X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GL HBO Max series may be dark, "like the Watchmen TV show"

See here:

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/...irst-expected/

And yeesh. Like the Watchmen TV show? That show was awful... and had nothing to do with the Watchmen. Mostly it just made everything about racism.

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
    See here:

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/...irst-expected/

And yeesh. Like the Watchmen TV show? That show was awful... and had nothing to do with the Watchmen. Mostly it just made everything about racism.
    I heard good things about the watchmen show._. Hmmm interesting to see a negative response. Ive yet to watch it so
    .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

80s and 90s me wouldn't have imagined I'd ever say this about a GL show, but I really don't care about this (which is convenient since I don't bother with HBO Max). Nothing I've heard about the approach of this has intrigued me. Honestly, the only thing that would even tempt me to subscribe to Max would be if they did a period-piece Hard Traveling Heroes.

I honestly don't have a modern sensibility for TV shows and haven't gotten into a live-action comic book show since Lois & Clark went off the air (and I didn't even watch that regularly). So, I don't think this is for me.

Comment

What a shocking surprise! Certainly nobody could have predicted that they would decide to go dark with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
          What a shocking surprise! Certainly nobody could have predicted that they would decide to go dark with this.
          Dark is subjective though. Now in terms of Dark tone are we talking dark knight dark because for PG-13 they got away with a lot. or watchmen dark where f bombs are dropped left and right or attempted rape scene?This reminds me of debating someone about the new mcu blade being PG-13. That person felt it should be r. Now a days PG-13 gets away with a lot. For example transformers has decapitation with no blood but its still a decapitation. You can do blade PG-13 with decapitation just make the blood non red. The 98 blade was r because of many reasons. Language blowjob scene in hall at the club at start of the film . Plus r dosent make a movie better
          TazzMission
          Guardian of the Universe
          Last edited by TazzMission; 12-17-2021, 01:30 PM.
          .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

I am at the point where I not only have no interest in the HBOmax Green Lantern show, but I am actually DREADING it. It's going to be awful, woke trash.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
              Yeah, at this point, I would only be shocked if the word was that the show was going to be light-hearted and fun with children who are deferential and respectful.

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
              I am at the point where I not only have no interest in the HBOmax Green Lantern show, but I am actually DREADING it. It's going to be awful, woke trash.
              So, are you going to even bother? I go back and forth with this on the new Trek shows. I still haven't seen any of them (since Enterprise) but the Trekkie completionist in me "wants to" catch up. I know I'm going to hate them, though. And now, the number of Trek shows currently running is equal to all of the completed series since TOS ended.
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 12-17-2021, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Berlanti and company are generally pretty respectful to the source material, and anyone who has read Berlanti & Guggenheim's original script for the Green Lantern movie should be more than willing to see Berlanti's take here. That said some of his showrunners have leaned towards the wokeness of modern culture (Supergirl, Batwoman, Black Lightning), but most of his shows have still been extremely solid (Titans, Arrow, The Flash, Legends, Doom Patrol, Superman & Lois), and so he has earned the benefit of the doubt, imo. Besides, it's not like DC has never been woke before; arguably it's been that way for decades -- especially in GL comics. Hard Travelling Heroes was basically just a woke journey across America. The term just wasn't used that way back then, so no one ever called it such.
                Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                  Yeah, at this point, I would only be shocked if the word was that the show was going to be light-hearted and fun with children who are deferential and respectful.

So, are you going to even bother? I go back and forth with this on the new Trek shows. I still haven't seen any of them (since Enterprise) but the Trekkie completionist in me "wants to" catch up. I know I'm going to hate them, though. And now, the number of Trek shows currently running is equal to all of the completed series since TOS ended.
                  I have both HBOMAX and Paramount+. For Trek I watched the first episode of the Lower Decks cartoon, and it wasnt as bad as I was expecting. I dont have the heart to sit through any more of Picard or STD. They just got the property all wrong in their attempt to modernize it for new audiences. They clearly arent made for me.
                  GL I would be lying if I claimed I wont at least watch the first episode, but everything they reveal about the show sounds wrong. I have no stomach to watch Alan Scott reduced to an hour long story about the plight of gay men in the 1940s. I didnt wait my whole life to see Alan Scott reduced to that for his live action debut. No Hal, no John, and you KNOW Guy is going to be treated like the jerk that sees the error of his ways. Heck, they are CREATING a half human, half alien GL for the show. As if there arent enough human GLs already? Sounds like they want their own version of Spock to play with. For that we are getting Hal, John and heck, even Kyle, buried??

Comment

Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
                    ... Besides, it's not like DC has never been woke before; arguably it's been that way for decades -- especially in GL comics. Hard Travelling Heroes was basically just a woke journey across America. The term just wasn't used that way back then, so no one ever called it such.
                    Oh, absolutely. You'd have called it "bleeding heart" and, honestly, O'Neil's stuff got laughably heavy-handed and political at times. I suppose it still entertains me because (1) the politics of it is distanced from the stuff I hear and see everywhere now; (2) although characters like John were added to give a minority and "militant" perspective, they didn't become the new focus and Hal and Ollie had a give and take between their views that would not be tolerated now; (3) they were exceptionally well written and (mostly) drawn.

Comment

Working...
                    X