The GLCMB Dungeons and Dragons/Tabletop RPG Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GLCMB Dungeons and Dragons/Tabletop RPG Thread

Due to the awesomeness that is technology, the internet, and apps that utilize the power of the internet, you no longer need to physically sit across from someone or multiple people to play a tabletop RPG. All you need is a couple of apps, Google Hangout, some rulebooks, and you're good to go.

First, for those who are interested in doing some D&D with fellow board members, here is a basic summarization about what D&D and tabletop RPGs are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabletop_role-playing_game

A tabletop role-playing game, pen-and-paper role-playing game, or table-talk role-playing game is a form of role-playing game (RPG) in which the participants describe their characters' actions through speech. Participants determine the actions of their characters based on their characterization,[1] and the actions succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines. Within the rules, players have the freedom to improvise; their choices shape the direction and outcome of the game.[2]

Unlike other types of role-playing game, tabletop RPGs are often conducted like radio drama: only the spoken component of a role is acted. This acting is not always literal, and players do not always speak exclusively in-character. Instead, players act out their role by deciding and describing what actions their characters will take within the rules of the game.[3] In most games, a specially designated player called the game master (GM) creates a setting in which each player plays the role of a single character. The GM describes the game world and its inhabitants; the other players describe the intended actions of their characters, and the GM describes the outcomes. Some outcomes are determined by the game system, and some are chosen by the GM.[2]

The terms pen-and-paper and tabletop are generally only used to distinguish this format of RPG from other formats, since neither pen and paper nor a table are strictly necessary.
    A more simple way I've always explained it to people who don't know much about the format is think of a RPG game where anything and everything is possible to attempt, only you have to roll to see if you can do it. The only limits are your imagination and the roll of the dice. You can attempt to jump off a cliff and fly, where in a video game RPG the cliff might be blocked off or inaccessible, you can freely jump if you want. But you'll have to roll the dice to see if you can fly, and unless you have a spell or item which allows you to fly you're most likely going to fall to your death.

----------------

Character Creators

D&D Character Creator - http://www.pathguy.com/ddnext.htm

Pathfinder Character Creator - http://www.pathguy.com/PathfinderCore.htm

----------------

Rulebooks, Handbooks, and Other Important Literature

D&D Players Handbook (4th Edition)

D&D Players Handbook 2 (4th Edition)

D&D Players Handbook 3 (4th Edition)

D&D Quickstart Rules

Dungeon Master's Guide 4th Edition

To Be Continued - I'm going to keep this first post continually updated as we go along. I just wanted to get it started and share with some people who aren't familiar with D&D and tabletop RPGs, what it is all about.
    JohnnyV
    Pictionary Master
    Last edited by JohnnyV; 07-25-2014, 02:20 PM.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

I'm in, when do we start making our characters?

Comment

I might not be able to devote time and I might probably be a bit rusty on skills but I can read the rules and guides up eventually. Note I have a funeral to go to at some point within the next two weeks so that'll take up time but other that that I'd like to give it a go!

Please don't be surprised if I drop out or play completely wrong, but I'd certainly like to give it a go!
      Originally posted by IonFan
      (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
      Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
      If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
      Originally posted by Quaker
      I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadpool View Post
        I might not be able to devote time and I might probably be a bit rusty on skills but I can read the rules and guides up eventually. Note I have a funeral to go to at some point within the next two weeks so that'll take up time but other that that I'd like to give it a go!

Please don't be surprised if I drop out or play completely wrong, but I'd certainly like to give it a go!
        It's all good, not in a rush to get it started. The great thing about tabletop RPGs is that you can typically drop people in and out with the simple telling of a story

Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
        I'm in, when do we start making our characters?
        Can start working on characters whenever. Here are some good D&D and Pathfinder character creators.

D&D Character Creator - http://www.pathguy.com/ddnext.htm

Pathfinder Character Creator - http://www.pathguy.com/PathfinderCore.htm

Note that Pathfinder is a D&D like game with its own ruleset, a lot of more old school D&D'ers use it because it's more open ended than the more current official D&D rules. I'll add these to the first post.
        JohnnyV
        Pictionary Master
        Last edited by JohnnyV; 07-24-2014, 05:52 PM.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
          It's all good, not in a rush to get it started. The great thing about tabletop RPGs is that you can typically drop people in and out with the simple telling of a story

Ah, thanks Johnny! I love the idea of making my own character!

I would have liked to have gotten into Warhammer 40K before but I didn't know anyone who played and I had a few random figures only.

Oh I just thought, if you guys like I could make some micros o your characters.
          Originally posted by IonFan
          (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
          Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
          If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
          Originally posted by Quaker
          I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

Working...
          X