Wonder Woman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^ That's on a scale of 5, right?

I'll most likely see this film again in the theater.
    You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• I am going to see this today at 330. I don't normally waste my time with girl super heroes so this better be good damnit!

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
        I am going to see this today at 330. I don't normally waste my time with girl super heroes so this better be good damnit!
        It's such torture to watch a beautiful woman for two hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
          I am going to see this today at 330. I don't normally waste my time with girl super heroes so this better be good damnit!
          Enough of the sexist bullshit Dave!

Comment

• I have to assume it is somewhat of a put on. I mean, he can't possibly talk about women this way to his wife, right? At least not if it is meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
              I have to assume it is somewhat of a put on. I mean, he can't possibly talk about women this way to his wife, right? At least not if it is meant to be taken seriously.
              She dresses Dave up like a French maid and makes him do the housework.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                I have to assume it is somewhat of a put on. I mean, he can't possibly talk about women this way to his wife, right? At least not if it is meant to be taken seriously.
                I'm sure it is too, I meant to put David to make my facetiousness more obvious but I guess it got autocorrected

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                  ^ That's on a scale of 5, right?

I'll most likely see this film again in the theater.
                  1) yep, 5* out of 5*

2) oh yeah i'll be seeing this again (h@ll i might get the DvD)

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

• Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
                    Enough of the sexist bullshit Dave!
                    What happened? I thought Wonder Woman was supposed to be a secretary, and making the JSA coffee and cookies! Who decided to let these broads out of the kitchen?!?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                      She dresses Dave up like a French maid and makes him do the housework.
                      I DON'T do windows! The maid outfit just makes me feel pretty.

Comment

• Seriously, WW was f'ing amazing. One of the best superhero films I have ever seen. Definitely going in my top 10 after I ponder it for a bit.

Comment

• Comment

• This turned out much better than I was expecting after seeing Gadot in BvS. It was a long way from perfect, but I'm glad it wasn't a total disaster.

My review--SPOILER WARNING:

It's heartwarming to see Wonder Woman, and the DCEU by extension, getting some positive press. Some of the reaction is overblown because the film logically has some serious shortcomings, but Wonder Woman is such an important piece of comic book history that I don't care if she's evading a little criticism. The film wasn't great, but it was good enough to be successful. WB needed to have a hit like this to sustain confidence in the DCEU.

From start to finish, we were treated to some sharp visuals. Themyscira was gorgeous, and the Amazon training sequences were expertly done. The film could have spent some more time here and explored the Amazons way of life a little more. The 2009 animated Wonder Woman film did this perfectly, and this film could have used that inspiration. However, what it did do well was contrast the solidarity of the Amazonian culture with the utter chaos of World War I. When Diana did enter that fray, the CGI looked good for the most part. The Lasso of Truth was masterful.The movie also used her supporting cast effectively. They didn't just stand around in awe of the super hero, they actually kept moving forward as characters.

If there is a double-edged sword to this movie, it's Steve Trevor. The character honored the source material and Steve's death at the end was extremely emotional. The problem was just as I feared: Steve upstaged Diana. Gadot is a serviceable actress who is improving, but Pine is a veteran with honed acting skills. At times, it felt like his movie, which I'm sure wasn't the intent. Nonetheless, some of the dialogue between he and Diana was priceless.

The costuming was top notch. It added so much style to the deary time period and it lent itself organically to Diana being baffled by the modus operandi of humans.The scene where Diana was dressed in conservative civilian clothes but still tried to walk the streets of the London with her sword and shield was my favorite moment of the film. That captured her valiant-but-naive personality in a nutshell.

Dr. Maru was creepy and Elena Anaya played her perfectly. Ares was a mixed bag. His backstory was correctly adapted, but Thewlis was a weird choice to play him. There was something satirical about his mannerisms and facial expressions, not to mention he lacked the proper immortal god look. However, I have to give credit to the CGI team for his armor and power displays.

As for where this all leaves Wonder Woman in the DCEU, her arrival is a bit bumpy from a narrative perspective. Gal finally founder her groove in the 3rd act of the film and Wonder Woman's modern perspective on heroism was addressed. The end of the WWI segment didn't quite repair the damage of the BvS line where she "walked away" from humanity. She clearly saw humanity's duality, but Trevor and his friends seemed to convince her that humanity was not beyond hope. It's a little confusing as to why she took a heroic sabbatical, but at least she's ready for action now. Bring on the JUSTICE LEAGUE!!
                            Big Blue Lantern
                            Corps Honor Guard
                            Last edited by Big Blue Lantern; 06-08-2017, 04:04 AM.
                            Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
                              This turned out much better than I was expecting after seeing Gadot in BvS. It was a long way from perfect, but I'm glad it wasn't a total disaster.

My review--SPOILER WARNING:

It's heartwarming to see Wonder Woman, and the DCEU by extension, getting some positive press. Some of the reaction is overblown because the film logically has some serious shortcomings, but Wonder Woman is such an important piece of comic book history that I don't care if she's evading a little criticism. The film wasn't great, but it was good enough to be successful. WB needed to have a hit like this to sustain confidence in the DCEU.

From start to finish, we were treated to some sharp visuals. Themyscira was gorgeous, and the Amazon training sequences were expertly done. The film could have spent some more time here and explored the Amazons way of life a little more. The 2009 animated Wonder Woman film did this perfectly, and this film could have used that inspiration. However, what it did do well was contrast the solidarity of the Amazonian culture with the utter chaos of World War I. When Diana did enter that fray, the CGI looked good for the most part. The Lasso of Truth was masterful.The movie also used her supporting cast effectively. They didn't just stand around in awe of the super hero, they actually kept moving forward as characters.

If there is a double-edged sword to this movie, it's Steve Trevor. The character honored the source material and Steve's death at the end was extremely emotional. The problem was just as I feared: Steve upstaged Diana. Gadot is a serviceable actress who is improving, but Pine is a veteran with honed acting skills. At times, it felt like his movie, which I'm sure wasn't the intent. Nonetheless, some of the dialogue between he Diana was priceless.

The costuming was top notch. It added so much style to the deary time period and it lent itself organically to Diana being baffled by the modus operandi of humans.The scene where Diana was dressed in conservative civilian clothes but still tried to walk the streets of the London with her sword and shield was my favorite moment of the film. That captured her valiant-but-naive personality in a nutshell.

Dr. Maru was creepy and Elena Anaya played her perfectly. Ares was a mixed bag. His backstory was correctly adapted, but Thewlis was a weird choice to play him. There was something satirical about his mannerisms and facial expressions, not to mention he lacked the proper immortal god look. However, I have to give credit to the CGI team for his armor and power displays.

As for where this all leaves Wonder Woman in the DCEU, her arrival is a bit bumpy from a narrative perspective. Gal finally founder her groove in the 3rd act of the film and Wonder Woman's modern perspective on heroism was addressed. The end of the WWI segment didn't quite repair the damage of the BvS line where she "walked away" from humanity. She clearly saw humanity's duality, but Trevor and his friends seemed to convince her that humanity was not beyond hope. It's a little confusing as to why she took a heroic sabbatical, but at least she's ready for action now. Bring on the JUSTICE LEAGUE!!

A pretty accurate review. WW isn't up there with Marvel's best but it does rank with Marvel's second-tier movies, and that's an important accomplishment for DC. It shows they can play with the big boys.

Chris Pine did upstage Gal Gadot, as was to be expected, but Gadot was adequate and she certainly had the look to get over with the viewers. If Pine doesn't return for the sequel, his absence will be felt.

Comment

• Of course the ironic thing is that we're all talking about how DC "finally got it right" with Wonder Women, even though it'll probably make only a fraction of the profit that BvS or Suicide Squad did!

Despite the avalanche of good press it's received, it probably won't gross a lot more than Green Lantern did. The key is that WW cost only half as much to make as GL did.

I have to blame that undisciplined spending on DC's overconfidence when Geoff was selling so many GL comics.

Comment

Working...
                                X