Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if "Emerald Twilight" went like this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
    ...It might have. I could see that. If in your version Parallax didn't exist, and Hal just died a heroic death (with no body of course) destroying Oa and the Guardians enemies, Kyle would've been accepted even better by fans.
    But that would deny Hal his limitless value as a villain/anti-hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
      But that would deny Hal his limitless value as a villain/anti-hero.
      Which is at the point that the GL fanbase's opinions differ at about 50/50! Not gonna go into THAT one again because we both know where we stand on that one. Still like your idea more though!

Comment

Don't make me sick, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Superlantern View Post
          works for me but maybe they would have revealed the parasite to be....... a fear taco instead of bug
          great, now i have to make a fear taco. to morrow.
          [center]

Originally posted by W.West
          DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!

Comment

that is awesome. ALot better than what we got, and removed the worst part of Hal in ET: Killing fellow GL's

Comment

A pretty neat idea. Much more ... planned than what we got. Giving Hal a big heroic moment and totally failing before snapping would have been a nice sendoff. I don't think Mosaic could have effectively crossed over, though. It was slated for cancellation soon after it's release and I think it's end was set in stone. It woulda been nice to see John fight it out, though. Although, given your scenario, I dunno how he could have survived.

In the end it probably would have helped to alleve some of the anger in the older fans. After all, Hal doesn't go apeshit on his friends. All we need now in this ficticious scenario is a Parrallax mini set after Zero Hour that showcases Hal's adventures in space where he tries to right the fundemental wrongs of the universe and learns that, no matter how much you might want it, some things can't be changed or helped. Personally, I woulda liked to see Parrallax try to fix poverty. Or world hunger.

Comment

I don't know, I think that knocking Hal off of his damn pedestal was good for him.

Comment

In ten seconds time, you came up with a much better thought out and interesting version than Marz, Dooley and Carlin did together.

The fatal flaw in it though is that in your version, Hal still becomes a villain/anti hero. Too many fans (and creators in the business) just wouldn't accept that. Still, it's potentially a much better story than what we got.
                  One of the fan ideas that was bouncing around right after Emerald Toilet was based on the fact that Hal was NOT wearing a GL ring when he went bonkers. Rather Hal was wearing the ring of Lord Malvolio (Action #632-#635) who went through a lot of trouble to make sure Hal took his ring.

The Lord Malvolio idea also would have explained the whole Kyle-Oblivion thing that happened in Circle of Fire.

Comment

I still think the original ET, with Hal ending up as something else, but a positive something else, would've been better... the fact taht DC decided to scrap Jones' original story and basically forced him to write something else to get rid of Hal as GL is whaty lead to the problems with it all... the originally planned 6 part story would've been much better, imo, and would've been accepted more by fans, I think... even HalFing wouldn't be pissed, methinks... considering Hal was still a hero at the end... not a GL, and having the powers of Parallax, but still a full on hero... a conflicted hero, yes, but still a hero.
                    Parrylakks
                    Neko Samurai
                    Last edited by Parrylakks; 05-27-2009, 01:30 PM.
                    Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

Its funny with X-men Forever style comics, maybe we could someday see the other version of Emerald Twilight. I'm just thankful for GL Rebirth.

Speaking of the Lord Mal thing, I hope that gets played into the current mythos somehow.
                      White Lantern's Oath

From the center of all that is right,
                      To that which challenges all your might,
                      Never fade or give into strife,
                      Don't let it end...Live Your Life!

Comment

Rereading this thread, I've decided I really don't like it. Yes, it has more thought and effort put into it than what was actually published, even giving it more story potential. But the end result is still the end of the Guardians, Oa, the Corps, and Hal as a GL, with Kyle as the one and only GL. Just based on that alone, I'm 100% against it.

Comment

Rereading this thread, I've decided I really don't like it. Yes, it has more thought and effort put into it than what was actually published, even giving it more story potential. But the end result is still the end of the Guardians, Oa, the Corps, and Hal as a GL, with Kyle as the one and only GL. Just based on that alone, I'm 100% against it.
                          But at least its more exciting

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                            Was in the chat and this kind of popped into my head.

What if Marz' "Emerald Twilight" actually had been something like a 10 issue crossover event with "Mosaic" that actually -- even all the way back then -- would have given us the endgame of Alan Moore's Prophecy of Blackest Night.

Meaning...

Coast City has just been wiped out, Hal's still coping over it, but it's not something that's going to push him over the edge. Meanwhile, the Weaponers of Qward unite with Ranx, the Children of the White Lobe, and the Empire of Tears (who they free) to exterminate the Green Lantern Corps. While Hal is on Earth mourning in what's left of Coast City, Oa is struck head-on, the Lanterns getting swarmed and annihilated in a surprise attack despite John Stewart and Kilowog doing their best to marshal the troops. Sodam Yat plays a big part in the fighting, managing to put a significant dent in the opposition... yet in the end falls prey to the Lobespawn. John Stewart goes down swinging, either dying himself or becoming incapacitated.

Hal receives urgent orders to head to help defend Oa... and arrives just in time to see Ranx/Lobespawn detonating a blink bomb in Mogo's core. Fighting his way through the hordes to Oa, he realizes he is the last Green Lantern. On the surface, the cityscape of Oa is decimated, the Guardians gone... and demons playing music on drums bound with very curious blue skin.

With the hordes approaching fast on his heels, Hal enters the Central Power Battery, absorbs all the energy (destroying the Central Power Battery) and becomes Parallax -- vowing to make things right. Then, as the forces of the united Qwardians/Tears/White Lobians and Ranx in low orbit draw near... detonates Oa's own core with his new powers to obliterate all of his enemies.

Hal's survival or death is left mysterious for a while -- maybe he died with Oa, maybe not.

We track a wounded, battered Ganthet as he heads to Earth. Finds Kyle in an alley, gives him the ring and tells him to "Do what you must." He sacrifices himself and what's left of his energy/life to create a Lantern and ring for him. Kyle's story more or less continues as it did in the normal comics.

Fast forward to Zero Hour. Events happen the same, only difference now is that Hal is not in grief over just Coast City, but personally blames himself and has survivor guilt over not being there to defend Oa while all of his comrades died -- he wants to destroy the universe to remake it to undo the wrong, erase the battle that killed the Corps and the Guardians. Things play out the same.

Any thoughts?
                            WOW !!!

Color Me Impressed !!!

Comment

Troy likey.
                              Figures for Sale/Trade: DCUC/DCD/Green Lantern Related *CHEAP*
                              Formally known as TMarcumUSN (or "Marcus" freakin' Bruce Castle haha)

I'm a leaf on the wind...

Comment

Working...
                              X