Grant Morrison Responds To Alan Moore's Ongoing Criticism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grant Morrison Responds To Alan Moore's Ongoing Criticism

Couldn't decide whether to post this here or in the Other Comics section so I'll leave it to the mods to do with it as they see fit.

Anyways the entire article is quite long and well worth a read but I thought I'd just go ahead and post the two excerpts that I felt were the most relevant.

The Strange Case of Grant Morrison and Alan Moore, As Told By Grant Morrison
    Moore includes Geoff Johns among the “parasites” and “raccoons” rooting through his trash. Why? Because Johns seasoned his own epic expansion of the Green Lantern mythos with a couple of minor elements from Moore’s Green Lantern short story “Tygers” (1986) – a story that was itself created to make sense of a plot hole in the 1959 Green Lantern origin by Gardner Fox!

So, in fact, both Moore and Johns were simply doing their work-for-hire jobs by adding to and expanding upon the many-authored quilt that is DC, and specifically Green Lantern, continuity. In a shared narrative universe, such as those of DC or Marvel, any element introduced into the continuity surely becomes part of the backstory and is therefore available to other writers to build upon or incorporate. Johns’ Green Lantern work and the “Blackest Night” story in particular would have worked as well without any reference to “Tygers”, in fact. Why the sneering, dehumanizing putdown? Who chastises a man for the unspeakable crime of synthesizing prior elements of Green Lantern’s back story into his own fresh and personal creative vision for the character, m’lud?

Would Moore have appreciated a comparison to vermin snuffling among Gardner Fox’s garbage for treats when he brought Fox’s Floronic Man back from the archives to feature in a “Swamp Thing” (Len Wein’s trash!) story? What obsessive snouting around in the municipal tip does “League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” reduce to if we regard Alan Moore’s endeavours through the same unforgiving lens he applies to Geoff Johns’ work?

Geoff Johns like the rest of us, has his own identifiable obsessions as a writer. He has his own interests, his own points of view, and his own way of articulating his ideas via his chosen medium. I know for a fact that Geoff has seen and done and endured things in his life that Alan Moore is unlikely ever to experience, yet Moore automatically brands him creatively bankrupt and tries to insists that Johns’ imagination is so low on fuel, it relies for sustenance on his own. If I can speak up for a friend, Geoff Johns, like the rest of us, like anyone who picks up a pen to earn a living, has plenty to say and, with all respect, he doesn’t need Alan Moore’s help to say it.
    I find it tragic but quite pertinent to this piece that the loudest voice in our business – the one that carries the furthest and is taken most seriously by the mainstream media – is the one that offers nothing but contempt and denunciation, with barely a single good word to say about any of the many accomplished and individual writers currently working in mainstream comics, let alone the wealth of brilliant indie creators.

Does he ever, for instance, use his high media profile to do anything other than steer potential readers away from modern comic books and their creators – while over-playing his own achievements and placing himself centre stage at every turn? How hard would it be to say something encouraging, positive, or hopeful about the generally improved standard of writing in all comic books these days? Or at least say nothing at all.

And if I may untangle the logic behind so much of his hectoring: Moore constantly reiterates the idea that all modern comics are copied from stuff he did in the ’80s – and they’re all rubbish!

Is he genuinely saying that his influence has been entirely malignant? If he actually believed that, I’d almost feel sorry for him. I see my own influence all over the place and I’m quite chuffed.

Moore is such an asshole.
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

Pretty much.

Comment

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of Geoff Johns' GL writing, but I agree with Morrison 100% on this.
          The last fan of 1990s comics
          Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

My problem with comics today isn't anything close to what Moore continues to whine about. Not raising the bar? Yeah, THAT'S a valid criticism. Where are the Watchmen and Sandman level stories today? Why aren't comics better than they are? Less than stellar stories and editorial driven directions are killing comics. But taking ideas previous writers contributed and expanding upon them? Why the fuck would THAT be a bad thing?!?!? Moore made a goddamn CAREER out of mining other people's creativity, and that was a GREAT thing! Why is what's good for he goose NOT good for the gander?

Mr. Moore, thank you for Watchmen, V For Vendetta, Swamp Thing, and a few other childhood favorites. Now please kindly, get the fuck off the stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
              Not raising the bar? Yeah, THAT'S a valid criticism. Where are the Watchmen and Sandman level stories today? Why aren't comcs better than they are? Less than stellar stories and editorial driven directions are killing comics.
              And to be fair, those criticisms only apply to the really big publishers.
              The last fan of 1990s comics
              Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                  ...Mr. Moore, thank you for Watchmen, V For Vendetta, Swamp Thing, and a few other childhood favorites. Now please kindly, get the fuck off the stage.
                  Pretty much this. I do think Watchmen is as good as it gets or can get in comics but Moore himself is someone I wouldn't want to know personally and his latest stuff is not at the same level.

Comment

The “Blackest Night” story in particular would have worked as well without any reference to “Tygers”, in fact.
                    That's where I stopped reading the first quote.

But yeah, Alan Moore:
                    Kuhan
                    Last edited by Kuhan; 11-28-2012, 01:42 AM.
                    [center]

Originally posted by W.West
                    DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!

Comment

The problem is Moore has had his cock sucked WAY too often and too well by fans over the decades. We gave him this pedestal we put him and his work on, can we really be surprised that he buys his own shit? He litterally calls people out for the same shit he built a career doing. His hypocrisy is mind boggling.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                        Pretty much this. I do think Watchmen is as good as it gets or can get in comics but Moore himself is someone I wouldn't want to know personally and his latest stuff is not at the same level.
                        Happens to many greats in the modern era of storytelling in all sorts of media, their egos and status get bigger than their storytelling skills. Something to be said for the greats in the pre-connected world when many of their great works weren't even discovered until their death or end of their life.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Comment

Been going on for a while??

Comment

I'd buy that but I'd hope they use their magician skills.

Comment

Working...
                              X