Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
    I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt until there's actual proof
    I certainly want to. I've always seen Bill Cosby as a genuinely good guy, and darn funny, too. The numbers of people coming forward ARE kind of overwhelming, though. I have no problem believing that a few of them might be attention-seeking fakes out to somehow get money from a celebrity...but THAT many? Like I said, I WANT to believe him.

Comment

• It's Bill Cosby, so I wouldn't be surprised if all 74 were money seeking fakes, they probably know they're gonna get money to shut up

Comment

• Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
        It's Bill Cosby, so I wouldn't be surprised if all 74 were money seeking fakes, they probably know they're gonna get money to shut up

Well, considering Cosby officially resigned from the board of trustees at Temple University, I doubt they'd get much more now.

And I doubt that they're all fakes, especially considering that some of them are Hollywood actresses. The statute of limitations has expired on some of these crimes, so there isn't legal pressure from all of them. Where there's this much smoke, there's bound to be fire.

Comment

• Originally posted by fearless2814.1 View Post
          And I doubt that they're all fakes, especially considering that some of them are Hollywood actresses. The statute of limitations has expired on some of these crimes, so there isn't legal pressure from all of them. Where there's this much smoke, there's bound to be fire.
          "Twixt truth and madness lies but a sliver of a stream."

Why wait until now to come out, though? These complaints should have been filed eons ago, and that's what makes my Spider sense tingle. I would guess that at least half of these women have no burden of proof aside from "I was at so-and-so on XX day", and are looking for a quick and easy payday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post

Why wait until now to come out, though? These complaints should have been filed eons ago, and that's what makes my Spider sense tingle. I would guess that at least half of these women have no burden of proof aside from "I was at so-and-so on XX day", and are looking for a quick and easy payday.

Indeed, sir.

As for why now, I can't really say. I will say that, seeing as Bill Cosby's advanced in age, maybe his limited time left triggered something? Perhaps it was his resurgent success, his Netflix special and new sitcom deal with NBC, that sparked a response, but then again that could go to your argument of them simply crying wolf.

I'll add that of the accusations put forth, at least 14 of them were made almost a decade ago; a protege of Bill Cosby accused him in 2005, and 13 other women stepped forward. That lawsuit was settled out of court, as for the 13 other women, I don't know what happened to them. This is the closest I've ever followed news like this.

Comment

• It started back up because on a Cosby website someone posted memes about rape. The media latched onto it and made a story out of it. The attention from that has snowballed from there.

Comment

• My wife and I were planning to see him live early next year, but he canceled his tour dates.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
                  It started back up because on a Cosby website someone posted memes about rape. The media latched onto it and made a story out of it. The attention from that has snowballed from there.

Now that I think about it, wasn't it a comedian who made a joke about Bill Cosby being a rapist that brought attention to it?

Comment

• I laughed more than I should have at this.

Originally posted by Avatar Aang
                    When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Comment

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Savile

"In January 2013, a joint report by the NSPCC and Metropolitan Police, "Giving Victims a Voice", stated that 450 people had made complaints against Savile, with the period of alleged abuse stretching from 1955 to 2009 and the ages of the complainants at the time of the assaults ranging from eight to forty-seven.[17][18] The suspected victims included 28 children aged under 10, including 10 boys aged as young as eight. A further 63 were girls aged between 13 and 16 and nearly three-quarters of his victims were under 18. Some 214 criminal offences were recorded, with 34 rapes having been reported across 28 police forces.[19]"

You want proof that Bill Cosby may, in fact, be a horrific monster that preys on innocent souls?

There's your proof.
                      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post

I sympathize with the thought and, like Mr. Ed, I want him to be innocent, but the fact is that rape and sexual abuse still very much have a stigma attached to them. People are often (sadly) embarrassed or ashamed and it's very, very common for victims to wait or never report the attack. I've personally known victims who didn't report it until the person was exposed by someone else or who never told it publicly. I tend to believe that there is much more unreported sex crime out there than there are fake claims.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Savile

"In January 2013, a joint report by the NSPCC and Metropolitan Police, "Giving Victims a Voice", stated that 450 people had made complaints against Savile, with the period of alleged abuse stretching from 1955 to 2009 and the ages of the complainants at the time of the assaults ranging from eight to forty-seven.[17][18] The suspected victims included 28 children aged under 10, including 10 boys aged as young as eight. A further 63 were girls aged between 13 and 16 and nearly three-quarters of his victims were under 18. Some 214 criminal offences were recorded, with 34 rapes having been reported across 28 police forces.[19]"

You want proof that Bill Cosby may, in fact, be a horrific monster that preys on innocent souls?

There's your proof.
                          While I get the point you are making, I feel compelled to point out that while this does prove, in the abstract (and of course in the specific case referenced), that it is very much possible for a such public figure to have surprising revelations of rampant sexual abuse, it proves nothing at all about Bill Cosby in particular, not even the possibility of his doing something similar.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by kazzar View Post

That made me laugh really hard...

Originally posted by Hypo View Post

...and this made me really sad.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X