Do you still identify more with Kyle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well see, the point of the poll was this:

Kyle debuted SIXTEEN YEARS AGO. So if you remember that, then you're not so young any more. In fact you're probably a good bit older than most of the Hal fans were back then who got relentlessly trolled for being "old.'

That being so, I have to wonder why you're still excited about Kyle being young, when in fact you're probably older than Kyle is now depicted as being.

Is it that you still think of yourself as being "young," even though you're not?

Or what?

Comment

I might be a little off from the point of the poll, but, reading Kyle's adventures when he was younger now that we (both him and myself) are closer to 30 than to 20... well, it gave me such a fit of nostalgia for the last century as I remembered it.

Kyle's everyman persona and the fact that he has been portrayed quite in detail in the more trivial aspects of his normal life, the fact he had time to completely grow up as a normal guy before getting in the superhero business - something very few people from his generation did, the fact that, being a relatively young character he has never been rebooted makes him a character and that belongs to a specific age, that coincidentally, is also my age. (Ah, yes, I've been called "stuck in the '90" before and it's totally accurate, so nevermind...=P)

TL;DR...? probably, I'll sum it up: I have no idea how I'd have greeted Mr Rayner at his debut, but the age he had when he did and the world he belonged to, makes me related to him the most now that we are the same age.

Comment

The only lesser exciting thing about him now is his generic uniform.

Comment

personally age shouldn't matter in my opinion...at least when reading GL.I like every character the same no matter how old they are...i hope im not off topic
          "History is a mirror of the past and a lesson of the present." - Persian Proverb

Comment

Kyle's not really portrayed all that young anymore, so I can't be too excited about it.

And I think he's become a bit more generic as he's progressed. It'd be nice if they tapped into some of the things that made him unique. Like using his artisty on his constructs, or that he's a people person. Or even show him being impressed by things he sees for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
              I wasn't excited for Kyle at all when he debuted... now... I am more interested in what happens to him than I was say.... 5 years ago.
              This.
              The age-thing doesn't really affect my reading of him one way or the other.

Comment

I like Kyle. I started reading green lantern when he was the green lantern.

Comment

Has Kyle's age even been a part of the book since Rebiirth? Reading it now I would think Hal, Kyle, John, and Guy were all the same age. Especially if I was a new fan coming onboard.

Comment

Was I supposed to identify with Kyle or sympathize with the guy for being the rookie? Just like Wally West, Dick Grayson and even Vic Stone..Kyle Rayner grew up. Its called character development. He's not that kid anymore, he can hold his own in any situation because that's what superheroes are supposed to do.

Comment

Exactly. DC introduced Kyle as a way to attract new readers, so that they could see his journey from day one. "No instruction manual", kind of like The Greatest American Hero. Despite my feeling at the time, it was a very smart move on DC's part. People that had never picked up a GL book in their lives did so because it was a fresh start and they got to learn about the GL mythos as Kyle did.

Now it's been 15 years and that element of his character is completely gone. Now he's one of the boys. The hero's journey is a great concept, but it only has so much gas in the tank. No fault of the character at all.

Comment

Every GL story Ron Marz wrote was a "coming of age" story. Even the very last one he wrote in Ion was. I never thought they'd be able to drag that out for 12 years, but they did. So it does deserve some respect for that, although I hated every minute of it

Comment

Originally posted by Limelantern View Post
                          Yea, I can still be entertained by characters that I have absolutely nothing in common with whatsoever.
                          Did someone say you couldn't? I personally could relate with Kyle the most and still enjoy the character.

Comment

i voted unsure/no opinion, but i thought his intro was neato / fab ... however, i quickly grew tired of kyle ... mind you, he's still in my top five GL list though ...

1. Guy
                            2. Ganthet
                            3. Hal
                            4. Kilowog
                            5. Kyle

Comment

I identify with Kyle, can't seem to find the right woman to settle down with.
                              But he's not the YOUNG GL anymore

AGENT RED BLACK OPS
                              Bring on CHAOS, bring on MY HAPPINESS, bring on rage ..Rage ..RAGE!!!

facebook: d3v1lb0y888 ...twitter: d3v1lb0y_8 ..instagram: d3v1lb0y

Comment

Working...
                              X