Green Lantern HBO Max series cancelled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Boy, that's sure what they're trying to ram down. And no, forced diversity where you can't go an issue without tripping over LGBTQ stuff isn't representation... it's misrepresentation. The whole globe isn't all like San Francisco, no matter how much they'd like it to be.
    To be fair the entire world isn't Caucasian, as much as some would like it to be.

Comment

Zaslav laid out a new plan for DC properties:
      Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav said that there will be a 10-year plan for DC movies, similar to Marvel and Disney’s strategy. The news comes after Batgirl was scrapped. The Flash, Black Adam, and Shazam 2 are still on the slate.

Comment

According to ScreenRant, the show is still happening:

Comment

I think diversity in fiction is great, needed, and important. That said--speaking about the canceled Batgirl film--Barbara Gordon isn't a mixed-race Dominican, and, for what it's worth, I say this as a mixed-race American. I like Barbara Gordon just fine the way she is, and when she is translated to other media, I would like her to be represented as she traditionally is in the comics--which is a white red-headed woman. That doesn't make me a bigot. It just means I like Barbara Gordon the way she is and don't need or want to see her changed.

Regarding the gay Alan Scott...again, gay characters are fine in and of themselves, but I would rather the powers that be not warp pre-existing characters with long histories of being straight.

If these companies want mixed race or gay heroes, they can make mixed race and gay heroes. If they, for some weird reason, feel they cannot do that, then that is a whole other issue they need to address ASAP. The real scenario is the companies are too lazy, broken, and creatively bankrupt to build new worthwhile heroes from the ground up that have the attributes they desire, so they resort to dumb and lazy tactics like mantle swapping, race bending, sexually bending, and so on.

This is really too bad for someone like me, who is a minority in America and who actually likes seeing heroes that reflect my background and features (which is very rare for me, in particular). I like that, but I don't want it to be handled in a dumb, lazy, or ham-fisted fashion, and I really don't like the notion of "stealing" white characters. So this whole diversity issue for me has become somewhat of a "be careful what you wish for" type of scenario. Ideally, I would like an original character like that who is at least just as cool and creative as the Superman idea is, and with HIS OWN mythology and so on. I don't...want Superman warped into something he isn't, or replaced, or sharing his mantle, or anything like that. I like him fine the way he is.
          Star-Lantern
          Weaponer of Qward
          Last edited by Star-Lantern; 08-05-2022, 10:14 AM.
          ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Putting the diversity issue aside for the moment, I still think Green Lantern is better as a series than as a movie. The backdrop in which the Corps operates is huge. Even a trilogy would only scratch the surface. Even though I've never been convinced that this show will happen, even after the castings, I want it more than any other comic book project. Time will tell, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Robinson View Post

To be fair the entire world isn't Caucasian, as much as some would like it to be.
              Not our fault we're the only part of the world that matters.

Comment

Yea its gone. Theres speculation blue beetle movie is next. James gunn confirmed peacemaker is safe so thats good . Flash is ending with season 9 on cw. Cw itself is worth zero dollars from a report i read maybe 2 months ago. This new guy David zaslab is reported saying sumerman is his focus hence dcs ten year plan. Its Also reported dc may drop comics.
                TazzMission
                Guardian of the Universe
                Last edited by TazzMission; 08-09-2022, 12:26 PM.
                .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

Originally posted by Robinson View Post

Thing is though theres good diversity and bad. Take the batgirl movie wich was tossed in the trash. People are upset batgirl is the daughter to white parens and is a poc. Imo thats bad diversity. What they Should of done was have Gordon in a interacial marriage hence batgirls bi racial heritage. I just want it to make sense and not just there for politics interacial relationships exist. People are so hung up about black vs white nobody takes the time to go oh shit everything isnt racial. Theres people dating outside there race. Lets talk stereotypes. Did you see the issue of what if miles morales was thor ?Weeeew talk about racial stereotypes . I mean its beyond bad. Graffiti on his hammer wearing air ones and how his hood is midgard . His catch phrase is its hammer time. The guy who wrote it was Latino not white.
                  TazzMission
                  Guardian of the Universe
                  Last edited by TazzMission; 08-10-2022, 01:26 PM.

Comment

If you're going to put the Corps in it, then it needs to be a television series. But if you're going to reboot it with Alan, then movies or a television series would work.

The more characters and concepts they pack into it, the greater the chance they'll screw it up. So I hope they keep the Corps out of it.

I think very few people have a problem with putting minorities into fictional presentations. But to replace existing white heterosexual characters with minorities is self-defeating. We've seen it flop enough times to know that.

And we all know why they do it. It's because nobody wants to see a gay GL who they create from scratch. But to turn an existing GL gay JUST MIGHT work. Or so the thinking goes.

In business you can market what you're pretty confident people will buy, or you can market what you want them to buy.

If you do the latter, you'll have a hard time justifying your behavior to your stockholders.
                    Trey Strain
                    Guardian of the Universe
                    Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-09-2022, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Alan Scott doesnt work as a focus of Green Lantern because A, his story costume and pretty much everything is dated. B him being gay doesnt work because fans dont like it and the people who approve of it on twitter wouldnt actually support it with their money and time. C, Alan was simply the prototype for what WOULD eventually work spectacularly with Hal Jordan and the GLC mythos and concept.
                      As much as I dig the character of Alan Scott, you and I are in the minority as he has zero mass appeal. Theres a reason he hasnt had an ongoing title since GL #38 which was in 1949.

I just think the idea of a GL show is an incredibly bad move in today's political climate. Until this garbage fad of obsessing over race, sexuality and victim hierarchy passes, I'd rather have NO Green Lantern comics, movies or tv shows. I can wait.

Comment

More than 99 percent of the people who watch a television show or go to a movie don't know jack shit about the Golden Age, the Silver Age or anything else that's on the pages of comic books. All they know is what you put on the screen, and there's no need to show them anything that's dated or to set the story 80 years in the past.

It should take place here and now.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                          Alan Scott doesnt work as a focus of Green Lantern because A, his story costume and pretty much everything is dated. B him being gay doesnt work because fans dont like it and the people who approve of it on twitter wouldnt actually support it with their money and time. C, Alan was simply the prototype for what WOULD eventually work spectacularly with Hal Jordan and the GLC mythos and concept.
                          As much as I dig the character of Alan Scott, you and I are in the minority as he has zero mass appeal. Theres a reason he hasnt had an ongoing title since GL #38 which was in 1949.

I just think the idea of a GL show is an incredibly bad move in today's political climate. Until this garbage fad of obsessing over race, sexuality and victim hierarchy passes, I'd rather have NO Green Lantern comics, movies or tv shows. I can wait.
                          Or do alan scott as a 50's style serial before the retcon similar in style to rocketeer. I still say do john stewart because hal failed in 2011 i admit i only knew of john stewart do to the jla toon and i didn't get into comics till 2009. For someone like me new coming in i didn't know where to start at. Luckily comicvine and this place told me the same answer read gl rebirth
                          TazzMission
                          Guardian of the Universe
                          Last edited by TazzMission; 08-10-2022, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                            You mean you're not excited about an Alan Scott whose personality is "I'm gay and it was hard to be gay in the 1940s"?

Same. Let's take a rain check.

Comment

Working...
                            X