10 Things GL Could Improve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ωmega Man View Post
    6.) Hal & Kyle - There is absolutely NO REASON that the two most popular GL's shouldn't be in the 'main' title.
    I think the main problem is that whoever writes the main GL title always ends up being someone who doesn't like Kyle (or resents him because he reminds them of the 11 years there was no Hal as GL), or likes John more. When Morrison was announced I had hope, since he seemed to love writing Kyle in the JLA book... alas, he was nowhere to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
      I think the main problem is that whoever writes the main GL title always ends up being someone who doesn't like Kyle (or resents him because they remind them of the 11 years there was no Hal as GL), or likes John more. When Morrison was announced I had hope, since he seemed to love writing Kyle in the JLA book... alas, he was nowhere to be seen.
      If I could wave a magic wand and make Kyle go away, I'd do that. But I don't think it's feasible. Still, the idea of getting rid of Kyle and keeping Baz and Cruz is way, way out there. Just fucked up.

Comment

How about actually using the characters people care about?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMc View Post
          How about actually using the characters people care about?
          They'd rather tell you who you should care about at this point than that.

Comment

Because that worked out so well for Marvel.

Comment

There's actually a term for that. It's called being product oriented rather than market oriented.

It's the difference between "here's what you should want" and "here's what you want."

Product orientation is exactly the wrong approach for a declining industry to take.

http://www.differencebetween.net/bus...t-orientation/

Comment

Hal's having a job and a supporting cast is "a fundamental part of the Green Lantern mythos." I seem to remember a couple of guys throwing that phrase at me constantly when I said that the ring constructs were best left in the era when the comic's readers were boys under 12, but I can't quite remember who those guys were.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                  Hal's having a job and a supporting cast is "a fundamental part of the Green Lantern mythos." I seem to remember a couple of guys throwing that phrase at me constantly when I said that the ring constructs were best left in the era when the comic's readers were boys under 12, but I can't quite remember who those guys were.
                  I'll bet you can.

And, no, I don't think his having a "day job" is a fundamental part of the Green Lantern mythos. Once upon a time, it was a standard part of ALL superhero comics, but it was never fundamental to the Green Lantern concept specifically.

The constructs, however, are a fundamental part of the concept, IMHO. But then, you knew that already, didn't you?

As to having a regular supporting cast, I don't know if I'd say it is fundamental to the concept, but I have to say I prefer it. Be they Earth-bound or fellow GLs, I find it interesting if the main character has at least some people that he interacts with, and builds various types of relationships with, on an ongoing basis. GL, and Hal especially, has been sorely missing that aspect for quite some time, and I'd be happy to see it come back.
                  Mister Ed
                  Horse of a Different Color
                  Last edited by Mister Ed; 11-20-2020, 10:31 PM.

Comment

If you guys like something, then it's "a fundamental part of the Green Lantern mythos" and can't be questioned. If you don't like it, then it's not.

That's how that trick works.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                      If you guys like something, then it's "a fundamental part of the Green Lantern mythos" and can't be questioned. If you don't like it, then it's not.

That's how that trick works.
                      Except I do like the supporting cast idea, yet still don't think it is a fundamental part of the GL mythos. So there goes that generalization out the window.

In fact, it would be trivially simple for me to list a large number of things I have enjoyed in GL that are not, IMHO, a fundamental part of the mythos. If you force me to, I will, but the one example above already serves to falsify your premise.

As a bonus, I'll also give you something that I do tend to think of as fundamental to the mythos, even though I very often don't like how it is handled, that being the charge limit on the ring. I mean, it seems like an important thing for a power that derives from technology to have some kind of limit, but the time limit version was always a bit of a headscratcher, and the gas tank version usually just means that the writer gets to toss in cheap dramatic tension about the ring running out of energy whenever they want, without having to figure out how long since the last charge.

I have to say the part where you say "If you don't like it, it's not" sure seems like a perfect description of you with regard to the constructs, though. Take a good look in the mirror.
                      Mister Ed
                      Horse of a Different Color
                      Last edited by Mister Ed; 11-21-2020, 12:06 AM.

Comment

^Yeah, I could see where we could be hypocritical, but as someone who thinks constructs are necessary, but Hal's day job is not, I feel I can justify it. Literally, the day job isn't fundamental because you can describe the premise without it.

Green Lanterns are space cops who use a ring powered by will that essentially do whatever they want. That's the fundamentals. What they do with their spare time can be added or taken without changing the foundation. But then again I'd admit that for the others. Clark doesn't have to be a reporter (in fact he occasionally hasn't been). However, I'd say that in the common understanding, more people would list that as a characteristic of him than would say Hal has to be a test pilot.

Comment

I would have said that having Clark Kent as a secret identity was fundamental to Superman, even if he wasn't always a reporter.

Apparently now that's not even a thing, though. I don't read Superman comics, so I don't know how jettisoning that bit of the mythology has effected it. It seems to have minimal significance in the places I encounter the character, usually in JLA stuff or events, where he's almost always Superman the whole time.

Comment

They're still talking about it in the main Superman titles; so, I guess that's big. They haven't done yet anything like Lois being kidnapped or anything.

Comment

Re the ring constructs, if DC ever comes to its senses and flushed that embarrassing stupidity, i'm sure a few people will wail with anguish, "I'll never read Green Lantern again!"

To which I'll respond, "Well... BYE!"

Comment

Could be. If so, it'll be a nice excuse for me to get out of comics and save some money to buy more movies.

However, DC also has a crime solving chimpanzee; a pre-teen with the powers of Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, and Mercury; and their flagship character owns a super-powered dog (their top seller even keeps a cow in his bat cave). I don't think they're too worried that one guy on the internet (and to this day you're the only one I know) who thinks constructs are the final straw.

Comment

Working...
                                X