Warriors Bar & Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warriors Bar & Grill

I thought it was impossible for DC to screw up Guy again. But once again, they've listened to a few screaming boneheads on the Internet and brought back Warriors Bar.

Sure, I know how cute it'll be for an issue or two. We'll get to see the alien bar scene from Star Wars ripped off several times.

But how long before a brawl breaks out, and the place gets wrecked?

"HAR, HAR!" the boneheads will laugh. "That was cool!"

So then what? Well, I guess we'll see some more alien bar scenes. And then the place just get wrecked again, in another brawl.

See, a bar has very limited dramatic potential. Just as Guy having to train alien rookie GLs had very limited dramatic potential. But some people who shout a lot on the Internet have very limited foresight about such things. although they seem to be very good at getting their way.

DC has been listening to the wrong people about Guy. First they listened to the boneheads who shouted that a GLC title should be about Guy training rookies, and now they've listened to the boneheads who shouted that Guy should become a barkeep again.

Warriors Bar & Grill will go nowhere except to the bargain bins. You read it here first.

Wait... are you saying Warriors Bar & Grill is getting its own comic?

As far as we know I'm pretty sure it's just supposed to feature, maybe, in an issue of GLC here and there, and debuts in two issues.

Comment

Actually a Bar has a tremendous amount of dramatic potential, I and others on the board have said over and over that some of our fav scenes during Kyle's run were in Warriors.

Not Brawls but the "Guy Talk" stuff that goes on in bars.
      My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

Anyone remember a little show called "Cheers" ? Now just replace Sam with Guy, Woody with Bzzd, Frasier with John, etc etc. I'd love to see this.
        sigpic
        Winner: Reality TV draft 2014

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Comment

Yeah I suppose I'm a bonehead.

I liked the fantastic character developed around the monthly drinking night Guy, Kyle, Alan, and John had set up at Warriors. Or the pure fanservice we used to get int he Warrior title of all the forgotten fourth tier characters that would hang out and interact at warriors. Birds of Prey wouldn't have Lady Blackhawk if it wasn't for Warriors.

Comment

I just assumed the bar on Oa was going to be a minor thing in the book; just one more locale for the characters to be featured in. I doubt it'll be the center of anything substantial in the GLC

Comment

I was hoping it would be another one on Earth but if it's on Oa or some local asteroid that's cool. I don't think it's a bad idea, as I really enjoyed the interaction between heroes at the bar on Earth. But what's the point if it's in space? Does Guy need space currency? If the New Corps from Kyle's rookie days ever return and join the GLC I'd dig seeing Garl Rathbone show up at the bar with his purple four armed self!

~KL~

Comment

Nobody wants HAL to be a bartender. Nobody wants ALAN to be one. Nobody wants JOHN to be one. Nobody wants even KYLE to be one

That would DEMEAN those characters.

But Guy? "HAW, HAW! Make him a bartender!"

Comment

Guy's story right now is the most confusing with all the brain damage and Crisis' he's been through. He needs more fleshing out since everybody else is being retconned into coolness. He lived in Michigan and went to college, but then what? Is he still an old football coach, an attorney, something else? He should have a Year One of his own as back-up tales in GLC for a bit.

I think his current role in GLC will be more entertaining with a bar scene and a beer once in awhile. I think Kyle owed Hal and the other Earth GL's a couple rounds for saving his ass anyway?

~KL~

Comment

Originally posted by Spy Smasher View Post
                    Nobody wants HAL to be a bartender. Nobody wants ALAN to be one. Nobody wants JOHN to be one. Nobody wants even KYLE to be one

That would DEMEAN those characters.

But Guy? "HAW, HAW! Make him a bartender!"
                    Demean? No, but it would be odd for those others, as they all have established career paths (test pilot, architect, artist). What's Guy's established career? Gym teacher? Not much call for that on Oa, and that was never really a big part of the character once he became a GL. Guy has always struck me as the kind of guy that would hang out with other guys in a bar during his downtime, and being who he is, the lack of a bar on Oa shouldn't stop him. I think starting up a bar is perfectly in character for him.

And is guy actually going to TEND bar? I don't recall him doing much of that in the old Warriors place. He was just the owner/operator. And if you think Guy is out of place in a bar, you don't really know the character very well, methinks....
                    Mister Ed
                    Horse of a Different Color
                    Last edited by Mister Ed; 06-09-2008, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Beau made GUY an adventurer who happened to own a bar to tell his tales and where most heroes could take a little RnR and mellow with their peers.

Warriors has untapped potential for those fun downtime stories.
                      C'mon we all want to see a GUY/Lobo rematch. Not just the brawling, but the drinking!

Barkeep? When he chooses to be, it's HIS place afterall.

PINT O' GUINNESS ANYONE!
                      :On worlds afar or scenes at home, wherever the cause should make me roam, always i vow to fight the good fight, to combat evil with all green lanterns might!:

Comment

The problem with Guy is that people are stuck in the past with him. They're thinking either about Giffen's JLA or Beau's Warrior. They don't see what could be done with ths character, so they weigh him down with a lo f unfortunate baggage.

The Gerard Jones version of Guy is the right one. Just pick it up from there.

And Lobo is the LAST character I want to see dragging Guy back down.

Let Lobo co-star with KYLE in a story, damn it. Let's hear what Kyle's fans think about that. I guarantee you they have better sense than to call for that.

Comment

I'd love to see a scene with Kyle and Lobo, something like....

Kyle: "Hey, I had a jacket almost like that once."

Lobo: "You never filled it out like me though punk."

~KL~

Comment

The people who constantly demand that DC make all the wrong moves with Guy remind me of the people who won't stop demanding that Obama put Clinton on his ticket. An Obama-Clinton ticket seems like a great idea, except to the people who know what they're talking about.

Comment

Arisia could help out as a barkeep... she did in the past at Warrior's.

Comment

Working...
                              X