Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, Emerald Dawn: how much is still there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, Emerald Dawn: how much is still there?

ok the drunk driving is out.
    we know that because Hal's first meeting with Sinestro is no longer in a Jail Cell but instead It occurs when Sinestro destroys Hal's Jet during a flight test.
    they kept Martin Jordan's Fatal Crash and Hal being there to see it.
    what about Legion? was That still part of Hal's early year in the corps?
    I'd love to see them do a new definitive year one story for Hal

Since the Abin Sur prophecy from the "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Annual #2" in the 80s has just been confirmed as being totally canon, we can take the depiction there of Abin Sur's crashing on Earth to happen exactly as it does there. That means no Legion.

Since Hal never got in trouble for drunk driving (or anything else now, for that matter), as you say that gets rid of any of his subsequent jailtime... which was pretty much the entire basis of Emerald Dawn II.

The only stuff I think that is staying is the rough sequence of events with Kilowog, Hal's training, and then the training with Sinestro, Sinestro's exile -- I'd imagine the way that goes down in Emerald Dawn II is pretty much unchanged, only difference being Hal was never in jail.

I don't see how anything else could have escaped canonically.

Comment

I really liked that mini. I mourn its passing but I have faith that Johns will write a more up to date origin story that pays proper homage to what it needs to.

A girl can hope, can't she?

Comment

I'm actually better without Emerald Dawn for a number of reasons ED was really a way for the ptb to make Hal like Maverick in Top Gun. now that Cruise has flipped his wig, they clearly want Hal to go back to being more of a Chuck Yeager/Gordo Cooper type. (although now that I think about it Guy's definitely the GL who'd say:
        "Who's the best Lantern you ever saw?........you're lookin' right at 'im!")

Comment

You know I was reading through the archives and I think I found where Legion came from. during the Firrst Green Lantern/Katma Tui story when Katma is preparing to leave the corps to be with the man she loves Hal assists her in getting rid of some giant amoeba. the thing is very much like legion after Hal cuts open the armor. (Hal also manages to talk Kat out of leaving the GLC)
          Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
            Since the Abin Sur prophecy from the "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Annual #2" in the 80s has just been confirmed as being totally canon, we can take the depiction there of Abin Sur's crashing on Earth to happen exactly as it does there. That means no Legion.

Since Hal never got in trouble for drunk driving (or anything else now, for that matter), as you say that gets rid of any of his subsequent jailtime... which was pretty much the entire basis of Emerald Dawn II.

The only stuff I think that is staying is the rough sequence of events with Kilowog, Hal's training, and then the training with Sinestro, Sinestro's exile -- I'd imagine the way that goes down in Emerald Dawn II is pretty much unchanged, only difference being Hal was never in jail.

I don't see how anything else could have escaped canonically.
            This is why retroactive continuity bothers me a lot sometimes.

Emerald Dawn is what really got me to tune into Hal as a person in the first place. Giving him a hurdle to oversome like alchoholism made him more real to me as opposed to the guy who in every fight would complain: "If this (insert random object/weapon here) wasn't yellow..."

Legion was the first baddie who actually had me wondering how the protagonist(s) would prevail. I was actually worried for Hal and the rest of the Corps. He should still be out there... somewhere...

Comment

It's a little ironic that Emerald Dawn has now been riddled with holes due to retcons but Emerald Twilight (the one that got the fanboys up in arms) has pretty much been reinforced to always be relevent through retcons...

Just an observation.

Comment

true i'm, wondering though how the retconning ED out might have changed some of Volume 3 would the new retconning now make Hal's battle with the Old Timer the first time he merged with the CPB?
                Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

Working...
                X