Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many folks quit reading Lantern comics after Twilight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

>>> He will NEVER be Hal, but I have finally accepted him as a cool character in his own right. <<<

Which is something I LIKED about Kyle.
    He was near the age of a lot of 90s comic readers at the time...I'm not that age anymore, but still remember that "uncertainty" of being in my early 20s despite a college degree and starting a career in the ups and downs of 90s-today job markets.

Wally will "never" be Barry Allen.
    Dick will "never" be Bruce Wayne.

These comparissions are futile. We had a lot of Presidents, and I think it would be conter productive to say "___ will never be George Washinton" for example.

Hal was not "the first" GL but to many people he IS because the Silver Age book took a different spin on the GL mythos (as opposed to Silver Age Superman and Batman who just kept the ball a rolling).

Also, having Alan, a guy jsut as powerful and who was a lot more experienced on "Earth 2" there was never any real competition and Hal just grew into his own character. (I kind of always like JAY better than Barry by the way).

Many original Alan fans stopped reading comics...as opposed to Hal fans who kept at it years later.

John Stewart was the "spare" that was rarely used. The 1980s short changed him...Hal was STILL in the book, getting half the screen time, and powerless. Then that $%*&ing era of Crisis pointless crossovers happened and John was seen less and less..then reduced to sharing a book with Hal and a host of other GLs including a talking squirrel...JOHN never got the chance to shine either (and Mosaic later rocked)

Sorry for the rant. But I feel that some fans thinking "liking Kyle" means "not liking Hal."

Oh...and despite liking Jay more than Barry that didnt mean I "hated" Barry either.

Comment

Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBarnes45 View Post
        >>> He will NEVER be Hal, but I have finally accepted him as a cool character in his own right. <<<

Which is something I LIKED about Kyle.
        He was near the age of a lot of 90s comic readers at the time...I'm not that age anymore, but still remember that "uncertainty" of being in my early 20s despite a college degree and starting a career in the ups and downs of 90s-today job markets.

Wally will "never" be Barry Allen.
        Dick will "never" be Bruce Wayne.

These comparissions are futile. We had a lot of Presidents, and I think it would be conter productive to say "___ will never be George Washinton" for example.

Hal was not "the first" GL but to many people he IS because the Silver Age book took a different spin on the GL mythos (as opposed to Silver Age Superman and Batman who just kept the ball a rolling).

Also, having Alan, a guy jsut as powerful and who was a lot more experienced on "Earth 2" there was never any real competition and Hal just grew into his own character. (I kind of always like JAY better than Barry by the way).

Many original Alan fans stopped reading comics...as opposed to Hal fans who kept at it years later.

John Stewart was the "spare" that was rarely used. The 1980s short changed him...Hal was STILL in the book, getting half the screen time, and powerless. Then that $%*&ing era of Crisis pointless crossovers happened and John was seen less and less..then reduced to sharing a book with Hal and a host of other GLs including a talking squirrel...JOHN never got the chance to shine either (and Mosaic later rocked)

Sorry for the rant. But I feel that some fans thinking "liking Kyle" means "not liking Hal."

Oh...and despite liking Jay more than Barry that didnt mean I "hated" Barry either.
        You're so right. You don't have to like one or the other. You can like both. They're not mutually exclusive.

I was 14-15 (man time flies... I'm hittin' my dirty 30 next month) when ET happened. I didn't like it or the new guy so I quit. I didn't make it my life's mission to harp on anyone that liked the story and everything that happened afterwards.

I just read what I liked until something about GL intrigued me enough or appealed to me again (which happened to be Rebirth).

Even today Kyle's my least favourite GL, but I still don't wish him or his fans any ill will, and I've even been able to enjoy his appearances at times.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2008, 09:47 PM.

Comment

I was reading a little bit of Green Lantern before Emerald Twilight but it was with Kyle that I started reading.

My opinion? Kyle's my favorite Lantern because I feel closer to him and I've read him the most. Hal is cool too though. Both rule. I was admittedly upset that Jordan replaced Kyle when he returned to the comic book but it's all cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Truegreen View Post
            You're so right. You don't have to like one or the other. You can like both. They're not mutually exclusive.

I was 14-15 (man time flies... I'm hittin' my dirty 30 next month) when ET happened.
            Damn time does fly. We'll blink, and then be remembering, "You guys remember that Sinestro Corps War 10 years ago?)

Comment

Well, after #50, I tried to like it, but just didn't. I soon stopped collecting it, then would only pick up the Hal appearances. Then, like Dave, came back on board around #99 and stayed with it till Kyle's end, still not really enjoying the series much. I read, all with high hopes, at some point, HAL WILL RETURN, and stuck by my guns until it happened! Since Hal's return, I have sold ALL my Kyle issues on ebay (except the Hal appearances of course).
              Visit the Mall of Oa for all your Green Lantern needs!

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Ennis View Post

I will give Marz credit for creating some realy cool villians like Effigy and Nero but the series wasn't worth reading again until Marz left.
                Well, you better give Judd Winick credit then, as he invented Nero!
                Visit the Mall of Oa for all your Green Lantern needs!

Comment

Working...
                X