Green Lantern #0 *Preview/Spoilers*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Deadpool
    Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

• Deadpool
    replied
    Originally posted by Tazer View Post
    Yo.

so wait: why does this guy have a gun again?!??

Tazer
    Aparently, if his ring ever gives out (seeing he probably does not trust it), that's his plan B.

Leave a comment:

• Espronceda
    Major Force's Dinner Date

• Espronceda
    replied
    Well, since he is a carjacker he needs the gun and the hood... Thief Lantern... Green Carjacker... So many options...

Leave a comment:

• Tazer
    That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

• Tazer
    replied
    Yo.

so wait: why does this guy have a gun again?!??

Tazer

Leave a comment:

• Espronceda

• Espronceda
    replied
    A friend of mine was upset because he bought the issue and thought it was weak. I took a look and I thought it was worse than I expected. On one hand Hal's book has been hijacked once more to highlight Johns' mediocre new characters, and on the other one has to stomach a soapbox issue equal to Winick's nonesense.

First, the new character is a criminal; that's grand theft! Sorry but the whole "I'm doing it because I need to support my family" is weak. I know a lot of people who have gone through really tough times and they don't steal. According to the law he should be in jail; heck, according to Sharia Law he should have his hands cut. And this is the new "hero" we should be cheering for? Sorry, I don't like criminals it doesn't matter their background.

I think this whole thing is just pandering to a particular group while trying to make news by proclaming how diverse DC is. In the case of Johns, this is just his chance to try yo put his stamp by creating his own Earth GL. You'll see Baz will be a big Mary Sue, if John can't do it in the GL title because fans will get mad, the he'll do it in JLA.

All I can hope is that Johns leaves GL early next year so we can get a new creative team and we can focus on Hal Jordan again.
    Espronceda
    Last edited by Espronceda; 09-07-2012, 09:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mister Ed
    Horse of a Different Color

• Mister Ed
    replied
    Originally posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
    Firstly, the story never says that crime is an acceptable way to solve your problems. Being selected as a GL in no way states that the user has never made a mistake in his life.
    Which isn't what I'm saying. But there is a BIG difference between never having made a mistake, and being a currently active car thief whose mindset is apparently that his behavior is justified somehow, and not in fact "a mistake". That MINDSET, that the situation he is in JUSTIFIES stealing cars, that that is an acceptable solution to his problems, is what I object to in a GL, and THAT is what he shares with other villains, even given the widely varying SCOPE of their crimes.

Secondly, the analogy is far, FAR to simplistic an limited to be effective. You may as well say "why didn't the ring select Braniac if it selects Baz?" Or "Selecting a car thief? That's like selecting Carnage!" No, it's not the same at all. It's a overly simplistic analogy that refuses to address motivations and the actual crime being committed. Theft is a fer less serious crime than murder or mass murder or mass kidnapping. Braniac is a supervillain. Carnage is a supervillain. Baz is not like them. Baz is not like a supervillain.
    Except in that one way, that one way that I'm objecting to.

It seems like you keep trying to reframe my argument into something it isn't, namely saying "Baz is the same as Brainiac!". My analogy ISN'T as broad as you are making it out to be. Maybe I'm just not expressing it well. That's a real possibility.

Leave a comment:

• Gauntlet101010
    Alpha-Lantern

• Gauntlet101010
    replied
    Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
    But that "one fact" (i.e. the notion that crime is an acceptable route to solving your problems/ getting what you want, which applies to ALL criminals, theives or otherwise) is THE fact that I have a problem with in a ring wielder, so the analogy, limited as it is, IS sound for the objection I'm trying to voice.
    Firstly, the story never says that crime is an acceptable way to solve your problems. Being selected as a GL in no way states that the user has never made a mistake in his life.

Secondly, the analogy if far, FAR to simplistic an limited to be effective. You may as well say "why didn't the ring select Braniac if it selects Baz?" Or "Selecting a car thief? That's like selecting Carnage!" No, it's not the same at all. It's a overly simplistic analogy that refuses to address motivations and the actual crime being committed. Theft is a fer less serious crime than murder or mass murder or mass kidnapping. Braniac is a supervillain. Carnage is a supervillain. Baz is not like them. Baz is not like a supervillain.

Leave a comment:

• Mister Ed

• Mister Ed
    replied
    I will say this. If the reason he got the ring in the first place is because it was malfunctioning (which seems to be the case) AND he comes to realize that his choices were bad, I could warm conceivably warm up to the notion.

If he maintains the idea that his choices were somehow justified, and only stops stealing cars because now he doesn't "have to", then the character will likely grate on me.

Leave a comment:

• Mister Ed

• Mister Ed
    replied
    They have that one fact in common. That's it. They are not alike in any other sense. And you're only factoring into supervillains that steal things. It doesn't even relate to every supervillain out there. So, no.
    But that "one fact" (i.e. the notion that crime is an acceptable route to solving your problems/ getting what you want, which applies to ALL criminals, theives or otherwise) is THE fact that I have a problem with in a ring wielder, so the analogy, limited as it is, IS sound for the objection I'm trying to voice.

Leave a comment:

• Gauntlet101010
    Alpha-Lantern

• Gauntlet101010
    replied
    Except you keep ignoring the fact that I'm not EQUATING them, just saying that they have something in common.

To the best of my knowledge, I haven't stolen anything. Perhaps that little quirk of mine is skewing my perception.
    They have that one fact in common. That's it. They are not alike in any other sense. And you're only factoring into supervillains that steal things. It doesn't even relate to every supervillain out there. So, no.

Leave a comment:

• Mister Ed

• Mister Ed
    replied
    By that token you could say a teenager stealing a candy bar is like a supervillain. Or someone who downloads mp3s or movies. Or someone who just never returned that movie back to the rental store?

Hell, by that logic, who among us has never been a super villain at one time or another?
    Except you keep ignoring the fact that I'm not EQUATING them, just saying that they have something in common.

To the best of my knowledge, I haven't stolen anything. Perhaps that little quirk of mine is skewing my perception.

Leave a comment:

• Gauntlet101010
    Alpha-Lantern

• Gauntlet101010
    replied
    Geoff never portrayed that as a justified viewpoint in the story. That is a viewpoint Baz has, and you see how he comes to that conclusion, but we haven't seen it actually justified.

I expect the next issue will have his family horrified and disappointed in him.

Leave a comment:

• Mister Ed

• Mister Ed
    replied
    Originally posted by Lantern A-train View Post
    Well after enough racist and/or bigoted people tell you no or don't give you the time of day it may make you feel that way whether it is the case or not. I'm not justifying being a thief but for him he may have felt that that was his only option.
    And THAT is the exact thing I was dreading, that Geoff was going to try to paint it that his raw deal from society somehow MADE him become a car thief, and that it wasn't really his fault that he made such a choice. Because not everybody in that kind of position makes that choice, and frankly, IMHO, the ones that are in that position yet STILL have the determination to make the choice NOT to go that route are the ones that seem like better choices to wield a ring fueled by will, in the cause of justice.

Leave a comment:

• Gauntlet101010
    Alpha-Lantern

• Gauntlet101010
    replied
    At all? I'd say there is SOME level of similarity, both being criminals. In some cases, the ONLY difference is a matter of power. Or do you dispute that there are plenty of "supervillains" that would qualify as petty thieves if they didn't have the special powers or abilities to back them up?

Not every supervillain is aiming for world domination. Some just seem to steal things.
    By that token you could say a teenager stealing a candy bar is like a supervillain. Or someone who downloads mp3s or movies. Or someone who just never returned that movie back to the rental store?

Hell, by that logic, who among us has never been a super villain at one time or another?
    Gauntlet101010
    Alpha-Lantern
    Last edited by Gauntlet101010; 09-07-2012, 08:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SD80MAC
    Not a True Fan

• SD80MAC
    replied
    Tell that to the JUDGE!

Leave a comment:

• Mister Ed

• Mister Ed
    replied
    Not saying he's right, but I am saying your analogy is flawed. Being a petty criminal is not the same as being a supervillain. At all.
    At all? I'd say there is SOME level of similarity, both being criminals. In some cases, the ONLY difference is a matter of power. Or do you dispute that there are plenty of "supervillains" that would qualify as petty thieves if they didn't have the special powers or abilities to back them up?

Not every supervillain is aiming for world domination. Some just seem to steal things.

My point, though, wasn't that Simon Baz is a supervillain. It was that someone who is able to convince themself that stealing cars is their only option to support their family in this country is NOT someone who I want making decisions using a power ring, and not someone I'm seeing as a plausible candidate for said ring.
    Mister Ed
    Last edited by Mister Ed; 09-07-2012, 08:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X