What to do with Alan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with Alan

When he arrives in the present from 1951, I'd like to see the Starheart fizzle out and him be recruited for the GLC, but kept pretty much in the JSA.

As some of you know, I've long considered the ring constructs to be overly silly and an impediment to marketing Green Lantern to a wider audience, despite the diehard attachment that some older fans have to them. An alternative to putting Alan in the GLC is to let him retain the Starheart ring and keep its ring constructs, while junking them for the other Earth Lanterns in a reboot.

Either approach -- putting Alan in the GLC without the ring constructs, or letting him keep with Starheart ring and the constructs -- is acceptable to me, although I would prefer the former. But in either case, the GLC Lanterns should lose them. If a handful of fanboys want to get mad, take their ball and go home because just Alan's using them isn't enough, then that's up to them.

LOL I love how overboard you go with some of your pitches. This Alan pitch though is like taking Superman's heat vision, ability to fly, and cape away from him and sticking him on the Global Guardians. And telling fans of Superman "This is Superman now, if you don't like it tough shit. I don't need your money."

The constructs at this point are as important to GL comics as speed is to Flash comics.

~//V\\~

Comment

You know I've got you on ignore, right? Anyway the ring constructs have always been done and are being done right now, and the comic isn't selling. They've had a long, long time to demonstrate their value in selling the property, and they haven't done so. So the burden of proof is on anyone who says they should be kept.

Alan can keep them. I'm OK with that. Elsewhere, something else needs to be tried.
      Trey Strain
      Guardian of the Universe
      Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-25-2017, 06:31 PM.

Comment

I'm on ignore but you keep replying anyway LOL

I'm all for Julius Schwartz'ing a few characters, but I don't think the constructs are the problem. It's multiple other Lanterns of various colors and making too many leading Earth Lanterns.

If I could reboot it [the GL concept] from the ground up I'd make it a dash more supernatural like Alan's classic adventures.

~//V\\~

Comment

Just ignore him, he knows his ideas are ridiculously stupid he's just trying to get reactions out of us

Comment

Oh, and something else. If the comics actually became less popular because you've scrapped the ring constructs -- which I guarantee you would not happen -- then you could just bring them the hell back! Remember, we're talking about a product in which dead characters are brought back to life all the time, as if that's completely normal.

So there's no downside to trying this.

Comment

Maybe I missed something, but why do you hate constructs again?

Comment

It's the defining power of GL's. IDK why anybody would wanna scrap that.

~//V\\~

Comment

I would make Alan Scott an alternate universe Green Lantern with little to no connection to the Green Lantern Corps, who crosses over with the "main" universe characters occasionally. Basically, I'd just make him like he was originally. He wasn't meant to have anything to do with the Corps, and I see no need to jerry-rig him into fitting into that spot. The most I'd do perhaps is say that maybe a Green Lantern Corps Power Ring and Battery somehow got lost in another universe and it went to him, then contrive some reason as to how and why he's able to tap into the Central Power Battery. Or maybe I'd have it to where the Guardians hid the Starheart in another universe (Alan's), and he gained access to it.

To me, that seems to be the cleanest, simplest approach that makes sense for the character. If you want to utilize the Jade character with someone like Kyle Rayner, you can always do some multiverse stuff to place her in the "main" universe.
                  ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

There's no reason not to try this. If it helps, then great. If it doesn't, then you undo it and it's forgotten.

Comment

There are plenty of reasons not to try any of these ideas. They are bad fanfic ideas that damage the mythos. Alan has a power source that's magical, not science, and it should always stay that way. It was bad enough DC put him in the same universe, he and the JSA should be from and on Earth 2.

And getting rid of the constructs for the GLC is so unbelievably bad I don't know where to start. Other than to add that this is why I don't waste my time reading fan fiction.

Comment

I like Alan, but I think it might be wise to give him a break. He's not an A-lister anymore. Earth 2 just finished. Let him be MIA for a while and bring him back when the fans are clamoring for him.
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 03-26-2017, 01:32 AM.

Comment

That E2 travesty wasn't Alan Scott or the JSA. It might as well have been from the Tangent universe it was such a distant cousin.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                            That E2 travesty wasn't Alan Scott or the JSA. It might as well have been from the Tangent universe it was such a distant cousin.
                            Well, it literally was an alternate earth.

Comment

Something else of long standing that I don't care for is Hal's love interest being a super-powered villain on the side. Like the ring constructs, it bears the odor of Silver Age campiness. You can have Star Sapphires, but Carol doesn't need to be one of them.

Getting back to Alan -- one of the best things about him was his children, but I suppose it's too much to hope that they'll make the trip with him from 1951.

Comment

Working...
                              X