A Theory About Entities.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Theory About Entities.

What are the chances of us seeing Sinestro possessed by an entity? Maybe he was infected with an entity, and this is what spurred his megalomania and notions of supreme rule back in Emerald Dawn... or maybe hope, compassion or love will inhabit him and cause him to fix his ways... Maybe Johns is going to give him the Rebirth treatment and bring him back as a GL? Entities are wonderful scapegoats.
    "Don't disturb my circles."

I dont see Sinestro being used as a vessel for any entity or even see him being possessed by any in the past.

Im not knocking the idea of him ever going to be but I hope Johns doesnt give sinestro the Rebirth treatment as Sin is meant to be the arch nemesis of Hal Jordan, not a good guy. Since he was created he was meant to be the enemy of Hal and with him being Hals enemy it has been shown to progress Hal as the Greatest Green Lantern.

This is why I would want to see him stay as he is for the time being and hope he doesnt become a GL again..

Comment

No, I don't see Sinestro being used either. Agent Orange has a share of what ever the orange entity is but nothing like Ion being housed in Yat. Even though he has a firewall up.

Comment

Sinestro seems to be good buddies with Parallax anyway. I don't think he would possess Sinestro anyway, he so far likes to possess heroes not villains.

Comment

I realize I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind seeing Sinestro redeemed in some way. The problem is that no matter how it was done, it would just feel too contrived. As someone said, he was created to be a bad guy, and I'm not sure anyone could ever accept an alternate explanation for his behavior. And it would only be a matter of time before another writer came along and decided the whole thing was stupid and retconned the retcon so that he was really evil all along, after all.

So yeah, I don't think it would work.

I desperately want to see some stories about Sinestro when he was a rookie GL. It's not really fair that we only know him as the maniac he is now because we have no way to compare (and no, just saying "Oh, he was the greatest Green Lantern at one time" doesn't really give us a clear picture of the man he used to be). Was he ever young and hopeful and gung-ho to make a difference in the universe... sort of like a rookie cop who later becomes jaded and cynical? Only instead of giving up and becoming numb, he decided he could do it better his way? Or was he always just a power-hungry jerk with phenomenal will?

One of the few things I like about Emerald Twilight is Sinestro's narration before he appears to fight Hal. If I recall correctly, there's a part where he's talking about all the things you do as a GL, and then one day you start to ask yourself "What has this ring done for me?". That's a very natural response to living a dangerous life serving others, I think. Power alone is enough to corrupt, but the temptation must be even worse when you're not just powerful -- you're putting your neck on the line every single day. And people being what they are, the public probably comes across as a bunch of ungrateful wretches most of the time.

I'm actually surprised that more GLs haven't gone bad. Maybe none have been as delusional, or had the will to be as powerful, as Sinestro, but I suspect that more than one GL out there uses his power for personal gain in small ways.

It has also occurred to me that we don't know anything about how Korugar was run before Sinestro took control of it. It's all relative. I mean, think about it this way (and I realize this is a super over-simplification of the Civil War, but bear with me in my metaphor here): if the south had won the American Civil War, what do you suppose the history books would say about Abraham Lincoln? If you try to make sweeping changes to a society too quickly, or before it's ready to accept them, you're reviled.

So what if the status quo on Korugar was something like America two hundred years ago, and Sinestro's "despotism" was in taking control of the government and freeing the slaves, giving women the vote, and making it illegal to put orphans to work for twelve-hour days in factories? Sure, he's still a dictator and it was still wrong (and definitely against GL rules) to use/abuse his power to take control, but it does change the perspective a little.

I'm not saying any of that is true or even an option or anything -- I just like to look at things from every possible angle. And either way, he's still a mass murderer and terrorist, so none of that would wipe it all clean.

Sorry, Sin. I love you, but you're still dirty.

Comment

why did/does ganthet and sayd want sinestro ??? what does sinestro "hope" for ??? will yellow plus blue equal green again for sinestro ???

Comment

Originally posted by bOB spelled backwards View Post
              why did/does ganthet and sayd want sinestro ??? what does sinestro "hope" for ??? will yellow plus blue equal green again for sinestro ???
              Excellent questions. And Ganthet and Sayd seemed to really want Sinestro not just to live, but to come to Odym, but then suddenly they were like "Nah, it's cool, Hal will find him when the skies turn black! (insert dramatic music here)". What was up with that?

I hope for the chance to see what a variety of characters hope for. That's a question that can give great insight into a character.

Comment

I cant wait to see more Blue Lanterns other than Saint Walker and Warth and how the other rings are affected by the blue light as we already know when near a blue lantern green gets a significant power boost, but without a GL present they are weakened when around red lanterns...

So Im just curious as to how Fear, Love, Compassion (indigo) and Greed affect the likes of Saint Walker and Warth...

Comment

Well, we know that Blue Lanterns' rings drain yellow and counter effect red when a green ring is present. So, I think that with love, it makes a person more level headed when deciding what "love is."

Comment

I don't see Sinestro being influenced by an entity. Jhons went out of his way to give Sinestro some real good reasons for turning bad. Deeper reasons than even Emerald Dawn gave, really. I don't see that being reversed.

I'm not certain we'll see Sinestro being posessed by an entity. I tend to think not, but you never do know. Maybe it's because he's Hal's #1 nemesis ... what are heroes without their greatest foes? And he's been made into such a good villain now.

Well, we know that Blue Lanterns' rings drain yellow and counter effect red when a green ring is present. So, I think that with love, it makes a person more level headed when deciding what "love is."
                    Do you really think hope would be a grouding force for love?

Comment

Okay. This is where my friends and I disagree. They say that Sinestro is evil, plain and simple. I don't think so though.So many of the things he's done have 1. empowered the GLC in some way, 2. made Hal better at his job, 3. been done to bring order/peace to the universe. We must admit, his motives are just a bit nobler than the other sincorps members.

Comment

Sinestro *was* evil plan and simple (and won the evil popularity contest on Qward many times to prove it). But in Vol 4, he's been made more complex. So in a way, you're both right.

Comment

Originally posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
                          Sinestro *was* evil plan and simple (and won the evil popularity contest on Qward many times to prove it).
                          Did he ever actually win? It always seemed like he was TRYING to win, and would therefore put some scheme into motion with regards to Hal, then fail. Presumably that would hurt his score?

I always kind of wondered what his perennial rival in those contests, Gypo Bax (I think that was his name), was doing that was so evil that he was neck-and-neck with Sinestro.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                            Did he ever actually win? It always seemed like he was TRYING to win, and would therefore put some scheme into motion with regards to Hal, then fail. Presumably that would hurt his score?

I always kind of wondered what his perennial rival in those contests, Gypo Bax (I think that was his name), was doing that was so evil that he was neck-and-neck with Sinestro.
                            Making footwear from the delicate skins of newborn kittens? Even Sinestro wouldn't stoop that low! (Well, okay, he did once, and that's why we have Dex-Star to contend with now.)

I think that very few, if any, characters should ever be written as either 100% good or 100% evil. Nothing in real life is ever that simple, and it's both the greatest strength and greatest weakness of comics that they often portray things to be that black and white. Give me shades of grey over everything! I want my heroes to make mistakes, and my villains to have understandable motivations that I can identify with even if I don't agree with them.

And then, on those very rare occasions when you do have someone who's so good or so evil that they approach absolute, it might actually mean something.

Comment

Originally posted by Duskdog View Post
                              I desperately want to see some stories about Sinestro when he was a rookie GL.
                              Seconded. I'd like to see a mini on Sinestro's origin as a GL, how he gradually developed his philosophies and took control of Korugar. There are already two conflicting origin stories for Sinestro so that's twice as many retcons for Johns to play with.

Comment

Working...
                              X