Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a comic shop make it without selling Marvel Comics/Products?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a comic shop make it without selling Marvel Comics/Products?

Can a comic book shop make it without selling anything by Marvel? A friend of my mine is planning on opening a comic shop as a side business, but he has a serious disdain for Marvel (along with severe hatred of Joey Q). So he has no intention of carrying a single Marvel product & strictly selling DC Comics & Independents (Dynamite, IDW, Image, etc.). I'm curious if anyone else thinks that you need to sell the big two in order to be profitable in the LCS game?
    Yes
    23.53%
    No
    41.18%
    Maybe
    35.29%

Originally posted by Hobby One Kenobi View Post
    Can a comic book shop make it without selling anything by Marvel? A friend of my mine is planning on opening a comic shop as a side business, but he has a serious disdain for Marvel (along with severe hatred of Joey Q). So he has no intention of carrying a single Marvel product & strictly selling DC Comics & Independents (Dynamite, IDW, Image, etc.). I'm curious if anyone else thinks that you need to sell the big two in order to be profitable in the LCS game?
    I'd shop there

Comment

I don't think I have ever heard of it being done, so I can only say maybe.
      Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

I have not heard of it either - so maybe but seriously as much as I don't like Marvel he really is only taking money out of his own pocket
        My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

The real problem is that Marvel gets A LOT more main stream coverage. Remember last year, Spiderman unmasking and Captain America being killed were mentioned on Yahoo and most news networks. Not to mention that Marvel kicks out a few movies every year, which create some buzz. Now if he can get some of the more obscure pieces from DC and Image (Top Cow). You know some of those ONLY found on Ebay style items. OR if he lives in an area with some artists (who feel the same way towards Marvel), he can make a REALLY good go at it.
          http://www.facebook.com/gljosh
          http://gljoshpresents.blip.tv/
          Originally posted by BatmanofSector2814
          I have yet to see Avatar, mainly because it is the plot of Pocahontas wrapped in a "Halo vs World of Warcraft" flavored, CGI heavy shell...and I've already seen Pocahontas and played all 5 Halos...so....

Comment

I'd say no, because there are probably people who hate DC as people here hate Marvel. I collect several titles, both DC and Marvel. I do plan, however, to drop a couple of Marvel titles. I hate the direction they are going and I'm sick of the Civil war crap, and killing Cap? Dickheads.

Also, to be honest, I didn't like 52 and refused to collect the following big run. I hate all the DC crossovers, because at my LCS I subscribe to titles and they are put in an assigned box. So when I get home and read them the story goes to titles I don't buy. That's why I stopped collecting Batman years ago, it got up to 5 or 6 titles and they crossed into all of them. Marvel does too, but it seems it affects me more in DC.

So I would say there are pros and cons on both sides.
            zebra3
            Guy's Drinking Buddy
            Last edited by zebra3; 01-06-2008, 07:14 PM.

Comment

No way, Jose!

I can only say "No way, Jose!" to that question! Take me, for instance. I no longer read any of the "mainstream" Marvel comics, now that they have a new creative team working on The Ultimates (and turning Marvel's best book into one of their worst! ) But the amazing Powers by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming is my favorite book currently (yes, even more so than Green Lantern!) and it's currently published by Icon... Marvel's creator-owned imprint!

So, no Marvel = no Powers = I take my business elsewhere. And I know MOST comic collectors would agree with me. Most collectors prefer to get all their books from one shop. If a shop doesn't carry Marvel, they'll take their business elsewhere, even if they don't currently buy any Marvel titles, because there's always the chance that Marvel or one of their imprints might come out with a book that DOES interest that collector/reader.

So, to sum up... I think your friend is a fool and he'd get no business from me!

Comment

I see there are many other smart business people around here! But seriously if this was last year Rick would begrudgingly stock Marvel, but with Marvel ruining 4 of his favorite childhood characters (Captain America, Captain Marvel, Ghost Rider, & Spiderman) he has had enough of Marvel. I've told him it is a pretty stupid idea, but he feels he can make it. Plus he has an idea of creator owned self published titles being available so long as you have the material copy righted. His plan being if you have a comic you can publish yourself he will allow you to sell it in the store for a 25% commission on each book sold. Where he plans to open the store he claims there are a lot of would be comic book writers & artists with some really cool concepts & wants to give them a forum.

Comment

As much as comic book stores are hurting these days, probably not.

Comment

I think he'd make enough business. Probably not alot. But I think there are enough DC readers to keep the place in business. But they might struggle financially.

Comment

"It's not what you like, its the consumer."

Comment

Realistically, no, unfortunately Marvel sells more than everyone on a consistent basis. D.C has been tops once in a blue moon and your independents are not consistent enough!

Your bigger profit is through selling trades and nowadays Marvel and D.C push them out regularly which in turn is great for business, especially if you still get a discount and specials!

Good Luck to your friend, i hope he does well!
                        :On worlds afar or scenes at home, wherever the cause should make me roam, always i vow to fight the good fight, to combat evil with all green lanterns might!:

Comment

Originally posted by Nived View Post

"It's not what you like, its the consumer."
                          LOL, well said. Tell your friend its a business, not a "I wanna sell what I like store"

Business in business, (if he wants to make a profit) he needs to sell what makes money.

Comment

My shop owner laughs because I'm 95% DC and 5% indys with my holds.

I had friends back in high school try to get me into Marvel and I have pick up a Marvel book or two, but like the Spider-man movies it just seemed either whine (why do I have to be the hero...) or preachy.

I like my heroes loved by the common man.

Comment

i say maybe, don't know about you guys but i buy both Marvel and DC along with others

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Working...
                              X