Golden Age Green Lantern Vol. 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Age Green Lantern Vol. 1

I had never read this, so when I saw it in a library I checked it out.

It's surprisingly good, especially considering that it was marketed to young boys in 1940. Bill Finger was a very good writer.

Alan wasn't grossly overpowered. He had the right abilities to take on the gangsters and other villains he faced.

It occurred to me that maybe this is what the comic needs to go back to.

(If somebody has to be gay, Derby Dickles will work.)

​​​​​​https://www.amazon.com/Archive-Golde.../dp/B003IE1FEA
    Trey Strain
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-15-2022, 12:39 AM.
    The pandemic should have ended in the United States in March. You know why it didn't, don't you? Think about that every time you put on a mask.

It's a shame that DC abandoned the archives line. They only finished a couple of golden age runs in that format, Dr Fate was a done in one, and they did finish the All Star Comics run for the JSA. I still regret DC never finished The Spectre in More Fun Comics, Green Lantern or The Flash. Now the audience for it has aged out so well never see it.

Comment

And let's not even think about the Gerard Jones run on Green Lantern, which truth be told was much better than almost everything that's followed.

Of course if you rebooted Green Lantern to make Alan the star you'd have to set it in the present day and modernize it a lot. But that's incomparably more feasible than trying to fix the vast pile of garbage it's become.
      The pandemic should have ended in the United States in March. You know why it didn't, don't you? Think about that every time you put on a mask.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
        And let's not even think about the Gerard Jones run on Green Lantern, which truth be told was much better than almost everything that's followed.

Of course if you rebooted Green Lantern to make Alan the star you'd have to set it in the present day and modernize it a lot. But that's incomparably more feasible than trying to fix the vast pile of garbage it's become.
        I'm kind of surprised DC hasnt tried to reboot with a revamped Alan Scott. I dont know for sure but I dont think there are any heirs for the Nodell or Finger estates to contend with, and it's clear DC is trying to murk the waters of copyright and royalties by making16 bajillion versions of every hero persona and race, gender and sexuality swapping them. My only guess as to why DC has no interest in pushing Alan Scott is that he is among the first batch of DC characters that will enter public domain in a few years. And for that he's not worth investing the time and resources on.

Comment

You know, I think that's actually another good reason for them to reboot the franchise with Alan as the star. It would be a way for them to show that these are their characters and concepts, and that anybody else who uses them has no ideas of their own. The same goes for the JSA.

Green Lantern is a total loss, in that continuing to tinker with it is futile. Just take out the garbage and simplify it with Alan as the star.

Comment

Jim Corrigan would be great as a recurring character in the comic.

Comment

Working...
            X