Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yo.

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
    I don't agree with Morrison that Batman's universal appeal is because he's gay. Batman is universally appealing because we can easily relate to him, especially when compared to most of the other DC superhero's (the majority of whom have Superpowers).
    personally, Ive never seen how Bats is regarded as "easily relatable", given his unique set of circumstances wich 99.44% of humanity has nothing in common with.

.........unless its about the wearing a cape & swinging from the Bat-line, cuz *that* I can understand.

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
    Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

He has no superpowers, he is more human than most of the DCU heroes. Otherwise I can't think of another good reason as to why his concept is so appealing.

At least I know that Batman's appeal is not because he is gay.
      Mister.Weirdo
      Guardian of the Universe
      Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 04-27-2012, 11:57 AM.

Comment

He has no superpowers, he is more human than most of the DCU heroes. Otherwise I can't think of another good reason as to why his concept is so appealing.

At least I know that Batman's appeal is not because he is gay.
        He has infinity bagillion dollars and is naturally good at everything. He's got the worst case of PTSD in history and adopts children to make them into gaudy ninjas.

There isn't a person alive who is anything like that. Just cause he's a mere mortal in backstory doesn't make him one. Batman is no more or less relatable than Superman, Spider-man, GL or any of them.
        Goodbye Christopher Hitchins 1949 - 2011

Comment

Then what makes Batman so popular? Superman is the most important superhero of all time, but he seems to be becoming less irrelevant these days, particular with the general public. What makes Batman so successful with movies currently, while every other DC character adapted seems to fail? Why does DC publish more Batman comics then any other character, and why are they the most successful selling comics on the market currently?
          Mister.Weirdo
          Guardian of the Universe
          Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 04-27-2012, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Because Batman's gay.

Duh.

Comment

Then what makes Batman so popular? Superman is the most important superhero of all time, but he seems to be becoming less irrelevant these days, particular with the general public. What makes Batman so successful with movies currently, while every other DC character adapted seems to fail? Why does DC publish more Batman comics then any other character, and why are they the most successful selling comics on the market currently?
              what makes batman popular?

ill bite

a guy who dosent have superpowers dresses up like a bat and beats the holy fuck out of criminals

another thing about batman is he has an amazing set of villains
              .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

*BZZZZZZT* No, I'm afraid the answer we were looking for was...

"Batman is gay." Batman is gay, yes, but you still have the board, make your next selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Boy View Post
                  *BZZZZZZT* No, I'm afraid the answer we were looking for was...

"Batman is gay." Batman is gay, yes, but you still have the board, make your next selection.
                  and like i said so what if he is?

he still kicks ass out of crime

Comment

Originally posted by W.West View Post
                    DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!
                    I don't think his article was talking about Batman being gay, but that he has gay aspects.
                    Right. It doesn't matter that the character is literally not gay. Morrison is just getting down to the psychological/sociological side and saying all things being equal, if you were speaking of a guy who dresses in tights and prefers the company of men, you'd think "gay."

As far as how that relates to appeal, I suppose it would be the lurid or taboo appeal. I.e., for most people gay sex, relationships with boys or old men, and s&m (leather, hoods, whips) [and there's your Wonder Woman, Mav] are "other" or "outsider." Batman would provide a "safe" outlet for exploring those things.

Now, you don't have to buy into any of that (I probably don't either), but that's one way I could see what he's talking about.

Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
                    and like i said so what if he is?
                    he still kicks ass out of crime
                    My guess would be the "so what" is just the reversal of expectation; that it's a joke all these people think about how macho Batman is but the character has a gay basis. Again, you don't have to buy into that.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      Right. It doesn't matter that the character is literally not gay. Morrison is just getting down to the psychological/sociological side and saying all things being equal, if you were speaking of a guy who dresses in tights and prefers the company of men, you'd think "gay."

As far as how that relates to appeal, I suppose it would be the lurid or taboo appeal. I.e., for most people gay sex, relationships with boys or old men, and s&m (leather, hoods, whips) [and there's your Wonder Woman, Mav] are "other" or "outsider." Batman would provide a "safe" outlet for exploring those things.

Now, you don't have to buy into any of that (I probably don't either), but that's one way I could see what he's talking about.

My guess would be the "so what" is just the reversal of expectation; that it's a joke all these people think about how macho Batman is but the character has a gay basis. Again, you don't have to buy into that.
                      i just find it pointless to base any charachter soley on there sexual preferance ( not saying being gay is a choice )

Comment

Not a big fan of the Ambiguously Gay Duo then, e?

Comment

Originally posted by TazzMission View Post
                          i just find it pointless to base any charachter soley on there sexual preferance ( not saying being gay is a choice )
                          NOBODY SAID ANYTHING ABOUT BATMAN'S SEXUAL PREFERANCE BEING GAY!

Comment

:Moderator:

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                            NOBODY SAID ANYTHING ABOUT BATMAN'S SEXUAL PREFERANCE BEING GAY!
                            Then what was he trying to say? Batman seems "very, very gay" but that he's not actually?

That's why I said the whole was "absurd", and aside from getting people (like us) to talk about what Morrison said, entirely pointless.
                            sigpic
                            Winner: Reality TV draft 2014

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick_GL View Post
                              Then what was he trying to say? Batman seems "very, very gay" but that he's not actually?

That's why I said the whole was "absurd", and aside from getting people (like us) to talk about what Morrison said, entirely pointless.
                              Bruce Wayne himself is not gay.

The elements that created the fictional know as The Batman have "gay" elements.

That's what Morrison is saying, nothing about the sexual preference of the actual character itself.

Comment

Batman went to the Fortress of Solitude to talk about his emotions with Superman. That's not outright gay, but it's suggestively gay; we'll leave it aside for now because of how inconclusive it is.

However, aliens that look like penises arrive at the Fortress. These extraterrestrial dicks ("extra-dicks") shortly thereafter mutate...to grow extra dicks out of multiple orifices. Hairy alien cocks that have tentacles and can generate more phallus-looking things from their already-penile bodies. They are also psychic, if I recall correctly: hairy alien cocks that grow more hairy alien cocks that can telepathically fuck your brain.

"Unfortunately," the extra-dicks die from lack of emotional honesty, and Batman and Superman spend the last few pages crying uncontrollably about how space dongs are dying all over their emotion-laden man cave.

You cannot make this shit up. It really fucking happened.
                                Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

Working...
                                X