No announcement yet.

The Hollywood thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's surprising to me that Yellow Sky isn't better known. Gregory Peck was a big star, and that alone should have gotten it more attention than it's received.

In its tone it reminds me a little of Red River. It's similarly hard-assed, with quite a bit of behavior that's barely civilized. You can tell that the writers, Lamar Trotti and W.R. Burnett, had been exposed to real-life criminals. They knew how those guys talked and acted.

Burnett, who wrote the story, was a highly regarded writer of noir fiction. Trotti died before television really got rolling, but it's a shame that the medium didn't use Burnett more.
    The pandemic should have ended in the United States in March. You know why it didn't, don't you? Think about that every time you put on a mask.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
      ...In its tone it reminds me a little of Red River. It's similarly hard-assed, with quite a bit of behavior that's barely civilized. You can tell that the writers, Lamar Trotti and W.R. Burnett, had been exposed to real-life criminals. They knew how those guys talked and acted...
      The bit where Peck attacks Baxter and it seems like he might rape her must have been real edgy in '48 especially with that being a protagonist.

Comment

Many of the criminals in modern-day shows, like Criminal Minds, aren't realistic. They're caricatures made up out of thin air by people who grew up in gated communities and attended private schools, and have never been around the real deal.
        The pandemic should have ended in the United States in March. You know why it didn't, don't you? Think about that every time you put on a mask.

Comment

But Trotti did so something in the screenplay for Yellow Sky that was pretty cheesy. The scene where the gang goes into the saloon and ogles the painting of a woman behind the bar was lifted from the screenplay of The Ox-Bow Incident, which Trotti had written five years earlier.

Come to think of it though, since William Wellman directed both movies, it's possible that he inserted that scene into Yellow Sky.

BTW, Harry Morgan appeared in both movies.

And I'm posting a link to The Ox-Bow Incident in the Videos forum.
          Trey Strain
          Guardian of the Universe
          Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-09-2019, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Katherine Schwarzenegger might be a nice woman. And she looks fine. But if I were going out with her, every time I looked at her I'd see Arnold, get queasy in the stomach and think, "No, no, no!"
            Trey Strain
            Guardian of the Universe
            Last edited by Trey Strain; 01-15-2019, 02:51 AM.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the Cos, but why are they putting someone who's that old and famous in with the general population? It sounds like they're trying to get him attacked.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebri...TD0?li=BBnb7Kz

Comment

This will tell you everything you need to know about Hollywood.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/fox...al_taboolafeed

Comment

He's trying to keep his club exclusive by erecting a barrier to entry. But sooner or later, technology usually finds a way to knock those barriers down.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...ix-from-oscars

Comment

^I don't know that I'd say I'm on Spielberg's side, but I get it and I don't think it's particularly about making a buck for him (he doesn't really have to worry about that) so much as protecting an art form in the way he believes it's meant to be. On his side is the fact that direct-to-video and TV broadcast were never considered legitimate media for AMPAS (as far as I know). If they are excluded, why wouldn't streaming be?

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      ^I don't know that I'd say I'm on Spielberg's side, but I get it and I don't think it's particularly about making a buck for him (he doesn't really have to worry about that) so much as protecting an art form in the way he believes it's meant to be. On his side is the fact that direct-to-video and TV broadcast were never considered legitimate media for AMPAS (as far as I know). If they are excluded, why wouldn't streaming be?
                      If he had gotten ahead of the curve on streaming, I don't think he would be saying this. And I would never say that a rich person isn't motivated by the lure of getting more money. Warren Buffett is rich beyond imagining at 88, but he still works every minute trying to get more. In this capitalist world that's seen as a great virtue, but in a non-capitalist would it would be seen as a mental illness.

But I think mainly Spielberg doesn't want any competition for winning Oscars. Television and direct to video have never been of the quality to win Oscars, but streaming is.

Comment

Unbelievable.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...last-two-years

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                          I'm not a fan of the Cos, but why are they putting someone who's that old and famous in with the general population? It sounds like they're trying to get him attacked.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebri...TD0?li=BBnb7Kz
                          Those dudes probably idolize Cos. But that shows you some people's mentality.

Comment

In the old days, just being a big donor through perfectly legal channels would get your kid admitted to whatever school you wanted. They'd make sure he graduated too. That's how Dubya and Ted Kennedy got degrees from Harvard. It seems the bar has been raised.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...g-plot-n982136
                            Trey Strain
                            Guardian of the Universe
                            Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-12-2019, 04:18 PM.

Comment

This is what I was talking about. It's been going on since at least the 1930s, when Joseph P. Kennedy's oldest children graduated from high school, and probably much longer than that.

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...312-story.html

Comment

Check out this list.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/12/a-sl...ting-scam.html

Comment

Working...
                                X