• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tazer View Post
    Yo.ok, thats just hot right there....... Tazer
    It really is.

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
    I have this on DVD as well, but remember being somewhat disappointed. I'll have to watch this again.
    It was truly critically acclaimed. I like House of Flying Daggers a bit more but those two and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon are the top of the wushu/wire flicks.

a good Li ma-flick would easily be Fearless; good fighting performances, decent historical adaptation of a real folk hero, and a VERY well-done ending to seal the deal.
    r
    Fearless is great. Different kind of movie. Jet Li has proven that he can do the real fighting and real acting.

Speaking of "Wire-Fu," how do you guys feel about that? I thought it worked in a few flicks (CTHD), but when they started incorporating it into everything martial arts, it just detracts from how good the sparring sequences are and tip toes into the realm of fantasy. All martial arts flicks don't need to have characters flying from rooftops and tree branches to be visually stimulating.
    Well, I think I mentioned below that I've grown to like them for what they're worth. I used to shun them because I grew up on Bruce Lee who hated any wire work in his flicks. But those 3 above do it well. I've come to think of the wushu movies like opera or art house flicks. They're purpose isn't to show off the strength or technical martial ability of the actors but for the beauty of movement. In fact Zhang Ziyi (whose in all 3 of the above titles) has a background in Chinese folk dancing, not martial arts.

I thought we could talk about them here because they're still "about" kung fu. And also it's hard to draw the line between pure martial arts and wire movies. For instance, Jet Li does both. And Shaw Brothers (who fit more into strict MA movies) used wires, sometimes quite extensively (witness some of the impossible jumps in 36th Chamber of Shaolin).

Comment

Story of Ricky, it is a regular entry, when we have our Trash Movie Fest with our friends.

You need a lot of alcohol to get through that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OihS-bo9io4

+ YouTube Video
      ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
      Shaolinlantern
      Parallax Host
      Last edited by Shaolinlantern; 05-10-2013, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I wish I knew a bunch of guys that would do trash movie marathons. The closest I can get is watching back-to-back slashers with one friend or the occasional Ed Wood with my mother (she wouldn't do two though).

"Camp" and "so bad it's good" are definitely in my vocabulary.

Comment

Yo.

ya know, if U got Skype and everybody had a copy of the movie(s) (OR, were all watching thee same stream), ya could easily do just that no matter how much distance separated ya'll.

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
          Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Yo.

ya know, if U got Skype and everybody had a copy of the movie(s) (OR, were all watching thee same stream), ya could easily do just that no matter how much distance separated ya'll.

Tazer
            This sounds like an amazing idea. We should do this with The Warriors Three, watch Daredevil or something. Or Elektra.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Yo.

....................fucker!! Ive been doing my best to forget that movie (Elektra) existed, and U go on and say its name.

curse U JohnnyV..................CURSE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tazer

Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Castle View Post
                If you want to talk about under rated martial art stars then Mark Dacascos is the winner. How this guy isn't bigger news I dont know. ... Then we have the cream of the bunch, Drive. Easily for me one of the best action movies ever made. Yes I'm putting it up there with DieHard, Lethal Weapon, Hard Boiled etc. It's got everything you want from an action/kung fu movie. So it's budget is not as big, but big deal, the film is pure awesome.

Just watched it. Loved it. You're right. This should've gotten more attention. And even though the main good guy and the main baddie are sort-of super-powered, even the final fight was pretty realistic. All of them were good. The jokes were funny.

Also, I forgot how cute Brittany Murphy was. I don't usually like pushy nymphos but she was adorable in this.

Comment

His father ( Al Dacascos) was the kung fu teacher of my teacher
                  Shaolinlantern
                  Parallax Host
                  Last edited by Shaolinlantern; 05-11-2013, 02:23 PM.

Comment

I thought I was the only one who saw Drive. Man I love that movie. But for me The masters of Kung-FU will always be the Shaw Brothers. Kid with the Golden Arm, Chinese Super Ninjas. Those are my go to flicks.

Anybody else remember a time whne the mom and pop vhs stores were filled with Ninja Movies with the Great Sho Kusagui? Ninja 3 the Domination 80's cheese at its best!
                    Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Originally Posted by Space Cop
                      Also, I forgot how cute Brittany Murphy was. I don't usually like pushy nymphos but she was adorable in this.
                      Yeah she was cool. This was long before she blew up though, even back then I thought she was cute. The funny thing about Drive was I didn't even know about it, till it showed up randomly on TV way back in maybe 99/2000 or something. I think it did win a few indie awards back then too, still needed way more promotion though, but obviously theirs a small budget. In a world without twitter and youtube etc like now, it was probably hard to compete with bigger action movies.

Yeah the one liners in there are great, and the fight at the end is epic, they were superpowered but not too OTT like a recent movie you just watched. I just love what I will call his finishing move, that punch, can't explain why I just do.

Originally posted by Shaolinlantern View Post
                      That's great.

THE MEN CALLED STING

Comment

Originally posted by Shaolinlantern View Post
                        That's pretty cool.

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
                        ...Anybody else remember a time whne the mom and pop vhs stores were filled with Ninja Movies with the Great Sho Kusagui? Ninja 3 the Domination 80's cheese at its best!
                        I guess so. I always thought of the video stores as full of direct-to-VHS horror flicks.

Originally posted by Frank Castle View Post
                        ...but obviously theirs a small budget. In a world without twitter and youtube etc like now, it was probably hard to compete with bigger action movies...
                        Yeah, but they did a fair amount with whatever money they had. There are a fair amount of scene changes and they blew up a friggin' motel.

Comment

Drunken Master (1978)

"I've got style."

The beginning of Jackie Chan's comedic kung fu flicks. Actually, as goofy as it is, you can see how talented he is to be able to switch styles, fall, and sway just right.

Drunken Style is a real kung fu style and it had been used in many movies before this but this is unusual in making the master and training about it. Also uses that gimmick (seen a bit in 36th Chamber of Shaolin) that Karate Kid would later run with---using ordinary tasks to train.

Space Cop
                          The Dandy
                          Last edited by Space Cop; 05-12-2013, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Speaking of "Wire-Fu," how do you guys feel about that? I thought it worked in a few flicks (CTHD), but when they started incorporating it into everything martial arts, it just detracts from how good the sparring sequences are and tip toes into the realm of fantasy. All martial arts flicks don't need to have characters flying from rooftops and tree branches to be visually stimulating.
                            The Matrix was all "Wire-Fu." I believe most action films use a form of "Wire-Fu."
                            Darth_Primus
                            Guardian of the Universe
                            Last edited by Darth_Primus; 05-13-2013, 06:01 PM.
                            You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Yo.

has any1 seen this yet:

Tazer

Comment

Shu Qi in a Stephen Chow movie ??

Comment

Working...
                                X