Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yo.

Originally posted by Emerald Sinner View Post
    Just wondering if anyone is planning on attending. This is going to be the first major Con that I have attended.
    protips for this con (Im from NYC & have attended this con b4):

1) bring yur own food. the concession stands AND the food court offering will be pretty expensive for wat they offer (a bottle of water will run upwards of $3 or more.) even the hotdog/pretzels stands outside nearby will be more expensive than others U'll find elsewhere in Manhattan, so just be aware & pack yur own grub (altho I dont think they allow ya to bring yur own drink, it cant hurt to pack a container anyways. worse than can happen is they make U drink it b4 U enter the convention floor proper.)

2) if U plan to buy yur tix for either Sat or Sun, do so ahead of time. U can ask Atrain about this: since this show has come back to Javitz, quite a few of'em have sold out for day-of tix by noon (usually on Sat, but sometimes on Sun too.)

3) Sun is a GREAT DAY for deals on merch, as some of the dealers come from out of state, and really want to move their wares so theres less to re-pack & ship. 1 can usually find great deals on tpb's, paperbacks and vid's, and sometimes they increase the number of books ya get for $0.50 discount bins. be careful of figurines & figures, as i have heard of sellers pricing UP to gouge more $$$ from ppl who dont know any better......

4) there will be PEOPLE. WALL TO WALL PEOPLE. some will look hot, some will be kewl, some will smell.....and there'll be some assholes. just a warning.

5) if yur into anime, theres usually a section for mostly that on the bottom floor; just be prepared for all of the cosplayer girls dressed as guys and in packs of 6 or more......if that small. they also tend to make alot of noise if ya get close.

5a) if yur into snapping pics, be on the look out for either the GhostBuster group, the Jedi cosplayers (sometime they put on mock battles in the parking lot) or the Storm Troopers.

6) some good fun can be had in the confrence rooms, like the Robot Chicken -interview panel, sometimes game developers promoting a new console or computer game (quite often they'll offer free beta keys to those who attend), comic writer/artists panels (those can be REAL eye-openers in how the industry works), movie previews for things that havent had their trailers officially released yet......... true story: 1 year that I attended, I ended up spending 3/4 of my time in those rooms, and I was their for more than 6 hours (I used to mainly go for the dealers tables, to fill-in the holes in various comic runs).

7) some events will be more popular than others, and if ya *really* want in ya *might* have to sacrifice going to something else (the Robot Chicken -panel from 2009 comes to mind; the room held 70 seat, and almost 200 ppl were on line.) so try to plan ahead, but be prepared to change-up on the fly....

good luck, have fun, and if U see a big, brown-skinned man trying to pull-off a 5-fingered discount in the any tpb bins, dont narc him out plz..........

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
    Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazer View Post
      Yo.

protips for this con (Im from NYC & have attended this con b4):

1) bring yur own food. the concession stands AND the food court offering will be pretty expensive for wat they offer (a bottle of water will run upwards of $3 or more.) even the hotdog/pretzels stands outside nearby will be more expensive than others U'll find elsewhere in Manhattan, so just be aware & pack yur own grub (altho I dont think they allow ya to bring yur own drink, it cant hurt to pack a container anyways. worse than can happen is they make U drink it b4 U enter the convention floor proper.)

2) if U plan to buy yur tix for either Sat or Sun, do so ahead of time. U can ask Atrain about this: since this show has come back to Javitz, quite a few of'em have sold out for day-of tix by noon (usually on Sat, but sometimes on Sun too.)

3) Sun is a GREAT DAY for deals on merch, as some of the dealers come from out of state, and really want to move their wares so theres less to re-pack & ship. 1 can usually find great deals on tpb's, paperbacks and vid's, and sometimes they increase the number of books ya get for $0.50 discount bins. be careful of figurines & figures, as i have heard of sellers pricing UP to gouge more $$$ from ppl who dont know any better......

4) there will be PEOPLE. WALL TO WALL PEOPLE. some will look hot, some will be kewl, some will smell.....and there'll be some assholes. just a warning.

5) if yur into anime, theres usually a section for mostly that on the bottom floor; just be prepared for all of the cosplayer girls dressed as guys and in packs of 6 or more......if that small. they also tend to make alot of noise if ya get close.

5a) if yur into snapping pics, be on the look out for either the GhostBuster group, the Jedi cosplayers (sometime they put on mock battles in the parking lot) or the Storm Troopers.

6) some good fun can be had in the confrence rooms, like the Robot Chicken -interview panel, sometimes game developers promoting a new console or computer game (quite often they'll offer free beta keys to those who attend), comic writer/artists panels (those can be REAL eye-openers in how the industry works), movie previews for things that havent had their trailers officially released yet......... true story: 1 year that I attended, I ended up spending 3/4 of my time in those rooms, and I was their for more than 6 hours (I used to mainly go for the dealers tables, to fill-in the holes in various comic runs).

7) some events will be more popular than others, and if ya *really* want in ya *might* have to sacrifice going to something else (the Robot Chicken -panel from 2009 comes to mind; the room held 70 seat, and almost 200 ppl were on line.) so try to plan ahead, but be prepared to change-up on the fly....

good luck, have fun, and if U see a big, brown-skinned man trying to pull-off a 5-fingered discount in the any tpb bins, dont narc him out plz..........

Tazer
      Thanks Tazer. I have already purchased the 3 day tickets. I have been to some smaller Cons and am aware to expect the smell of ass, taco bell, mountain dew emanating from some goers. I got your back though, no narc. lol

Comment

Yo.

Tazer
        If you see this man, make sure you take a snapshot of him and post it on the boards immediately for everyone to see.

Comment

Yo.

Originally posted by Emerald Sinner View Post
          Thanks Tazer. I have already purchased the 3 day tickets. I have been to some smaller Cons and am aware to expect the smell of ass, taco bell, mountain dew emanating from some goers. I got your back though, no narc. lol
          kewl beans, but be warned: this show is a diff beast altogether.

to paraphrase the song: "the freaks DONT ONLY come out at night".......

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
          If you see this man, make sure you take a snapshot of him and post it on the boards immediately for everyone to see.
          never gonna happen poozer: Ive acquired that Flash skill where I shake my head just enuff to leave blurry pics in fotographs. makes my neck hurt something fierce, but a guys gotta survive the digital age any way he can.......

Tazer

Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Yo.

kewl beans, but be warned: this show is a diff beast altogether.

to paraphrase the song: "the freaks DONT ONLY come out at night".......

never gonna happen poozer: Ive acquired that Flash skill where I shake my head just enuff to leave blurry pics in fotographs. makes my neck hurt something fierce, but a guys gotta survive the digital age any way he can.......

Tazer
            Hmm I kind of feel like blowing money on all the days just to try and get a picture of this rare and so called elusive beast...

Comment

Yo.

Tazer

Comment

Originally posted by Trigger View Post
                Hmm I kind of feel like blowing money on all the days just to try and get a picture of this rare and so called elusive beast...
                Beast! LMAO!!!

Comment

Yo.

'tis my lifes mantra.........

Tazer

Comment

Got my three day yippy!

Comment

Congrats dude!
                      I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.

Comment

Yep, congrats Godmera.
                        You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Legend of Korra Panel Announced

Date: Saturday, October 12
                          11:00 am - 12:00 pm

Location: Empire Stage 1-E Presented By: Arizona Beverages

Speakers: Bryan Konietzko, Joaquim Dos Santos

Description:
                          Book 2: Spirits - Nickelodeonís The Legend of Korra. Join Executive Producer Bryan Konietzko and Co-Executive Producer Joaquim Dos Santos as they pull back the curtain to reveal sneak peeks of whatís to come in Book 2: Spirits. Exclusive artwork, never-before-seen footage and a discussion with special guests from the incredible "The Legend of Korra voice cast" will be featured! Moderated by Bryan Konietzko.

Tracks:
                          Animation, Kids, TV
                          Who's with me?
                          (And what time do you think we'll need to get in line?)

Comment

Have fun East Coasters. I'll make it one of these years. Was almost this year, so I guess Im getting closer and closer

Comment

A little more than a week away but wanted to let my board homies and especially my NorCal buddies know I'm attending. So if there is a must have exclusive or item you want, let me know and I'll do my best to get. No risk for you because I'll front anything I can buy and trust you'll cover. You can PM me or post. Wish me a good time! You know I'm terrible with pixs, but I'll at least try to post a written accounting!

Comment

Originally posted by UltimateFighter View Post
                                A little more than a week away but wanted to let my board homies and especially my NorCal buddies know I'm attending. So if there is a must have exclusive or item you want, let me know and I'll do my best to get. No risk for you because I'll front anything I can buy and trust you'll cover. You can PM me or post. Wish me a good time! You know I'm terrible with pixs, but I'll at least try to post a written accounting!
                                No way! Hope you have a great time... and take pics for the sake of vicarious living, dammit!

Comment

Working...
                                X