No announcement yet.

Martial Arts Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^Well, a good wire-fu flick whose violence and even sexuality (it just shows the governor chasing after girls, IIRC) is very stylized, even cartoony, is Iron Monkey.

Among Bruce Lee's movies, Return of the Dragon is technically rated R but only because PG-13 didn't exist at the time. You might want to look for more info on that though. I can't swear that you never see breasts, but I don't recall that. Still, that one may be pushing it. I just remember seeing it as a kid and loving Lee vs. Norris, but then again, my (weekend) father was not as careful with censoring me.

Many, if not most, of Jackie Chan's movies are pretty safe with no nudity because he aimed for that. I love one called First Strike (you do briefly . Rumble in the Bronx is really just street fighting and is fun (partly in seeing Hong Kong try to pass as NYC!). The Armour of God series is like China's kung fu answer to Indiana Jones.

Even more kid-friendly is Forbidden Kingdom, which is about a kid who is a kung fu fan and magically gets sent to feudal China, where Chan teaches him. That one is specifically made as a family film. That would probably be my #1 choice.

Oh, and it would probably be nearly impossible to track down, but Sidekicks (1992), is similarly about a kid (Jonathan Brandis) who idolozes Chuck Norris and fantasizing about being a karate hero. That's a family-oriented one too.

Comment

• Yo.

+ YouTube Video
      ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
      Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Yo.

saw this 2 weeks ago:

this was a fun movie; not JCs best, but def far from his worst. Knoxville made me chuckle some with his physical comedy -contributions (their scene in the Mongolian desert with the horse dumping a load was pretty funny, if yur not putoff by that type of humor), but the "Midnight Run" -plotline was very predictable.

still worth watching however.

Tazer

Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tazer View Post

this was a fun movie; not JCs best, but def far from his worst. Knoxville made me chuckle some with his physical comedy -contributions (their scene in the Mongolian desert with the horse dumping a load was pretty funny, if yur not putoff by that type of humor), but the "Midnight Run" -plotline was very predictable.
          Midnight Run comedy, eh? Okay.

Space Cop
          The Dandy
          Last edited by Space Cop; 09-13-2016, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• Yo.

just finished watching the following:

+ YouTube Video
            ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Tazer

Comment

• I watched Birth of the Dragon over the weekend, which was just okay for me. This would have been much better if a cheap romance to attract the casual viewer wasn't shoe-horned into the film... and man, did they make Bruce Lee look like an arrogant prick all throughout. It was almost hard to root for him. Still enjoyed it because I love martial arts flicks, but it could have been so much better.

Philip Ng played the role of Bruce Lee well enough, but I actually found Wong Jack Man a more interesting character.

Comment

• ^Sorry to hear that. I had hopes from the first trailer, though come to think of it, I thought he came across as cocky. IIRC, though, Lee admitted to being a trouble maker as a young man.

Comment

• It's not bad and definitely worth a viewing, especially as a martial arts fan, but it could have been much better... and Lee wasn't a trouble maker in the film, just extremely arrogant and full of himself; it's not how you'd expect a Sifu to conduct themselves, but maybe this portrayal is accurate. I'm not sure...

Comment

• ^It's been a while since I read up on Lee, so I don't remember it that well. There's a biography show on Netflix about him (apparently 10 years old), but it's in Chinese (no dubs) and like 50 episodes long so I haven't tried it yet (I watch a lot of Netflix stuff kind of in the background and I can't doing that while readings subs).

Comment

• Yo.

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
                      I watched Birth of the Dragon over the weekend, which was just okay for me. This would have been much better if a cheap romance to attract the casual viewer wasn't shoe-horned into the film... and man, did they make Bruce Lee look like an arrogant prick all throughout. It was almost hard to root for him. Still enjoyed it because I love martial arts flicks, but it could have been so much better.

Philip Ng played the role of Bruce Lee well enough, but I actually found Wong Jack Man a more interesting character.
                      I caught this a few weeks back cuz I was eagerly looking forward to it & I missed it in the theaters (for the REALLY BRIEF amount of time it was there).....and Im glad I did; I found the whole "fighting with Jack Man causes him to re-assess his approach to M.A.'s, and leads to the development of Jeet Kune Do" -thing kinda boring & dumb, but it was the fact that Lee wasn't even the main character of the movie (I mean cmon, his student w/the love story was) that really killed any "like" I could've had for this flick.

for a better vehicle w/Ng in it, I heartily recommend Once Upon a Time in Shanghai (w/Sammo Hung).

Tazer

Comment

• So, just to spark some conversation in this thread and because watching Kill Bill Vol. 2 made me think about it, what are your top five favorite kung fu movies? I'd like to limit this particular conversation to just kung fu movies, i.e., no Japanese, Thai, Korean, or American martial arts (mostly because that complicates things), but if that's hard, we can start another topic. Here's mine:

(1) Enter the Dragon
                        (2) Executioners from Shaolin
                        (3) Fist of Legend
                        (4) Chinese Connection (Fist of Fury)
                        (5) Iron Monkey

if expanded to 10, I would add

(6) Ip Man
                        (7) Return of the Dragon
                        (8) Drunken Master (#1)
                        (9) House of Flying Daggers
                        (10) Mad Monkey Kung Fu (or possibly Crouching Tiger or First Strike)

Even that is leaving a lot of movies I really like behind (like the Shaolin Chamber series), but I have to stop somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                          Yo.

I caught this a few weeks back cuz I was eagerly looking forward to it & I missed it in the theaters (for the REALLY BRIEF amount of time it was there).....and Im glad I did; I found the whole "fighting with Jack Man causes him to re-assess his approach to M.A.'s, and leads to the development of Jeet Kune Do" -thing kinda boring & dumb, but it was the fact that Lee wasn't even the main character of the movie (I mean cmon, his student w/the love story was) that really killed any "like" I could've had for this flick.

for a better vehicle w/Ng in it, I heartily recommend Once Upon a Time in Shanghai (w/Sammo Hung).

Tazer
                          I looked for this film on Netflix, but they don't offer it.

As far as a top 5 martial arts films @SpaceCop, I'd go with:

1. Enter the Dragon
                          2. Fist of Fury
                          3. The Matrix - While not a traditional Martial arts film, the fighting styles are incorporated all throughout.
                          4. IP Man
                          5. Fist of Legend (which I need to watch again)

While the wire-fu movies are entertaining, the fantasy element detracts from the fighting, in my opinion.

Comment

• Good thing I remembered this thread existed.

Review for Man of Tai Chi (2013).
                            Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Yeah, that was a pretty good one. There's probably even some discussion of it somewhere below here. Keanu was a pretty good cold bad guy.

Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 09-30-2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• + http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzKoO...GOn0X&index=70" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzKoO...GOn0X&index=70"> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzKoO...GOn0X&index=70" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

Working...
                                X