X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KILLER HERE

G'day,

As a long time GL fan I thought I'd better sign up.

Bit about my GL history:

I became fascinated with GL when the Super Powers figures came out. There was something about that green dude that piqued my interest. The first issue I got as a kid was #193. It was a confusing issue for someone new to the mythology. Why was John Stewart GL and not Hal? What the Hell's going on with that front cover? Anyway, I hung in there. Unfortunately the series ended 2 years later and GL was cast into the wilderness. So I spent comic cash on buying Hal's back-issues. Going back to #123.

Action Comics Weekly sucked arse and the killing of Katma Tui really disturbed me and pissed me off. Something was starting to feel very wrong with the direction of GL. I was wrapt when Hal got his own book back. But those grey locks weren't doing it for me. Hal was getting tired and then came the final atrocity: Emerald Twilight.

I kept reading comics for about another 2 years but with no Hal and some artist punk calling himself GL, it didn't feel the same. So I quit comics.

Then sometime in 2004 I was bumming around a city comic shop buying action figures and I got into a convo about GL with the dude behind the counter:

"You know Hal's gonna be GL again don't ya?"

"WTF?" says me

"yep" he says.

"Nice" I state.

And the rest is history.

Pretty happy now with the direction GL is taking. Love the new Hal and I think DC is doing the right thing by getting GL back to basics. Easily the best comic going around although I must admit since re-entering the comic scene I've made a conscious decision not to buy too many titles. It's just not worth it.

Anyway, that's my GL story. Probably a familiar one to many.

cheers
    A.A.F.A.D.

"Damn that Sorcerer! 20 gold pieces and I'm wankered on Rohypnol!"

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!
    Hope you enjoy your stay and have many a great conversation along the way.
    Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

Cheers, I appreciate that. I've posted a bit on the DC boards but there's too much bitch fighting. I need to hang with proper GLers
      A.A.F.A.D.

Comment

Well then you have certainly come to the RIGHT place!

Comment

Cheers back at you, Killer. When Parrylakks here got me back into GL (I'd collected everything from about 1994-2000, then lost it all a year later) I swore I'd only stick to GL in my collecting habits... and I have.

But I've been going in reverse, collecting every GL appearance into the 60s and spending a fortune on what is very nearly a complete collection now.

Damn Parrylakks.

Comment

Yeah yeah yeah... you know you love it.

Comment

Welcome to the Corps Killer... My story is similar to Andrews currently collecting EVERY GL apperance (I like Kyle the best, but I'll let you slide on the artist punk kid thing )
              My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys. Look I've kinda warmed to Kyle over the years but certainly when he first arrived on the scene I resented him. To me he was a usurper.

I don't think the Ion thing is working. Probably due to Marz's shocking writing of the Ion series. I think Kyle's now earnt his place but they gotta treat him with some respect. I spose he is GL to a generation that got into comics after I quit. And is it just me or is Ivan Ries the ONLY person who seems capable of drawing Ion's costume correctly???

Anyway, I'll be sure to drop in here regularly. Things are getting juicy as far as GL is concerned and its a great time to be a fan.
                A.A.F.A.D.

Comment

That's wild Killer, that was the very first issue of GL I had bought for the 7-11! Didn't even realize it had GUY in it until years later duh!

Comment

Working...
                  X