Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we save more Lanterns from the Emerald Space?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we save more Lanterns from the Emerald Space?

I know that there are some that can't come back, Abin, Tomar Re, but could we possibly free a few other Lanterns from the Emerald Space thanks to Hal's special ability along with Kyle's White Lantern ones. It would seem to me that Hal would at least try to free them all but maybe Abin and Tomar are too long gone. Too many great Lanterns have been needlessly slaughtered in past events that would be very enjoyable to have on the active roster again.

I vote for Ch'p.

Comment

I say bring Tomar Re back anyway. If I could pick one it'd be him. They've done dumber stuff in comics over the years. Bring him back the best way they can, then move on and make it settled. In fact, they should have brought him back with the nu52 or Rebirth and ignored he ever died in the first place. If we can accept that John was a marine, we can forget that Tomar Re was ever dead at all.

Comment

Tomar was a favorite of mine as a kid, but if I could only have one, squirrel in overalls > fish-bird. That's just science.

Comment

Science!

Comment

Tomar would be cool, but with Tomar-Tu currently taking his place, I think his role might be considered a bit redudant. Personally I'd like to see Arkkis again, if any Lantern were to suddenly come back from the dead.
            Mister.Weirdo
            Guardian of the Universe
            Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 03-04-2017, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Ooh! Arkkis! I liked him! Arkkis was like the GLC's version of a Klingon. His type of character always has a place in the ensemble cast GLC titles. Good choice.

Comment

Chance can stay dead. Always felt like a Lobo ripoff and I don't like Lobo.

Comment

Hmm... If I was to resurrect any, it would be Ch'p and Katma. I think both are really important characters (relatively) who died really, really, REALLY dumb throwaway deaths. However, Ch'p's death did further the plot of Mosaic along quite a bit. And yet, if DC is never going to acknowledge Mosaic, why acknowledge Ch'p's death?

That's the fan in me speaking, but if I was a writer on these titles... I probably wouldn't bring back any of them unless I got the opportunity to write during a massive continuity overhaul, and I could decide what did and didn't happen. Then I'd just write it so Ch'p and Katma never died.

However, taking DC's current continuity into account, I would feel weird about incorporating Katma with Soranik being as important a character as she is. While I like Katma better, I generally think that they're too similar to have around at the same time, and whatever you want to do with Katma, you could do with Soranik, so I would just leave Katma dead. Well... it depends on how you would want to play it, I guess. You could play Soranik as being the Sinestro Corps counterpart to Katma, so you can make it work. However, that goofy evil counterpart thing usually works a little smoother when one of the characters is good and the other is clearly evil, which wouldn't be the case with Soranik and Katma. You'd just have two very similar characters. At the least, I think one of them should grow considerably longer hair to better differentiate them visually (I'd probably have Katma's longer).
                  Star-Lantern
                  Weaponer of Qward
                  Last edited by Star-Lantern; 12-16-2016, 03:07 PM.
                  ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                    Hmm... If I was to resurrect any, it would be Ch'p and Katma. I think both are really important characters (relatively) who died really, really, REALLY dumb throwaway deaths. . .
                    Thank you.

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                    However, taking DC's current continuity into account, I would feel weird about incorporating Katma with Soranik being as important a character as she is. . .
                    I don't know. I think most of the "problems" you could make actual good stories from: what happens when a presumed dead lantern returns and has been replaced for years? How does a man react when he's moved on and his wife/love-of-his-life comes back from beyond? Those bits (even if they're a bit soap opera--what comic isn't?) could be done well.

Comment

If Katma came back and they DIDN'T address her relationship with John, it would be beyond disappointing. I'd rather she stayed dead than have that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                        Thank you.

I don't know. I think most of the "problems" you could make actual good stories from: what happens when a presumed dead lantern returns and has been replaced for years? How does a man react when he's moved on and his wife/love-of-his-life comes back from beyond? Those bits (even if they're a bit soap opera--what comic isn't?) could be done well.
                        There was a classic black and white movie, "My Favorite Wife" which handled it very well without making either of the female love interests the villain. Your first great love vs the new one that is suited to the person that you are now. The Katma scene has me thinking they have something in mind for her. She wasn't just a familiar silhouette but had maybe the most powerful lines in the issue. That plus the Hal line about her dying twice. Third time's the charm.
                        As for resurrecting Lanterns, Arkiss was the first Lantern to die that really hurt so he is forever on my list. Some were killed off screen by Grayven in some stupid event to make him look good, like Hollika Rahn. I am not sure how or if Kreon and other unseen Lantern's are dead and while Boodikka, Laira and Jack T Chance died memorable deaths recently they were unique Lanterns and I would like it if they came back, the female warrior Lantern, the ninja lantern and the Lobo lantern. I know Kylaax killed Chance but Kyle also 'killed' Major Force and he shows up all the time.

Comment

Probably a dumb question about Kyle

I can't find anywhere that Kyle died during the new 52 or in Omega men (I'm guessing that you have to be dead in order to reach the emerald place.
                          Can someone please explain? Is it explained later, I just read issue 9 (I'm a bit behind since I live in Sweden.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                            Ooh! Arkkis! I liked him! Arkkis was like the GLC's version of a Klingon. His type of character always has a place in the ensemble cast GLC titles. Good choice.
                            He was also the first GL alien lantern to be introduced in a back-up story.

Good character, and I think there's a lot of potential that could have been done with the character, if they hadn't decided kill him off during the crisis.
                            Mister.Weirdo
                            Guardian of the Universe
                            Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 12-17-2016, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
                              He was also the first GL alien lantern to be introduced in a back-up story.

Good character, and I think there's a lot of potential that could have been done with the character, if they hadn't decided kill him off during the crisis.
                              I could be wrong, but I think... I think... Arkkiss died in an annual in the 80s. Oh yeah, he did. I think he was fighting... Maaldor or someone. Makes no difference, though

It was a long ago forgotten event. It's interesting how some of these Green Lanterns have managed to retain a bit of relevance and presence even after being dead for decades. I think that is mostly due to animation. Katma has had some really big roles in cartoons, and Ch'p has left a mark there, too. Same with Arkkiss and Tomar. Whenever Green Lantern stuff gets adapted, it seems the developers use the classic characters instead of the stand-ins.

I would like to see K'ryssma return. I always thought she pretty cool, and as alien GL's go, she was pretty important in the '80s.
                              ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Working...
                              X