No announcement yet.

WonderCon 2012 (Anaheim???)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have mixed feelings about this move. On one hand, it would be kind of nice to get away and go out of town for a bit, but that means taking time off from work plus travelling expenses. Even though Disneyland is a hop, skip and jump away from the convention center, the weather in March is typically cold and rainy, at least here in NoCal.

Comment

^ Were you planning on driving to Southern Cali?
      You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Not sure. Still thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by sylent_asassin View Post
          I have mixed feelings about this move. On one hand, it would be kind of nice to get away and go out of town for a bit, but that means taking time off from work plus travelling expenses. Even though Disneyland is a hop, skip and jump away from the convention center, the weather in March is typically cold and rainy, at least here in NoCal.
          Whenever I go to Disneyland during March, the weather is usually not that cold, sometimes even warm, and sometimes rainy.

" He who does not punish evil commands it to be done."-Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by projectile View Post
            Whenever I go to Disneyland during March, the weather is usually not that cold, sometimes even warm, and sometimes rainy.
            Here in NoCal, it's always rainy and cold during March. It rains during just about every WonderCon.

On the bright side, at least it's not on the same day as Wrestlemania again.

Comment

I'm not concerned about the weather. It's more about vacation time and funding. When WonderCon is in San Francisco, I don't have to worry about taking more than half-a-day from work off, and I don't have to worry about a hotel.

However, I've never been to the Anahiem Convention Center and so it would be nice to travel to some place new.

I wonder if WonderCon will sell out since in Anahiem and since SDCC is so hard to get passes now.
              You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

The first time I've been to the Anaheim convention center was when I went to the D23 Expo. I would say its not that big, it has three levels though. Theres not that many places around it(walking distance) compared to the SD convention center and gaslamp. Thats why when we ate lunch their was tons of people at the convention center eateries and the food court across toward the hotels.

I remember when there was talk about SDCC moving to Anaheim. After going to their convention center I now know it can't support sdcc. Their Arena(equivilant to Hall H) is not that big because they cut the capacity to half due to the stage set up.

Comment

^ Well, those are definitely reasons not to go; small venue and lack of eateries.

Comment

Heres the exhibit hall floor space

http://www.anaheimconventioncenter.c...icle.cfm?id=42

says its 813,607 square feet.

compared to sd convention center's
                    615,701 sq.ft. total exhibit space (http://www.visitsandiego.com/facilit...floorplans.cfm)

Although it has more feet, it didn't seem as big.

There are alot of meeting rooms on the second and third floor. Theres just not that much space around the convention center. Lines for outside could be a problem.
                    projectile
                    Sidekick
                    Last edited by projectile; 09-06-2011, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I would be interested to see if there's a Marvel presence at WonderCon. I mean, last year was the first time that Marvel had a booth at WonderCon in like 10 years. I'm pretty sure I'll purchase passes, just in case there are panels for The Avengers and The Dark Knight.

Comment

I just looked at the Anaheim Convention center upcoming events. During the Wondercon dates March 16-18, theres another event going on at the same time March 17-18. The United Spirit Association All Stars event, and its supposed to be held in Hall A of the exhibit hall and the Arena.

Comment

Actually Anaheim Convention Center is HUGE. It has 5 large halls that interconnect. Most smaller shows that are held there only use 1 hall at a time. They have both basement and upstairs levels, 7 nearby parking structures.

There are hotels by the ton (The Sheraton I think is right next door), and restaurants in every single one. Anaheim Gardenwalk is just down the street and has 20 major restaurants, plus lots of smaller ones.

Disney in March is awesome. Of course, I'm spoiled...I've been living in this area for 12 plus years. The weather for this should be nearly perfect. Light jacket weather in the evening, and sunny/sweet during the day.

In all honesty, I'm really surprised that it didn't go to Oakland instead of coming to Anaheim...

Comment

I don't think Oakland has a large convention center. Plus, Oakland doesn't have a wonderful reputation of being tourist friendly. I thought it might move to San Jose. Because it's in Anahiem, I wondering if Hollywood will have more of a presence.

Green Lantern had a huge presence at WonderCon last year.

Comment

Originally posted by BrieKalan2 View Post
                              Actually Anaheim Convention Center is HUGE. It has 5 large halls that interconnect. Most smaller shows that are held there only use 1 hall at a time. They have both basement and upstairs levels, 7 nearby parking structures.

There are hotels by the ton (The Sheraton I think is right next door), and restaurants in every single one. Anaheim Gardenwalk is just down the street and has 20 major restaurants, plus lots of smaller ones.

They have a basement? I didn't know that. How far is the Anaheim Gardenwalk? When I looked at the directory that was posted at the convention center, it looked like it was quite a bit of a walk to the restauarants. Thats why I ended up eating at the food court at the hotel across from the convention center...i believe it was either the hilton or the marriot.
                              projectile
                              Sidekick
                              Last edited by projectile; 09-06-2011, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I only found the basement last year by mistake while I was there for Wizard World Anaheim. I think its mostly offices, security, that kind of stuff.

Gardenwalk is about 3-4 blocks away. So its not a really long walk, but its not exactly right next door either. Im part of another group that does Wizard every year, and we always have a big group dinner at Bubba Gumps down the street.

If there's going to be a meetup at Wondercon, I know I'd be down for going if I can get away from other duties at Wondercon!

Comment

Working...
                                X