Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any chance of an Alan Scott appearance in HJ&tGLC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any chance of an Alan Scott appearance in HJ&tGLC?

I was reading the Flash button issue with Jay Garrick and if there was going to be another visit from a JSA'er before the JSA is actually brought back the natural thought would be Alan. Gerard Jones did a wonderful job teasing an Alan return the last time the JSA was in purgatory. Where a ghost of Alan appeared to Hal, John and Guy. I wouldn't mind seeing a version of this happen again. For while not a member of the corps I loved the loose association between Alan and the Corps. The Hal/Alan team ups were a favorite event as a child, whether just the two of them or full fledged JSA/JLA team ups. Can't wait for the real Alan Scott returns hopefully with Jade and Obsidian in tow. That plus HJ&tGLC could use the sales boost bound to be generated by being closely tied into this Watchmen madness.

That's not a bad idea. Flash has been getting a lot of the spotlight the last few years in events, pretty much since the Green Lantern movie bombed. I would like to see Alan and Hal meet up again, and have Hal remember him by the end of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
      I was reading the Flash button issue with Jay Garrick and if there was going to be another visit from a JSA'er before the JSA is actually brought back the natural thought would be Alan. Gerard Jones did a wonderful job teasing an Alan return the last time the JSA was in purgatory. Where a ghost of Alan appeared to Hal, John and Guy. I wouldn't mind seeing a version of this happen again. For while not a member of the corps I loved the loose association between Alan and the Corps. The Hal/Alan team ups were a favorite event as a child, whether just the two of them or full fledged JSA/JLA team ups. Can't wait for the real Alan Scott returns hopefully with Jade and Obsidian in tow. That plus HJ&tGLC could use the sales boost bound to be generated by being closely tied into this Watchmen madness.
      I would love to see Jade and Obsidian back, after their having been sacrificed on the altar of political correctness so that Alan could be gay. But it wouldn't surprise me if Alan is still gay, and Jade and Obsidian are still sacrificed.

Comment

I don't think they will do that. The nU52 E2 Alan was a completely different guy. They can do away with that while the SJWs aren't looking.

Comment

It would be better if Hal and the four horsemen showed up in GLs, and the team-up happened there.

Despite their [Hal and Alan's] history, I think Kyle would be one to tether Alan back to the modern world. After all, he lived with dude's daughter and damn near had a kid with her. Alan was more of a mentor to Kyle than any actual GLC member....

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
            It would be better if Hal and the four horsemen showed up in GLs, and the team-up happened there...

Oh yeah. Hal Jordan and Rick Flair would be awesome together.

Despite their [Hal and Alan's] history, I think Kyle would be one to tether Alan back to the modern world. After all, he lived with dude's daughter and damn near had a kid with her. Alan was more of a mentor to Kyle than any actual GLC member...
            Yeah, I think Kyle's history is what suffers most by the New 52 erasing the real Alan.

Comment

If not Alan then I bet that at least Obsidian will be gay. Instead of, say, Alfred Pennyworth, who seems a far more logical and visible candidate for DC to make such a statement with.

I don't think Jade and Obsidian would get much camera time though even if they were brought back. Where would you put them? Certainly Alan isn't going to get an ongoing, not with Green Lantern in such poor shape, and Kyle isn't either.

I suppose DC could do the usual celebrating about bringing them back, but nothing much would happen after that.

Comment

You do know that Obsidian was gay already right?

Comment

Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
                  You do know that Obsidian was gay already right?
                  Yes I did. But this would be a new Obsidian, and that would not necessarily still apply. I think though they'll probably carry over with either Alan or Todd being gay. I think Green Lantern is the diversity corner of the DCU simply because it's much lower profile than Batman or Superman, and thus such experimentation there is of relatively lower risk.

Instead of that, they should make Alfred gay and let that be their statement. And give Baz and Cruz roles in the Bat books too. Batman should be the diversity corner of the DCU. It's much bigger and much better equipped for that.

Comment

I would think remaking Obsidian as straight at this point would be kind of the same as remaking Alan as gay. I mean, he was established as gay more than a decade ago (and hinted even before that, as I recall). To change that now, even in a "reboot" of the character seems like it would be equivalent to what was done with Alan Scott, only in the other direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                      Yes I did. But this would be a new Obsidian, and that would not necessarily still apply. I think though they'll probably carry over with either Alan or Todd being gay. I think Green Lantern is the diversity corner of the DCU simply because it's much lower profile than Batman or Superman, and thus such experimentation there is of relatively lower risk.

Instead of that, they should make Alfred gay and let that be their statement. And give Baz and Cruz roles in the Bat books too. Batman should be the diversity corner of the DCU. It's much bigger and much better equipped for that.
                      If you think the Bat universe ISN'T diverse, you don't read up on enough comics. Superman too. But since I already made a laundry list of the diversity present in the Bat-books in your other thread, I'll focus on Superman this go 'round.

Supergirl, Power Girl, and Superwoman fill the women roles, there's the black Earth 2 Superman, President Superman [also black] who starred in Multiversity ans is the leader of Justice Incarnate, there's the Chinese Super-man, a teenage Superboy AND a tween Superboy. Then there's Red Son [Russian] Superman, but he's dead now I think. Only gay character I can think of in the Superbooks would be Supergirl's adopted sister, but that's in her show. However... that series DOES have a comic of it's own as well.

The only people it made sense for Alan to team with were Hal and Kyle. Making a team-up between Alan and any of the others would feel WAY too forced.

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                        I would think remaking Obsidian as straight at this point would be kind of the same as remaking Alan as gay. I mean, he was established as gay more than a decade ago (and hinted even before that, as I recall). To change that now, even in a "reboot" of the character seems like it would be equivalent to what was done with Alan Scott, only in the other direction.
                        But... but.... it wasn't selling as it was! It's a fact! It needs changed! [/sarcasm]

LOL.

Obsidian is probably my favorite gay character in comics. Followed in no order by Midnighter, Sailor Neptune, Kate Spencer [Manhunter], and Grace Choi [from Outsiders]. The current version of the Ray MIGHT grow on me, but I don't know a single gay man who'd ever wear a helmet that ugly. Why it doesn't cover his whole head is beyond me.

~//V\\~

Comment

The question always to ask is, is this going to sell any comics? That's not a trivial question, especially given that it somehow often ends up as the lowest item on the to-do list.

Comment

It would be better if Hal and the four horsemen showed up in GLs, and the team-up happened there.

Despite their [Hal and Alan's] history, I think Kyle would be one to tether Alan back to the modern world. After all, he lived with dude's daughter and damn near had a kid with her. Alan was more of a mentor to Kyle than any actual GLC member....

~//V\\~
                            When I think of Alan Scott, I do not think of Kyle Rayner at all. I certainly remember their short lived teacher-student bromance in Kyle's run, but it was such a short blip on the radar that it holds no real meaning for me. I don't honestly think of ANY GLC related characters when I think of Alan Scott. He is pure Justice Society all the way.

Johnny Quick is the obvious lightning rod to help bring them back.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                              Johnny Quick is the obvious lightning rod to help bring them back.
                              Wait, I thought you didn't want them to come to the present.

Comment

Working...
                              X