crazy..........
        .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

Is this still going on? And will this affect the UK?
          Originally posted by IonFan
          (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
          Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
          If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
          Originally posted by Quaker
          I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

Yo.

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
            Count me in. The internet and a wonderful and horrible thing.
            did U mean ".........is a wonderful & horrible thing" by any chance??

Tazer

Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

@ Deadpool
              Can't tell for sure, but when I think about what the USA already can acquire on information like bank data/transactions etc. I think that this will affect everybody (of course some in a more direct, others in a more indirect way).

@ Tazz
              You're not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
                ive stated this for how long and was called crazy..........
                '
                In all fairness to anyone who has called you crazy, it still hasn't successfully happened.
                Now you'd never call Erwin a "Wussy"
                Nor label his working day "cushy"
                But you might have to question
                His endless obsession
                With superpositional pussy.

Comment

Yo.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/c...173913974.html

CISPA: the controversy surrounding it and how it might affect you

Tazer

Comment

These things always hurt my brain. I can't begin to wade through the actual text of these bills, and I don't trust either side to be totally honest about the pros and cons of the issue.

I do feel like laws need to exist to more directly address internet issues, because existing laws just don't fit well with a technology that didn't even exist when they were written.

I also feel like the people WRITING the laws don't seem to understand what they are doing, or understand the technology all that well (I can't blame them TOO much, since I don't understand it well enough to be writing legislation about it, either. Of course doing so isn't MY JOB.)

On the other hand, I feel like there are some groups that will categorically oppose ANY legislation having to do with these technologies, no matter how carefully crafted. I get the distinct impression that there are those who are quite HAPPY that current laws don't address these matters, and want it to stay that way.

So, ugh. Every time this stuff comes up, it makes my brain hurt, and I'm tempted to just stick my fingers in my ears and say, "LA, LA, LA, LA, I'm not LISTENING!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
                      Count me in. The internet is a wonderful and horrible thing.
                      I don't want them watching me look at beautiful and sexy women!

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                        These things always hurt my brain. I can't begin to wade through the actual text of these bills, and I don't trust either side to be totally honest about the pros and cons of the issue.

I do feel like laws need to exist to more directly address internet issues, because existing laws just don't fit well with a technology that didn't even exist when they were written.

I also feel like the people WRITING the laws don't seem to understand what they are doing, or understand the technology all that well (I can't blame them TOO much, since I don't understand it well enough to be writing legislation about it, either. Of course doing so isn't MY JOB.)

On the other hand, I feel like there are some groups that will categorically oppose ANY legislation having to do with these technologies, no matter how carefully crafted. I get the distinct impression that there are those who are quite HAPPY that current laws don't address these matters, and want it to stay that way.

So, ugh. Every time this stuff comes up, it makes my brain hurt, and I'm tempted to just stick my fingers in my ears and say, "LA, LA, LA, LA, I'm not LISTENING!"
                        I know what you mean. I picture the legislators behind it listening to a pitch and just going "yeah, we need a law for that!" but not understanding the consequences. On the other side, pirates, hackers, and other exploiters are happy to leave as is.

Comment

It's not so much about "being happy" that things issues aren't being addressed, because there actually are policies in place to address them.

However, I am categorically against any expansion of power that is meant to create "shortcuts" around policies that are written to protect us from our federal government.

It's easier to prevent law enforcement from getting power that can be abused, then it is to stop them from abusing it. So as a rule, you never want to get complacent about letting the government expands it's power over you or your right to privacy.
                          His endless obsession

Comment

Originally posted by Razorgod View Post
                            It's not so much about "being happy" that things issues aren't being addressed, because there actually are policies in place to address them.

However, I am categorically against any expansion of power that is meant to create "shortcuts" around policies that are written to protect us from our federal government.

It's easier to prevent law enforcement from getting power that can be abused, then it is to stop them from abusing it. So as a rule, you never want to get complacent about letting the government expands it's power over you or your right to privacy.
                            And I understand that. But I'm not so convinced that there ARE policies in place to effectively address some of the issues raised by new technologies. If new technologies allow people to circumvent existing laws, preventing that isn't necessarily "expansion of power" but merely maintaining the same balance of power. The problem is that attempts to address the issues CAN become expansion of power if not carefully crafted, and that careful crafting is what seems to be hard to come by, and even harder for somebody like me to identify. I get the privacy concerns, but frankly I think, in large part, the capabilities of new tech are what is causing privacy problems, even aside from any actions the government might be taking.

I am neither comfortable just trusting the government to "do the right thing", nor automatically opposing every attempt at addressing technology issues on principle.

Ah well, back to "LA, LA, LA, LA, I'm not LISTENING!"
                            Mister Ed
                            Horse of a Different Color
                            Last edited by Mister Ed; 04-28-2012, 04:25 AM.

Comment

If new technologies allow people to circumvent existing laws, preventing that isn't necessarily "expansion of power" but merely maintaining the same balance of power.
                              New technologies give governments more ability to circumvent due process than were previously established, so there is no maintaining the status quo. New technology has already given authorities an edge on citizens, so there can be no balance of power.

Initiatives made to force companies to spy on their customers (PIPA, SOPA) or face consequences are a power that is one step over the line in regards to taking "reasonable" security measures and the only purpose it serves is to benefit Hollywood lobbyist.

CISPA is just the cyber version of the Patriot Act. Go read it, then come talk to me about how it's not a hotbed for possible abuse.

I am neither comfortable just trusting the government to "do the right thing", nor automatically opposing every attempt at addressing technology issues on principle.
                              To be fair, I dynamically oppose this type of power expansion in general, not just where new technologies are concerned.
                              His endless obsession

Comment

Working...
                              X