Isn't this Volume 8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't this Volume 8?

By my count, we had Vol 5 being New 52...

Vol 6 being the two series, Green Lanterns and Hal Jordan and the GLC

Vol 7 written by Morrison

Vol 8 being the latest (Thorne)

I think they treated GLs and HJatGLC as separate series, but it’s really not clear.

Comment

Originally posted by sundrop View Post

Vol 7 written by Morrison

)
      The Morrison run was a self-contained retro story, which is why it isn't counted as an official in-continuity run of GL.

Comment

And technically it was called The Green Lantern season 1 and season 2 (though they didn't seem to emphasize the season thing the second time around).

Comment

BTW: Comicvine does not recognize The Green Lantern; Green Lanterns; or Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps as part of the numbered volumes of Green Lantern (i.e., for them, GL has 5 volumes). I don't know what Overstreet has done because my last book from them is almost a decade old.

Comment

Originally posted by Emerald Enthusiast View Post

The Morrison run was a self-contained retro story, which is why it isn't counted as an official in-continuity run of GL.
            Oh it's definitely in continuity. It's just... sort of over here, on the side.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Oh it's definitely in continuity. It's just... sort of over here, on the side.
              Technically, with DC's omniverse concept, everything that's ever been attached to the company is part of the continuity, but The Green Lantern started in a completely different place for Hal and went from there, so I can understand why it's viewed as it's own event rather than an official volume.

Comment

I think if people want to view The Green Lantern as not being a volume of "Green Lantern" it's because it technically has a different title. I'm pretty sure the run is in regular canon, though. Doesn't Thorne reference the "cosmic grail"?
                ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Morrison was very clear in interviews that the title was separate. His argument was that it's referring to the actual lantern (aka the battery) as opposed to the hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                    I think if people want to view The Green Lantern as not being a volume of "Green Lantern" it's because it technically has a different title. I'm pretty sure the run is in regular canon, though. Doesn't Thorne reference the "cosmic grail"?
                    Yes, when Hal loses his ring, he lost the connection to the Cosmic Grail, so there's that tie-in. He also said that his new ring "felt like the one he got from Abin Sur." I liked the idea that Hal had fresh start with something that felt familiar.

Comment

I've come to count Morrisons body of GL work as a set of mini series, not ongoing series, so I dont count them as an official volume of the ongoing GL proper. "The" green lantern is 2 12 issue mini series with a 3 part mini series in between them.

Green LanternS and Hal Jordan and the GLC have different names.

I'm just going with Thorne's miserable flop of a title as GL volume 6 going forward. Possibly the last one since it was driven into the ground.

Comment

Is it the continuity of story that counts, or which comic was a showrunner titled "Green Lantern[s]" ?

"volume" AKA "comic run"

Morrison and Humphries et al, were writing "showrunners" for their time, which to me are volumes categorized linearly. It has nothing to do with the story itself.

Question: if the next comic run were to take place before Volume 2, in continuity, then would the volume numbers of 2+ have to be moved over and incremented?

Anyhow it's not a big deal, but for my own sake I'm labeling these volumes sequentially

Comment

It’s very subjective. I tend to take Overstreet as authoritative, but that’s not agreed upon everywhere in the industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                            It’s very subjective. I tend to take Overstreet as authoritative, but that’s not agreed upon everywhere in the industry.
                            I've never used Overstreet but MyComicShop categorizes this as volume 8 ... if that means anything

That's not why I'm labelling it that, they are just numbers on sticky notes on my comic boxes that I kept going with, heh

Comment

In this age of constant relaunching, I think it is better to simply use the year that the first issue was released to identify these volumes. For example, Green Lantern (1960) #1. In my opinion, the other way of doing it, while charming to think about and discuss, isn't relevant anymore for practical purposes. It's overly confusing and often even open for debate.
                              Star-Lantern
                              Weaponer of Qward
                              Last edited by Star-Lantern; 10-06-2022, 02:54 AM.
                              ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Working...
                              X