Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story Arc Tie-Ins

Hey Guys,

I'm pretty new to comics and one thing I've been wondering is how important it is to read the tie-ins of story arcs (arcs such as Blackest Night, DC Crises, Fear Itself, etc). I know the number of issues for the main story in such arcs is usually reasonable, say around 6 to 12. However, I've noticed most arcs also have a bunch of tie-ins that can bring the total issue count to like 80+. Are tie-ins only so that readers of those particular series/runs can experience how the story arc is affecting that title? Do people usually read the main story plus the tie-ins for whatever titles they're following anyway?

Some guidance on this would be much appreciated it. I tend to be a completionist about these kinds of things (I won't watch a show unless I can watch it from episode 1 and watch every single one, lol), but in some circumstances I understand I must look past this as it is probably just not worth the time and money in this case, lol.

I'm also wondering the same thing for things surrounding the story arcs, like countdowns/preludes/build-ups and aftermaths/postludes, etc. Those seem to make more sense to read since they sound like they should support the story, whereas tie-ins seem to just provide extra but otherwise non-essential info if it's desired.
    In fearful day, in raging night,
    With strong hearts full, our souls ignite,
    When all seems lost in the War of Light,
    Look to the stars-- For hope burns bright!

Yo.

for the most part, its not very important........except in rare occasions like Superman Beyond during Final Crisis, where the main villain wasnt actually the biggest threat going on.

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
    Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Unfortunately, it really varies. Final Crisis, for instance, was very complex and parts of the story were being told in different books. Blackest Night, on the other hand, I think you could get by with just the main title and the GL books (it was a GL-centric story). The other titles were essentially the different DC heroes encountering zombie versions of former friends, families, or lovers.

On the other hand, tie-ins are different from crossovers. In crossovers, the story flows through multiple regular titles. For instance, I, Vampire and Justice League Dark recently did a crossover story over two months. If you decided to skip one or the other, you literally missed half the story.

Comment

From my experience, not very. Brightest Day for example had tie-ins just for the sake of making you read another character's title hoping you like the character enough to become a regular subscriber. Usually, sticking with the main title should suffice.

Comment

Dang, this sounds confusing, lol!! Well, I guess if the publisher clearly indicates which stories are crossovers and which aren't, then it's not so bad. Otherwise, I'll just use my judgement, lol

For one thing, I want to read all the major DC Crises to get a look at how the DCU has changed over the years. I'm planning on reading it like this:

1) Crisis on Infinite Earths
          2) Zero Hour
          3) Identity Crisis
          4) Countdown to Infinite Crisis
          5) Infinite Crisis
          6) Infinite Crisis: Aftermath
          7) 52
          8) One Year Later
          9) Countdown to Final Crisis
          10) Final Crisis
          11) Final Crisis Aftermath

Am I missing anything, such as any significant countdowns or aftermaths, etc? And is this the right order to read these in? Thanks!
          In fearful day, in raging night,
          With strong hearts full, our souls ignite,
          When all seems lost in the War of Light,
          Look to the stars-- For hope burns bright!

Comment

With tie-ins, its usually best to just follow the main series writer onto whatever he's writing. And then just go by your interest in the characters used elsewhere. Especially if you're not reading while the event is being published.

As for your list, you should probably drop Countdown to Final Crisis off it right now and save yourself time,money, effort and a headache.

Comment

Originally posted by GaMeBoY439 View Post
              For one thing, I want to read all the major DC Crises to get a look at how the DCU has changed over the years. I'm planning on reading it like this:

1) Crisis on Infinite Earths too much time is past to even TRY doing it w/this, and the back-ish hunt U'd have to go through likely wont work
              2) Zero Hour not needed really, unless there was a particular hero ya were interested in
              3) Identity Crisis not needed AT ALL; had next to NO bleed over in other titles
              4) Countdown to Infinite Crisis U can lump this and the next two together & be happy
              5) Infinite Crisis
              6) Infinite Crisis: Aftermath
              7) 52 not needed, as this was a weekly book & dont remem there being any separate tie-ins
              8) One Year Later same as above
              9) Countdown to Final Crisis my advice for #4 applies here, but ya might wanna get Superman: Beyond.
              10) Final Crisis
              11) Final Crisis Aftermath

Am I missing anything, such as any significant countdowns or aftermaths, etc? And is this the right order to read these in? Thanks!
              my tips are above.

Tazer
              Tazer
              That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
              Last edited by Tazer; 05-04-2012, 08:29 AM.

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
              Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Originally posted by sylent_asassin View Post
                From my experience, not very. Brightest Day for example had tie-ins just for the sake of making you read another character's title hoping you like the character enough to become a regular subscriber. Usually, sticking with the main title should suffice.
                BD was the worst for that! That "Brightest Day" banner was across the whole DCU line and almost none of them tied in.

I agree with Tazer about 52 and One Year Later as well. I'm not sure there really were 52 tie-ins since the whole point was that a year was missing from DCU's whole continuity. One Year Later was just their way to pick up after that year so it included all the major titles for a few issues. That would be nearly impossible and pretty pointless to track down.

Comment

Working...
                X