X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yo.

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2012...e-dies-aged-79

John Clive, who appeared in films including A Clockwork Orange, the Pink Panther and the Italian Job, has died at the age of 79.

The actor and author, who was also the voice of John Lennon in Yellow Submarine and went on to become an international bestselling author, passed away following a short illness, his family said on Monday.

For many, his most memorable turn was appearing alongside Michael Caine in the original 1969 version of the Italian Job in a scene said to have been ad-libbed by the pair.

Clive, playing the manager of a garage that has been looking after a sportscar belonging to Charlie Croker (Caine) while he has been serving a jail sentence, names the final bill as 200. Croker, who tells him that his absence has been due to time spent shooting tigers in India, hands over part of a sizeable wad of cash which has been stashed in the car's engine.

"Yes, you must have shot an awful lot of tigers sir," says Clive's character, licking his lips and counting the notes.

"Yes, I used a machine gun," replies Croker.

A year earlier, Clive had voiced the part of John Lennon in Yellow Submarine a role that was controversially kept under wraps after the Beatles chose not to provide their own voices.

In 1971 he played the role of Tormenter, where he asked the lead character Alex to "lick his boots" in the cult classic A Clockwork Orange.

Clive also enjoyed extensive success with comedy roles, appearing in four of the Carry On films and two Pink Panther movies. He also appeared in such series as Rising Damp, The Sweeney and The Dick Emery Show.

His writing career resulted in the international bestseller KG200 and other similar "fiction-based on fact" books such as The Last Liberator, Barossa and another bestseller Broken Wings.

Clive is survived by two children from his first marriage - Alex and Hannah, a step-son Deane, and his second wife Bryony.

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
    Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/1...manuelle-died/

Actress Sylvia Kristel, the Dutch star of the hit 1970s erotic movie Emmanuelle, has died of cancer at age 60.

Her agent, Features Creative Management, said in a statement Thursday that Kristel died in her sleep Wednesday night. Kristel, a model who turned to acting in the 1970s, had been fighting cancer for several years.

Her breakthrough came in Emmanuelle, a 1974 erotic tale directed by Frenchman Just Jaeckin, about the sexual adventures of a man and his beautiful young wife, played by Kristel, in Thailand.

She went on to star in several sequels to Emmanuelle, as well as in Hollywood movies including Private Lessons in 1981.

In Hollywood, she sank into a world of drink and drugs. “I wish I could have skipped that part of my life, she said in a 2005 interview with Dutch newspaper De Volkkrant.

Her agent described her as one of the Netherlands’ biggest movie stars, with more than 50 international films to her name.

Among them were many erotically tinted films, including a 1981 adaptation — also directed by Jaeckin — of D.H. Lawrence’s novel Lady Chatterley’s Lover and Mata Hari, four years later.

She was honored in 2006 with a special jury prize at the Tribeca Film Festival for a short animated film she directed called Topor et Moi.

Kristel told De Volkskrant, “love dictated what I did,” saying her former partner, Belgian author Hugo Claus, persuaded her to star in Emmanuelle.

“He said, ‘Thailand, that’s nice, we’ve never been there and anyway the film will never come out in the Netherlands so you won’t put your mother to shame,’” Kristel said. “In the end, 350 million people saw it worldwide.”

Jaeckin, the director who is also a sculptor and has a gallery in Paris, said by telephone that he and Kristel maintained contact, calling each other every three to four months. But he said he hadn’t spoken with her since February.

“I am very sad … She was like a little sister,” Jaeckin said.

“We started together … Emmanuelle brought us big problems. We were a bit marked,” he said. “It was a highly contested film then and now it is a cult film.”

He said that he knew immediately that Kristel was destined for the leading role.
      “When I saw her face, I was thunderstruck,” he said.

In an interview with the French Le Nouvel Observateur magazine, which has an online edition, Jaeckin explained that he went to the Netherlands to cast the role and, “I saw a quantity of very beautiful girls.” Then by chance he saw Kristel, who worked at the agency and was not in the casting call, and immediately knew ,”This is Emmanuelle.”

Kristel is survived by her partner Peter Brul and a son with Claus, Arthur Kristel. She is to be buried at a private funeral. Further details were not released.

Comment

• Yo.

Tazer

Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89K06I20121021

Former U.S. Senator George McGovern, a liberal Democrat and fierce opponent of the Vietnam War whose 1972 presidential race against Richard Nixon led to one of the worst electoral defeats in U.S. history, died on Sunday at the age of 90, his family said.

The McGovern family said he died Sunday morning at Dougherty Hospice House in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, surrounded by family and friends. He had suffered from a combination of medical conditions due to age that had worsened in recent months.

Although he was giving speeches, writing and advising beyond his 90th birthday this summer, McGovern had been hospitalized several times in the past year after complaining of fatigue after a book tour, a fall before a scheduled television appearance, and dizzy spells.

"We are blessed to know that our father lived a long, successful and productive life advocating for the hungry, being a progressive voice for millions and fighting for peace," a statement released by his family said.

Former President Bill Clinton and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said of him: "The world has lost a tireless advocate for human rights and dignity."

McGovern, who served in the Senate for South Dakota from 1963 to 1981, challenged Nixon in 1972 on a platform opposing the war in Vietnam. He suffered one of the most lopsided defeats in U.S. history, taking only 37.5 percent of the vote and winning only Massachusetts and the District of Columbia.

Later, as Nixon's presidency unraveled in the Watergate scandal, bumper stickers saying, "Don't blame me, I'm from Massachusetts," and buttons saying "Don't blame me, I voted for McGovern," appeared.

McGovern was not the first choice of the Democratic Party leadership to serve as their standard bearer in the 1972 race, and his nomination marked a shift away from the influence of party overlords and toward voters determining the nominee through state primaries and caucuses.

His platform not only called for ending the Vietnam War, but greatly reducing defense spending and amnesty for draft evaders. During the campaign he proposed what came to be known as "demogrants" - a $1,000 payment to Americans to guarantee them income and replace some welfare programs - but he eventually dropped that from his campaign.

McGovern's failure to vet his vice presidential running mate Thomas Eagleton thoroughly cast doubts on his judgment when Eagleton announced he had hospitalized himself three times for "nervous exhaustion and fatigue."

He picked former Peace Corps Director Sargent Shriver, a Kennedy family in-law, as Eagleton's replacement but the damage was done.

McGovern found himself facing a well-oiled Republican political machine headed by Nixon.

"I have loathed Richard Nixon since he first came on the national scene wielding his red brush in 1946," McGovern said in his autobiography, referring to Nixon's anti-Communist efforts at the start of the Cold War in the decade immediately after World War Two.

HUMANITARIAN WORK

But McGovern's legacy stretches well beyond his terms in Congress and presidential bids, to social issues, including world hunger and AIDS, said Donald Simmons, director of the McGovern Center for Leadership and Public Service at Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell, South Dakota.

"Outside of the U.S., he is known for his real humanitarian efforts and I think that will be one of his greatest long-term legacies," Simmons said in a telephone interview on Wednesday.

The son of a Methodist minister, McGovern was born July 19, 1922, in Avon, South Dakota, and his family moved six years later to Mitchell, where he graduated from high school in 1940.

McGovern flew combat missions over Europe as a B-24 bomber pilot during World War Two, earning the Distinguished Flying Cross.

He was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1956, and re-elected two years later. After McGovern lost a U.S. Senate election in 1960, President John F. Kennedy named him the first director of the Food for Peace Program.

He also ran for president in 1968 after the assassination of front-runner Robert F. Kennedy and entertained a short-lived bid for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1984.

McGovern said he had moved on from his 1972 defeat, but when another defeated Democratic presidential candidate, Walter Mondale, asked him in 1984 how long it took to get over losing in a landslide, McGovern replied: "I'll let you know when I get there."

As a soft-spoken academic - he was a history and political science professor - and a decorated pilot, McGovern did not fit the model of many of the leaders of the anti-war movement of the 1960s and 1970s.

He became a campaigner for world food issues in his post-politics life. He wrote several books, including an autobiography, the story of his daughter's struggle with alcoholism, and "What it Means to Be a Democrat," which was released last year.

McGovern also continued to make television appearances and write editorials and commentaries and often lamented what he saw as a lack of a true public debate on policy issues from members of both parties.

In 2000, President Bill Clinton awarded McGovern the Presidential Medal of Freedom, America's highest civilian honor.

In October 2007, McGovern endorsed Senator Hillary Clinton for the Democratic presidential nomination but seven months later switched to Senator Barack Obama and urged Clinton to drop out of the race.

McGovern's family has encouraged people to give to the charity Feeding South Dakota (www.feedingsouthdakota.org) if they wish to offer donations in memory of the senator.

McGovern and his wife Eleanor, who died in 2007, had five children.

Services will be held in Sioux Falls, the family said. Details will be announced shortly.

In the last book, McGovern summed up his political philosophy by writing: "Above all, being a Democrat means having compassion for others. It means putting government to work to help the people who need it. It means using all available tools to provide good health care and education, job opportunities, safe neighborhoods, a healthy environment, a promising future."

Comment

• Could a mod rename this "in memorial" or "in memoriam" (if Weirdo approves, of course), please? The joke's played and it would seem a little classier/more respectful.

Edit:
            And speaking of respectful, McGovern finally beat Tricky Dick in one way!
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 10-21-2012, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
              Could a mod rename this "in memorial" or "in memoriam" (if Weirdo approves, of course), please? The joke's played and it would seem a little classier/more respectful.
              Yes, I would be fine with that happening.

Comment

• Yo.

Tazer

Comment

• Natina Reed, Musician & Star of Bring It On, Dead at 32

http://www.eonline.com/news/357888/n...mdb_topstories

Natina Reed, member of the R&B group Blaque and star of the 2000 cheerleading flick Bring It On, has died at age 32 after being struck by a car near Atlanta, E! News has confirmed.
                  According to a press release sent from the Gwinnett (Ga.) Police Department to E! News, police received a call of a pedestrian hit by a vehicle at about 10:30 p.m. yesterday. "The driver of the vehicle contacted 911 to request assistance," the press release states. "Natina Reed was pronounced dead at Gwinnett Medical Center at 10:59 p.m. E.S.T."
                  "Preliminary information indicates that Reed was in the roadway on Lawrenceville Highway near Hamilton Road when struck," the release continues. Though the investigation is ongoing, the release states that the driver "was determined to be not at fault and there are no charges pending."
                  Gary Collins, TV host and actor, dead at 74
                  Reed was a protege of TLC's Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes, who herself died in an car accident in 2002. Reed is survived by her 10-year-old son, Tren Brown, whose father is the rapper Kurupt. Sunday would have been her 33rd birthday.
                  Fellow Blacque members Brandi Williams and Shamari Fears-DeVoe issued a joint statment today:
                  "We are devastated by the loss of our group member, sister and friend Natina Reed. Because of the enormous support of Blaque fans and our love for each another, Blaque officially reunited this fall and we were in the process of working on a new album and a reality show. Natina continuously embodied the pioneering spirit of Blaque and her undeniable creativity touched the hearts of fans everywhere. Natina was a mother, sister, accomplished songwriter, artist and friend. We ask for your prayers at this time for Natina's family. She will forever be missed and her global influence eternally felt. We thank God for the experiences we shared."
                  Twitter has also been teeming with tributes to Reed.
                  "Last night the world was changed forever, life will never be the same....she was my sister," tweeted her bandmate Williams.
                  "#RIP #Sad #BringItOn," her Bring It On costar Gabrielle Union added.
                  Questlove of The Roots offered, "man. in eerie Left Eye fashion....rip to Blaque's Natina Reed," also posting a link to a Blaque video.

Comment

• http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...lated-illness/

Teri Shields raised eyebrows when she allowed her 11-year-old daughter, Brooke, to be cast as a prostitute in 1978's "Pretty Baby." A few years later, she permitted a teenage Brooke Shields to famously star in a series of commercials for Calvin Klein jeans, provocatively professing that nothing comes between "me and my Calvins."
                    Teri Shields died last week in New York City, according to Jill Fritzo, a spokeswoman for Brooke Shields. The New York Times reported the elder Shields died following a long illness related to dementia.
                    Teri Shields started promoting her daughter as an actress and model when she was still an infant and managed her until her 20s. Shields described her daughter's fan appeal in a 1978 TV interview: "They see total innocence, which is totally there. And two, they have the sexy child too, they have the sexy person -- that appeals to them."
                    Brooke Shields parted ways professionally with her mother in 1995, describing the move as "the hardest thing." She told Rolling Stone the following year that "something didn't feel right."
                    "I had hopes and dreams, and I wasn't doing anything to go toward them," she said. "The focus was on creating a persona rather than a talent."
                    Teri Shields said in 1996 that she was proud of her daughter for taking control of her life and career.
                    "I felt that she had to be on her own. It kills me once in a while. I would like to get over it," she said in an interview on TV's "Extra." `'I would love for Brooke to be my best friend, but you can't because I am her mother and she is my daughter."
                    Shields is survived by a sister and two granddaughters.

Comment

• RIP Clive Dunn

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20239694

Actor Clive Dunn, best known for his role as Lance Corporal "Jonesy" Jones in Dad's Army, has died aged 92.

He died in Portugal on Tuesday from complications following an operation.

Dunn - whose famous catchphrases included "Don't panic, don't panic" and "They don't like it up 'em" - became a recording star in 1971 when his record, Grandad, reached number one.

Frank Williams, who played the Vicar on Dad's Army, said he was always "great fun" to be around.

"Of course he was so much younger than the part he played," he told BBC Radio Four. "It's very difficult to think of him as an old man really.

Dunn's autobiography, Permission to Speak, was titled after one of Jonesy's catchphrases.

"But he was a wonderful person to work with - great sense of humour, always fun, a great joy really."

Born in London in January 1920, Dunn studied at the Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts.

He made his first forays into acting in the 1930s, appearing alongside Will Hay in Boys Will Be Boys in 1935 and Good Morning Boys in 1937.

His acting career was interrupted by World War II, during which he spent four years as a German prisoner.

The actor would later say that Dad's Army, which ran from 1968 to 1977, was his revenge on his former captors.

The much-loved show featured the exploits of a Home Guard platoon formed to protect the seaside village of Walmington-on-Sea from possible German attack during World War II.

As well as Dad's Army, Dunn also appeared in such TV shows as Bootsie and Snudge, My Old Man and Grandad.

His last screen credit came playing the Shakespearean clown Verges in a 1984 TV version of Much Ado About Nothing.

He spent his last three decades in Portugal, where he occupied himself as an artist painting portraits, landscapes and seascapes until his sight failed.

Dad's Army cast member Frank Williams (centre) said Dunn was "a great joy" to work with.

Dunn, who was awarded an OBE in 1975, spent much of his acting life playing characters older than himself.

Even at 19 he played a doddery old man in a production of JM Barrie's play Mary Rose.

Dunn's agent, Peter Charlesworth, said he would be "sorely missed" and that his death was "a real loss to the acting profession".

Dunn's final interview appeared in the most recent issue of The Oldie magazine, which made him its cover star.

Writer Paul Bailey travelled to Dunn's cottage in Portugal in early September in order to speak to him.

He told BBC News the 92-year old was "almost completely blind and hard of hearing" but still loved "a good joke and a glass of wine".

"I asked him a fairly silly question: 'What is it like to be 92?'" he said. "He replied, 'The same as it was to be 91'."

Mr Bailey said Dunn was "very stoic" when talking about his time as a PoW during the war. "He joked about it in a very English, self-deprecating way."

A cartoon of Dunn appears on the cover of the latest edition of The Oldie.

Speaking to the actor in his artist's studio, Mr Bailey said Dunn's great sadness was that his failing eyesight meant he could not longer indulge in his passion for painting.

Broadcaster Stephen Fry has also paid tribute, saying he was "saddened to hear of the death of Clive Dunn, the immortal Corporal Jones from Dad's Army".

Referring to Dunn's hit song Grandad, Father Ted writer Graham Linehan tweeted: "I love that he recorded this, then lived another 41 years."

"I had assumed that because he looked 85 at 40 that Clive Dunn was immortal," remarked comedian David Baddiel on his Twitter feed.

Tony Pritchard of the Dad's Army Appreciation Society said Dunn had attended various conventions organised with the society and was "immensely popular" with its members.

"I met him many times over the years," he told BBC Radio Gloucestershire. "He was just a nice chap. He always had a joke to tell and was full of humour."

Dunn is survived by his wife Priscilla Morgan and their two daughters, Jessica and Polly.
                      Mister.Weirdo
                      Guardian of the Universe
                      Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 11-07-2012, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• Yo.

http://www.eonline.com/news/357888/n...mdb_topstories

Natina Reed, member of the R&B group Blaque and star of the 2000 cheerleading flick Bring It On, has died at age 32 after being struck by a car near Atlanta, E! News has confirmed.

---------

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...lated-illness/

Teri Shields raised eyebrows when she allowed her 11-year-old daughter, Brooke, to be cast as a prostitute in 1978's "Pretty Baby." A few years later, she permitted a teenage Brooke Shields to famously star in a series of commercials for Calvin Klein jeans, provocatively professing that nothing comes between "me and my Calvins."
                        Teri Shields died last week in New York City, according to Jill Fritzo, a spokeswoman for Brooke Shields. The New York Times reported the elder Shields died following a long illness related to dementia.

----------------

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20239694

Actor Clive Dunn, best known for his role as Lance Corporal "Jonesy" Jones in Dad's Army, has died aged 92.

He died in Portugal on Tuesday from complications following an operation.

Dunn - whose famous catchphrases included "Don't panic, don't panic" and "They don't like it up 'em" - became a recording star in 1971 when his record, Grandad, reached number one.

Tazer

Comment

• Yo.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/lucille-bli...ies-at-96.html

Lucille Bliss, voice of Smurfette, dies at 96

Tazer

Comment

• Yo.

Im guessin' that Wierdo must be sleepin' off some turkey, cuz Im about to do his job YET AGAIN (): http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...f23_story.html

Actress Deborah Raffin dies of leukemia at age 59

Tazer
                            Tazer
                            That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
                            Last edited by Tazer; 11-24-2012, 04:16 AM.

Comment

• Okay, thanks. I really haven't found any news of any recent deaths, so it's good that someone is helping me.

Comment

• Yo.

SLACKER!!

Tazer

Comment

Working...
                                X