More One-Shot Comics: Yay or Nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More One-Shot Comics: Yay or Nay?

A one-shot is a standalone story created as a single issue found in comic books as hopefully a lot of you will know. Old 90s cartoons also regularly had "one-shot episodes" as I recall. Sometimes both comics and shows went on into two or three parts and even further if it was a long story arc back in the olden days, but now one-shots seems to have pretty much disappeared. But my question is this, if you were given the chance, would you have more on-shots in comics or not?

Comics such as Green lantern currently seem to suffer from these long story arcs all the time and it's dragging the franchise down. I for example get really fed up with long story arcs both in comics and TV shows such as Doctor Who. In fact these dull storylines are one of the reasons I've cut back on comics a lot. Long story arcs are easier to write for companies because it takes less effort and keeps readers "hooked" to find out what happens next month and can be stretched for years at a time. I find these long arcs really boring and they're usually about all of existence being in danger from a giant threat or whatever. I much prefer the classic one-shot style of storytelling, for example back in the golden and silver ages most issues were one shots and had one story in an issue which would usually resolve itself in one or two issues and next month there'd be a new story and new villain. I feel this is superior because it adds more variation to a title, gives out different villains on a regular basis and it's just what I grew up with in the way of superhero cartoons.

So I say yay to more one-shot comics. Have the odd story arc but have it be more of an occasion and make it special, but most of the time in most titles I'd rather have one-shots. I know this is precisely what the companies don't want and is why they don't do them but with one-shots, it's easier not to commit yourself to a title and you can stop buying it more easily but you can just as easily pick a new title up (maybe from the same company) and not get lost because of long story arcs, which is a reason why I haven't picked up new titles more regularly. So I think it's beneficial for both companies and readers to do more one-shots.

What are your thoughts?
    Originally posted by IonFan
    (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
    Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
    If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
    Originally posted by Quaker
    I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

I completely agree. Some of the best comics I've ever read were either one-shots or done-in-one regular issues.
    The last fan of 1990s comics
    Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Yeah, I'd like more single issue stories. Not all the time, but a heck of a lot more than we are getting them now, anyway. Though I'd prefer they be single issue stories in the regular title rather than One-Shots (which to me signifies a special issue outside the normal title) because I'm buying enough issues of GL comics each month already.

Comment

Well, Ed is right, but I'm pretty sure DP means one-and-done stories; i.e. where GL 33 would finish its own story, 34 would be another, 35 another and so on. I would definitely like that. I've been calling for that for a while. I would like comics to be like the Silver Age where most stories were done in one but occasionally it went to 2 or 3 issues.

And I agree, that's how I like TV, which is probably why I don't watch it anymore. I still cling to Doctor Who, but I much prefer the old stories that did not have season-long arcs.

Comment

Yeah guys, that's what I meant.

And I'm completely with Cop, he pretty much sums up my views on the matter. Do it like in the silver age but with modern stories (although I'd be willing to take a step back to the bronze age if it meant more one-shots as opposed to boring drawn out arcs).

Maybe I should have done a poll for this too, it would have been interesting to see the non commenting members views.
          Originally posted by IonFan
          (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
          Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
          If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
          Originally posted by Quaker
          I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

I'm all for more well written comics, whether they be one-shots, minis, ongoings, weeklies, or tele-comics beamed directly into my brain by the Over-Monitor.

Comment

Working...
            X