Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I just stumble on a major Final Crisis spoiler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I just stumble on a major Final Crisis spoiler?

Could be a big spoiler, or maybe my imagination's gotten the better of me, but I've been reading comics long enough to know a swerve when I see it...

I was flipping through my copy of this month's Previews guide, and was looking at the solicitation for Countdown #8-5. One cover is shown (that takes up the whole page, btw). It features the JLA and the JSA backing away in shock and possibly pain as a shadowy hand bursts out of the ground. The two teams appear to be reeling from some red energy coming from the hand. I noticed the gauntlet on the man's hand and thought, hmm, there are only two characters that are well known in the mainstram DC universe with a gauntlet like that, two buckles and all. Atom Smasher and...the Atom!

Guys? Don't walk out yet, I've got something to give some creedence to this theory!

It's well known that everyone is chasing Ray Palmer because the Atom is supposed to be at the center of the Great Disaster that history and readers will call the Final Crisis. What if Ray Palmer isn't the Atom everyone should be looking for? What if it's Al Pratt? Not only does he have that gauntlet, but also:

The JSA is on the cover, and Pratt was a founding member.

The hand is coming out of the ground, and Pratt died in Zero Hour, another "event" that might as well have had the word "crisis" in the title.

The guy that killed Pratt was Hank Hall, who was ALSO the Monarch at one time, a major villain in the Countdown mini series.

His arm is spewing this red energy that almost looks radioactive (or what passes for radioactive in comics anyway). Pratt torward the end of the Golden Age was given atomic powers to help him keep up with his fellow JSAers. He utilized those energies in an "atomic punch".

Plus, getting readers to THINK for a year that they should be following Ray Palmer, only to do a 180 at the last minute is exactly the kind of slight of hand storytelling device that's been a staple of comics since we were all a twinkle in our daddies eyes!

So what do you guys think? Am I on to something, or has the cheese slid off my cracker?

I like your theory, but I'm going to toss a monkey wrench into it.

In Countdown 51 Bob wasn't told to search for The Atom, he was told to search for Ray Palmer... so yeah probably Ray.

Comment

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't think there's much to your theory.

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
      It's well known that everyone is chasing Ray Palmer because the Atom is supposed to be at the center of the Great Disaster that history and readers will call the Final Crisis. What if Ray Palmer isn't the Atom everyone should be looking for? What if it's Al Pratt?
      No, they are not looking for "the Atom". They are specifically looking for "Ray Palmer". Countdown #51 had the prophecy that only "Ray Palmer" (not "the Atom") can stop the Great Disaster. Since then, they have found our Ray Palmer on Earth 51, where he has replaced that Ray Palmer. He says that he's not the one they were looking for. The Ray Palmer that is supposed to stop the Great Disaster is Ray Palmer from Earth 51. Not Al Pratt.

Pratt died in Zero Hour, another "event" that might as well have had the word "crisis" in the title.
      In fact, the full title was "Zero Hour: Crisis in Time".

The guy that killed Pratt was Hank Hall, who was ALSO the Monarch at one time, a major villain in the Countdown mini series.
      Different Monarch, though. The Monarch in Countdown is some iteration of Captain Atom. Probably not "our" Captain Atom, though, since his skin is colored flesh, not metallic silver.

Plus, getting readers to THINK for a year that they should be following Ray Palmer, only to do a 180 at the last minute is exactly the kind of slight of hand storytelling device that's been a staple of comics since we were all a twinkle in our daddies eyes!
      Like I said, they did such a 180. Everybody thought it was New Earth Ray Palmer they needed, but it turned out to be Earth-51 Ray Palmer.

Comment

Your probably wrong but I like your theory

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
          Different Monarch, though. The Monarch in Countdown is some iteration of Captain Atom. Probably not "our" Captain Atom, though, since his skin is colored flesh, not metallic silver.
          No, it is our Captain Atom. He never had Silver skin, the silver was a containment suit that was destored and then he took the Monarch armor to become his new containment (Cap Atom was suppose to be the Org. Monarch anyway, they changed it at the last minute because everyone was onto it).

And we have had a steady story for Cap Atom - he goes to the WSU then shows back up in the DCU in Ion in the Bleed which is a WSU thing so it is OUR Cap Atom.
          My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

And according to Arena #4 the ONLY Capt. Atom because he killed and absorbed all the Capt. Atoms in the multiverse.

Comment

holy crap, do you think it could be Extant.

Comment

It made logical sense, but I think there's no dice here . I would love to see Al Pratt comeback, with Atom Smasher being the fuckrag that he is

Comment

Originally posted by GLJIMT View Post
                  No, it is our Captain Atom. He never had Silver skin, the silver was a containment suit that was destored and then he took the Monarch armor to become his new containment (Cap Atom was suppose to be the Org. Monarch anyway, they changed it at the last minute because everyone was onto it).

And we have had a steady story for Cap Atom - he goes to the WSU then shows back up in the DCU in Ion in the Bleed which is a WSU thing so it is OUR Cap Atom.
                  You're quite correct, if you are curious to know more, check out the "Battle for Bludhaven" mini-series when he returns from the WSU and is placed in the Monarch containment suit.

Another interesting point:
                  When Captain Atom goes to the WSU, his costume is altered to the Kingdom Come version!
                  :On worlds afar or scenes at home, wherever the cause should make me roam, always i vow to fight the good fight, to combat evil with all green lanterns might!:

Comment

I think ray palmer will be able to shink and get inside monarch/ cap atom and cause and nuetralize him

Comment

Oh well, it was a theory. Maybe that's Pratt's arm on the cover, but that story won't extend to FC? Who knows. If not Pratt's, who is it?

I do know about the two Monarchs, and the good Captain's role, I just worded the sentence poorly.

Did Cap/Monarch kill Breach too? He was supposedly meant to be the original E8 Captain Atom. I used to love the character, but DC kind of sucked the gas out of his tank years ago. I didn't read the Wildstorm mini series.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
                        Did Cap/Monarch kill Breach too? He was supposedly meant to be the original E8 Captain Atom.
                        He did kill him. And they sort of touch on that, too, in a speech Monarch gives before he does.

Comment

I always thought it was pretty lame when DC went with Hank Hall at the last second because the fans figured out the end of Armageddon 2001. It was kind of obvious at the time, and they should have just let it play out. What kind of surprise was...Hawk? One half of a team nobody really cared about? Nathanial Adam just made more sense. His book wrapped up at the right time and everything was in place. To keep the notion going that Hall was their first choice all along, DC even pitted Atom against Hall in a series of sequel mini series that pretty much sucked. The only highlight was the end of Inferno which brought back the JSA.

Anybody here a fan of the Bates/Broderick series?

Comment

true but atleast they did Extant to wrap up the Hank Hall thing and now we're back on track.

Comment

I think it's supposed to be Monarch as he widens his war throughout the cosmos. His stupid stupid war which is wiping out Elseworld cosmologies just for the heck of it. *disgruntled geek*

Comment

Working...
                              X