• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yo.

^^^
    =

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
    Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• 9-year-old charged with 5 counts of murder over Illinois house fire

Comment

• Not sure what to think of that one, as 9 years old is awfully young to be charged with murder, but I also don't think that it should just be ignored if they DID intentionally kill the family.

But I DO think the instance, mentioned later in the article, of a 10-year-old being arrested for aggravated assault after throwing a ball at another kid's face during a dodgeball game is more than a little ridiculous.

Comment

• ^Yeah, more details would be needed to know how responsible he was.

Comment

• I agree that this is outrageous. Whether prosecutors claim you're old enough or not to be responsible for your actions depends entirely on which designation will result in the harshest punishment for the person who's being charged.
            Trey Strain
            Guardian of the Universe
            Last edited by Trey Strain; 10-09-2019, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• This Ben Field was a psychopath from hell. This is just nasty, nasty stuff.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...herts-48990549

Comment

• Now this is some bullshit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/po...s8t?li=BBnb7Kz

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                  Man, wtf...

Comment

• Wow. The guy stole a shirt and a couple of belts, and police thought that was an appropriate level of force to use to apprehend him? Destroying the house of people unrelated to the crime because he happened to hole up there when fleeing?

Comment

• That story is horrifying. Not that the cops did it, but that the courts backed up that the city isn't responsible to pay for the damages.

Comment

• ^It does seem like a sick joke, like it would be the response of the gun-nut guy from Police Academy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                          That story is horrifying. Not that the cops did it, but that the courts backed up that the city isn't responsible to pay for the damages.
                          I think it is pretty horrifying that the cops did it, too. I mean, this is essentially a shoplifter that probably took less than $50 of merchandise. You don't just let the guy go, sure, but deploying that kind of armament and deliberately doing that kind of property damage (this wasn't incidental stuff, they KNEW they were trashing the property)...I'd expect that kind of response only if the guy was a violent offender who they thought was posing imminent danger to the community. This is like something Sledge Hammer would do (don't know who else remembers that show).

Comment

• The attitude of cops is, "Let's go ahead and do this, and we'll see whether the courts will back us up." In this case, incredibly enough, they did.

Comment

• I dont think what he stole mattered. What mattered was that he was armed and creating a standoff. He could have killed that kid or anyone else. The cops didnt know if he was planning on going out in a blaze of glory, death by cop, taking others with him or what. I can't really say I blame them even if the home was obviously overkill. But the city should have stepped up and paid for the damages. The insurance reportedly paid for it so maybe the logic is that it should have been the insurance company suing the city to be reimbursed, and they clearly weren't. Which I guess gives me my answer as to why the city only agreed to pay the insurance deductable.

Comment

• He was alone in the house when the police arrived. The kid left before they got there. One guy with a handgun (which they would have known from the kid's eyewitness report). I dunno, it sure SEEMS like the police overdid it by a wide margin. Insurance only paid for the structural damage.

But yeah, regardless of whether the response was overkill, they should have been reimbursed by the city. Heck, let the city add damages incurred in apprehending a fugitive to the charges against them, somehow.

Might make police negotiations more effective, "We can do this the easy way, or the hard way, but if we do it the hard way, in addition to going to jail, you'll be paying for the damages to this property, probably for the rest of your life. Do you want to do that, all for the sake of a shirt and a couple belts?"

Comment

Working...
                                X