Green Lantern Vol. 6 #12 questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Lantern Vol. 6 #12 questions?

So what exactly happened here? I'm a bit confused. GLs on Oa got their rings back, the battery is a big rainbow ball now? Random folks are different colored lanterns now? The dead GLs are, what exactly? Still dead? Alive as energy beings? And John went back to be with the powerless GLs in the Lost Sector (or whatever it is called), as some kind of Super GL? And the Guardians are ALL dead again? Or is Ganthet still kicking around somewhere? Where does this title go from here?

Throwing everything out and rebooting it with Alan as the star is looking better and better to me all the time.

Comment

I'm just glad it's over. Now DC can assign a writer to fix these events and sweep them under the rug.

Here's the current status quo from my understanding :

2 human active GLs, Hal Jordan and Jo Checkmark.
      John Stewart is another generic omnipotent hero for now.
      Kyle and Guy weren't worth the time to explain where they are.
      11 year old Bolivian girl lost the gauntlet and Baz will groom her as a creeper.
      Baz is now special teams, and his job is communication with dead GLs
      Jessica Cruz? I forget/don't care.
      Alan Scott. Picking up twinks with his coincidentally gay son in anthology oneshots once a year

Iolande and Bdg are now the only sapphire and blue place holders.

The cpb is replaced by a multi colored sphere that picks your color ring for you? On Oa at least.

The guardians appear to be dead again.

Malthus is gone. Some of the rainbow homeworlds too.

Sigh...
      All of this crap can be fixed in one issue thankfully, but is anyone left at DC competent enough to make it happen? The current editors at DC seem to be 20 somethings that havent read the actual comics. I actually blame what passes for editorial more than Geoff Thorne. He clearly needed strong guidance and support and they failed him by not cockblocking his shitty ideas.

Comment

The idea they've long operated under is that the way to fix a vast pile of shit is to dump more and more and more shit on it.

Uh-uh. The way to fix it is to get rid of the shit. That's the ONLY way. Haul it off until all that's left is what you started with long ago. That part wasn't shit. Then stay within that unpretentious framework and refuse any more deliveries of shit. from anybody.

When people say you should have kept this turd or that one, tell they have many hundreds of shit-filled stories in their cardboard boxes that they can read and enjoy They don't need new shitty stories as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
          So what exactly happened here? I'm a bit confused. GLs on Oa got their rings back, the battery is a big rainbow ball now? Random folks are different colored lanterns now? The dead GLs are, what exactly? Still dead? Alive as energy beings? And John went back to be with the powerless GLs in the Lost Sector (or whatever it is called), as some kind of Super GL? And the Guardians are ALL dead again? Or is Ganthet still kicking around somewhere? Where does this title go from here?
          My interpretation is this: when the Anti-Guardian absorbed all of the various energies, including mystical ones, they went with John to the Source. When John rebuilt the CPB, he redistributed those various energies back into the universe. Some former GLs like Iolande must have been more in-tune with non-will energies to become others types of Lanterns.

John referred to himself as the "Emerald Knight", so I'm guessing that he still has a connection with the Source. It seems like he'll be leading the reformed GLC, provided that he's still around after Dark Crisis. It will be interesting to see what happens there since the Source suggested that John being ascended makes him immune to death.

Comment

DC has another thing coming if they think i'm going to support another GL series until they resolve where Guy and Kyle are. I bounced once I realized Thorne had no intentions of resolving that. Trashing my favorites is not going to make me like their diversity cast.

Comment

The thing of giving Green Lanterns other powers has flopped every time. And I'm not a fan of the Warrior powers. But the Gerard Jones and Beau Smith version of Guy has a personality that could sell as a supporting character with new powers. I'd give him and Jim Corrigan roles in Alan's comic, and Guy is the only Lantern I'd hold over in the reboot. But to be credible he'd have to give Battgod a bad and deserved beating.

Alan with his family, Derby and Ace, and with those two supporting players, would work. You should show Alan as a civilian more than as a Green Lantern. No other comic does that, which would make it unique.

Comment

I'm talking about a hard reboot here. That is, nothing from Hal's first appearance in Showcase on forward ever happened. Thus Guy wouldn't be a former GL. If DC wanted to use some of the former Corps members in other roles, then they could go to work on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                  ...Jessica Cruz? I forget/don't care...
                  Wasn't she the second one to reform as a GL? She strangely had dreadlocks, but it couldn't have been Jo because she never lost her powers and didn't change her costume style (you saw the angular looking costume at the end.

Comment

I appreciate that Thorne seems to have passion for John Stewart and wants to do things with him. That's nice after that uber long drought during the Geoff Johns period. But he blows chunks as a creative and his overly emotional aggressive personality makes him a bad "face" to put forward for the brand. At least Geoff Johns wasn't a public relations disaster the way this dude is. At least not during his time writing GL. There is all that Ray Fisher stuff, but that's heresy. We can actually see Geoffrey Thorne--and in my unfortunate experiences--actually experience him acting clownish.

Again, I continue to have very bad experiences with this guy. And it should be known I have never, ever sought to initiate discussion with him. He always manages to find and single me out.

I'm quite disappointed that he is likely to continue writing John Stewart and being associated with the GL brand.
                    Star-Lantern
                    Weaponer of Qward
                    Last edited by Star-Lantern; 04-14-2022, 08:17 PM.
                    ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                      I appreciate that Thorne seems to have passion for John Stewart and wants to do things with him. That's nice after that uber long drought during the Geoff Johns period. But he blows chunks as a creative and his overly emotional aggressive personality makes him a bad "face" to put forward for the brand. At least Geoff Johns wasn't a public relations disaster the way this dude is. At least not during his time writing GL. There is all that Ray Fisher stuff, but that's heresy. We can actually see Geoffrey Thorne--and in my unfortunate experiences--actually experience him acting clownish.

Again, I continue to have very bad experiences with this guy. And it should be known I have never, ever sought to initiate discussion with him. He always manages to find and single me out.

I'm quite disappointed that he is likely to continue writing John Stewart and being associated with the GL brand.
                      I saw his response today on CBR which I assume was to you. Very aggressive on his part and you'd think he'd handle things better with readers. And you're right, it underscores why he is not a good choice to be the person at the helm of this franchise. And now he's talking about how he wasn't defending himself but just telling you that you're opinions are wrong. He is a clown.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                        The thing of giving Green Lanterns other powers has flopped every time. And I'm not a fan of the Warrior powers. But the Gerard Jones and Beau Smith version of Guy has a personality that could sell as a supporting character with new powers. I'd give him and Jim Corrigan roles in Alan's comic, and Guy is the only Lantern I'd hold over in the reboot. But to be credible he'd have to give Battgod a bad and deserved beating.

Alan with his family, Derby and Ace, and with those two supporting players, would work. You should show Alan as a civilian more than as a Green Lantern. No other comic does that, which would make it unique.
                        If he can't be a GL again then I would rather Guy get his Warrior powers back. I don't want him to be playing the power ring equivalent of musical chairs again. He's clearly not allowed to outshine Hal and the Diversity crew so let him be Warrior again, bring back Veronna and Buck Wargo and the Monster Hunters and let him do his own thing again.

Comment

Originally posted by mrumsey View Post

I saw his response today on CBR which I assume was to you. Very aggressive on his part and you'd think he'd handle things better with readers. And you're right, it underscores why he is not a good choice to be the person at the helm of this franchise. And now he's talking about how he wasn't defending himself but just telling you that you're opinions are wrong. He is a clown.
                          I appreciate the words of support.

The interesting thing is that I am hardly the only person critical of his run. If one cares to look around where readers are actually discussing it (not people given free comics to make reviews, who want to keep getting free comics), the consensus is that the run is hot garbage. Maybe even the worst GL comics there are.

I think several of the people on CBR are kind to the run because Geoffrey Thorne is there, and admittedly, they seem to have more...grace (if you want to call it that) than I do, at least in this particular situation. Or they just like seeing John Stewart starring in a comic. Or they just don't say anything about it. And I'm sure there are also those who are just enjoying the comic.

For me, when I discuss the comics it isn't personal. It's just that I'm going to say what I think of the comics. That's the point of a discussion board. Thorne can be there or not as far as I'm concerned. And for DC as a company, I hope they would appreciate the honesty. There is some criticism that might come from a place of total ignorance, but mine is never that. It's just what I think of the comic. Why I like what I like. Why I don't like what I don't. I would hope they would appreciate such a decently informed and thorough examination, so they can perhaps get a better idea on why many people aren't digging this run and what they can do to course correct in the future.
                          Star-Lantern
                          Weaponer of Qward
                          Last edited by Star-Lantern; 04-14-2022, 10:06 PM.
                          ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMc View Post

If he can't be a GL again then I would rather Guy get his Warrior powers back. I don't want him to be playing the power ring equivalent of musical chairs again. He's clearly not allowed to outshine Hal and the Diversity crew so let him be Warrior again, bring back Veronna and Buck Wargo and the Monster Hunters and let him do his own thing again.
                            Guy starring in a comic as Warrior won't sell. I guarantee it. But he could be a very good supporting player. Same with Jim Corrigan.

You're worried about what powers Guy would have? Well, they'd have to be in keeping with the comic's tone. Green Lantern starring Alan was Gothic, and the stories were promoted as "weird." It was set in Gotham City too. The Spectre is already weird, so he'd just have to powered down to a reasonable level to fit in well. Guy's being all tatted up, shirtless and puling ICBMs out of his ass wouldn't work.

If you're doing a full start-over of JSA, and I think they should, Guy has much more personality than Ted Knight and would make a great Starman. DC seems hellbent to kill Knight anyway. Don't forget that Batman took on the role of Starman in the 1950s.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                              Guy starring in a comic as Warrior won't sell. I guarantee it. But he could be a very good supporting player. Same with Jim Corrigan...
                              I agree, but Guy could work in a limited run especially if you sell it as limited (i.e. issue 1 of 6, etc).

Comment

Working...
                              X