Mister.Weirdo's Memorial Thread For Those Who Will NOT Be Down For Breakfast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ds-dies-394251

Marty Richards, a theater and film producer, died Monday at the age of 80, Playbill reports.

Richards' Broadway credits included Sweeney Todd, two different productions of La Cage aux Folles, Crimes of the Heart, The Will Rogers Follies, The Life and The Norman Conquests, a number of which earned him Tony Awards. Other notable stage productions included On the Twentieth Century, Grand Hotel and Sweet Smell of Success.

He also produced 2002's Oscar-winning movie adaptation of the musical Chicago, along with 1980's The Shining and 1978's The Boys From Brazil. In 2006, Richards sued Miramax for a portion of Chicago's revenue and the lawsuit was settled a few years later.

In 1976, Richards founded the movie and theater production company Producer Circle Co. His latest musical, Big Maybelle: Soul of the Blues, opened in August.

Richards and his late wife, Mary Lea Johnson, were instrumental in the creation of Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS and Meals on Wheels. Known to be philanthropic, he created New York Center for Children to care for abused children and families and also established the liver and kidney transplant unit at the NYU Medical Center, which was named after his wife.

Richards is survived by his brother Bruce Klein and a niece and nephew.

Funeral services will take place at Frank Campbell Funeral Chapel in New York City, with visitation on Nov. 28 and 29.

Comment

• http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...-dies-94-66626

Esme Chandlee, a pioneering female publicist who began her career opening fan mail at MGM in 1942 and went on to represent Judy Garland and Clark Gable, has died. She was 94.

She died in her sleep on Nov. 24 at her Hollywood Hills home, her friend Tony Rizzo told TheWrap on Tuesday.

At MGM, Chandlee was one of a handful of publicists who worked with Elizabeth Taylor, Ava Gardner, Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Grace Kelly, Lesley Caron, Lionel Barrymore, James Stewart and other contract players at the studio.

"A lot of women in publicity owe their success to Esme and women like her," publicist Henri Bollinger told TheWrap Tuesday.

Bollinger worked with Chandlee starting in 1958, when she left MGM and joined the PR firm Cleary, Strauss & Irvin as an associate. She brought her client Gable, among others, with her.

"She was a ground breaker, one of the first women to represent the biggest stars," Bollinger recalled. "She was the ultimate lady, always dressed to the nines and well-coifed. She was a lovely individual, down to earth and at the same time, very, very protective of clients -- exactly what those stars wanted in their representatives."

In 1961, she opened Esme Chandlee Public Relations, where her first clients were John Cassavetes and Gena Rowlands.

“She was absolutely the queen of them all,” Rowlands said years later. “I was with Esme since she left MGM. She was the ultimate in class."

In 1968, Chandlee began representing Tom Selleck and Sam Elliott, and she stayed on the job until she retired at the age of 89.

Chandlee served as president of the Hollywood Women’s Press Club and the Publicists Guild. She received the guild’s highest honor, the Les Mason Award, in 1984.

“She came to me and said she’d like to help me,” Selleck recalled when she won the award. “I told her I had no money, and she said that wasn’t an issue right then. To learn what a publicist was from someone with Esme’s integrity and professionalism was a blessing."

She also worked as an associate producer on one of the first celebrity interview TV shows, "Here's Hollywood," from 1960-62.

Chandlee had a wealth of stories to tell and one of her favorites, according to Rizzo, came from the day Gable was leaving MGM at the end of his contract. Chandlee asked the star if there was anything he wanted, and Gable replied: "I want to ride off the lot quietly, with you in the car."

Chandlee is survived by her great-nephew Matt Nix, creator of USA Network’s "Burn Notice"; his sister Esme; his mother and father Susan and Philip; Nix’s wife Melinda and their children Charlie, Esme and Mateo; and Chandlee’s niece Lee Turner.

Plans for a service are pending, Rizzo said.

Comment

• Yo.

nods to Blue Lantern: http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-wo...itive-thinking

Zig Ziglar dies; motivational speaker focused on positive thinking

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
        Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Yo.

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
          http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...an-dies-393900

Dinah Sheridan, who starred in the quintessential British classics The Railway Children and Genevieve, died Sunday at her home in Northwood, Middlesex, England. She was 92.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ds-dies-394251

Marty Richards, a theater and film producer, died Monday at the age of 80, Playbill reports.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...-dies-94-66626

Esme Chandlee, a pioneering female publicist who began her career opening fan mail at MGM in 1942 and went on to represent Judy Garland and Clark Gable, has died. She was 94.

Tazer

Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2223822.html

Actor Pat Renella has died, The Hollywood Reporter confirms.

Renella, who starred in the 1970s TV series "Mannix," as well as gangster Johnny Ross who's killed by Steve McQueen in the 1968 crime thriller "Bullitt," was 83.

The legendary character actor, who worked in Hollywood for more than five decades, died on Nov. 9 at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, Calif., after a lengthy illness, his niece Judy Portone told THR.

Renella's film resume also includes "Riot on Sunset Strip" (1967), "Run for the Roses" (1977), "General Hospital" (1980) and "Beverly Hills Brats" (1989). He was a member of SAG for more than 50 years.

Renella is survived by his sister Florence, nephew Steven and Portone.

Comment

• Yo.

Tazer

Comment

• http://www.wptv.com/dpp/entertainmen...#ixzz2E7QYjzai

Hollywood directors PETER JACKSON and JAMES CAMERON have paid tribute to visual effects producer EILEEN MORAN following her death in New Zealand.

Jackson and his wife Fran Walsh broke the news about Moran, who worked on a number of the moviemaker's films including The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, in a note to staff at his visual effects company Weta Digital on Monday (03Dec12), according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The note reads, "Fran and I are terribly upset at the news that we lost Eileen a couple of hours ago. She was a lovely, decent person who had great respect for all the artists she worked with.

"Eileen was so proud of Weta and the work all of you have done over the years. She was fiercely loyal to the company, and to Fran and I personally, and we will always be grateful for her friendship."

Moran, who was in her mid-50s, was unable to attend the world premiere of The Hobbit movie in New Zealand last week (28Nov12) because she was in hospital, but no information is known about her cause of death as WENN goes to press.

The producer had teamed up with Jackson several times in the past, on films including King Kong and The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and she also worked on James Cameron's Avatar.

Cameron says, "Eileen was an integral part of building Weta Digital into the most powerful engine for imaginative imagery that ever existed, and she shepherded some of the milestone films of her generation to completion."

Moran served as leader on the Weta Digital team that won the Best Visual Effects Oscar for sci-fi blockbuster Avatar in 2009, and she won an award from the Visual Effects Society for her work on King Kong, as well as two more for Avatar. In 2011, she was nominated for Steven Spielberg's The Adventures of Tintin.

She also worked on movies such as Fight Club, I, Robot, X-Men: The Last Stand, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, The Lovely Bones and this year's (12) Prometheus.

Moran is survived by her children, Jack and Ava.

Comment

• Yo.

Tazer

Comment

• We need some more interesting people to kick the bucket. It's been a while since a young star died after a coke binge in a club. Hollywood is letting me down for scratching my morbid enjoyment itch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                      We need some more interesting people to kick the bucket. It's been a while since a young star died after a coke binge in a club. Hollywood is letting me down for scratching my morbid enjoyment itch.

Comment

• http://www.boston.com/business/news/...2FJ/story.html

Dave Brubeck, legend who helped define jazz, dies

Note: The article I found is quite long so I'm not going to post the whole thing like I usually do.

Comment

• http://www.fridaythe13thfranchise.co...n-melissa.html

Not exactly 'recent', but may be news to Friday the 13th fans.

Comment

• She dies three years ago and we're just hearing about this now? F13 alumni passing away IS a big deal! 46 is awful young, but not quite the drug overdose scandal I was looking for. This chick played a great villain/bitch in part 7.

Comment

• The knit they link doesn't seem to match up how she should have looked.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                                She dies three years ago and we're just hearing about this now?
                                Apparently, there were rumors. The confirmation came much later unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                                X