Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do the Lantern comics seem to be unaffected by new 52?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm beginning to smell this summer's big DC event. The three timelines are beginning to come together...the influence of Pandora is strong...

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

I don't think it's a "big sellers" thing. I think it was more Johns and Morrison didn't want editorial fucking with their universes. Johns is high enough up in editorial and Morrison gets enough readers so DC caved and left them mostly intact, if a bit compressed. I think the only way the timeline could work would make Kyle GL for 6 months to a year.
      [center]

Originally posted by W.West
      DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!

Comment

I enjoy a few components of the new 52 thing (costumes, and assorted "tweaks"), but not enough to make up for basically trashing all the investment in the characters that had been built up. I hope they get enough "new readers" to mkake up for all the ones turned off by this. I've checked a few of the books out, but don't think i'll be continuing with them, as they'll just end up doing this every few years for a "refresh". No thanks.
        -Rational arguments are inherently highly ineffective against irrational beliefs.
        -Marriage is not heterosexual privilege, but rather a civil right.

-"My objection to religious belief is not that it is universally harmful but, simply, that it is false."

Comment

I think part of it is that GL has a much larger fanbase then, I don't know, Static Shock or something. Plus, Blackest Night affected other series too... And it was such a huge story line anyway, so it'd be a real shame to just start over from that again. Think I'm safe in saying that GL is one of if not the most popular series DC does- in the New 52, they have 4 separate lantern series. So they're keen to get them right! And just starting again would seriously annoy the existing fans.

Obviously the New 52 was designed to get new readers into comics, so the trade-off with the GLs is that it's much less accessible for newbies... But as an existing fan, I don't care, as long they keep pumping out these awesome new stories! =D

Comment

Lately, it's that GL seems unaffected, but when you think about past stories, a majority of them either a) didn't happen at all, or b) are vastly different, even the recent stuff like the Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night.
            The last fan of 1990s comics
            Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Exactly. Just because the lantern titles haven't addressed the past doesn't mean it hasn't been affected by it. Though, the answer to the initial question is still "Geoff Johns runs the world of DC Comics so why would he change his 7 years of work"

Comment

I'm just surprised that they didn't call it DC rebirth
                Winner of THE INFAMOUS PEOPLE DRAFT 2011

Comment

Or DC Afterbirth.

Comment

It's mainly because the Sinestro Corps war and Blackest Night were such huge events and made such good sales that the GL comics are still in the aftermatch of them with all the coloured Corps still running around. If all that suddenly disappeared with the New 52 event they would have risked losing a lot of readers, me included. It would have been as if they pulled the rug out from under them.
                    I've collected every GL comic since the Sinestro Corps war. I still want to see what happens with the coloured Corps.

Comment

Well, the GLverse might not have been affected by Flashpoint, but they've been in the Geoffverse since Secret Origin.

Comment

Originally posted by ns2 View Post
                        If that's the case he used his Jedi mind tricks
                        Originally posted by Jim Lantern View Post
                        It's mainly because the Sinestro Corps war and Blackest Night were such huge events and made such good sales that the GL comics are still in the aftermatch of them with all the coloured Corps still running around. If all that suddenly disappeared with the New 52 event they would have risked losing a lot of readers, me included. It would have been as if they pulled the rug out from under them.
                        I've collected every GL comic since the Sinestro Corps war. I still want to see what happens with the coloured Corps.
                        Let's not forget that pre New DCU the GL titles were topping the charts. And I'm sure SOME of Morrison's Batman work has been mucked with.

Comment

I think that they created a lot more possibilities from a writing point of view for themselves with all those colored corps. Furthermore I'd agree with Jim Lantern on the success of the series. Why alter the story when it's running good. Big changes occured storywise IMO, like Hal not being a regular GL anymore, Sinestro being one and so forth.

Comment

Because everything has gone according to his designs. The Dark Lord Johns has risen, and he shall soon choose his apprentice-SUPERBOY PRIME! You see, Johns attempts to use Prime to break down the dimensional barrier, and let the DCU and our universe interact. But little does Johns know he's being manipulated by a far deadlier force: Darth Meta! Guess who Darth Meta is.

An in-universe explanation? Krona did it. Krona wants to weaken the Green Lantern Corps/keep his effects. He's changed history before(see CoIE), so he set a contingency to protect his actions from Flashpoint.

Comment

Working...
                            X