This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravity

I found this movie to be very entertaining, especially in in IMax 3D. The opening sequence was like a 20 minute uncut shot, and if you watch it in 3D felt like one of those simulated roller coaster.

4/5
    You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Been curious about Gravity. When I watch the trailer, I can't keep myself from laughing at the fact that this movie seems to be about Sandra Bullock floating in space. Is it really just her floating in space for a hour and half or more? If they had gotten anyone else for the role, I might have felt differently about it.

I really like Alfonso Cuaran, as he made one of the best movies of the century thus far with Children of Men and directed the only Harry Potter movie I consider great - Prisoner of Azkaban.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

• Azkaban would have been good without that horrendous werewolf design. But that (and the huge portions from the book missing in the movie) ruined the film for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
          Been curious about Gravity. When I watch the trailer, I can't keep myself from laughing at the fact that this movie seems to be about Sandra Bullock floating in space. Is it really just her floating in space for a hour and half or more? If they had gotten anyone else for the role, I might have felt differently about it.
          Yup, it's pretty much 90 minutes of Sandra Bullock floating in space. However, it's a story about survival/adventure in an environment without gravity and limited amount of oxygen.

Believe me, I didn't like Sandra Bullock much after my experience running into her at this year's SDCC, but I still enjoyed the movie. The movie starts off slow but then the shit hits the fan and from there on, it's just on struggle after another.

I watched some reviews that describe the movie as a metaphor for Sandra Bullock's character, who's young daughter died and Bullock has been just floating through life. But after this experience, she goes through a rebirth and chooses life. Other's even go deeper and describe the movie ending as a metaphor of human evolution.
          You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• You got to meet Sandra Bullock?!!!!?!??
            Lucky

Comment

• Wait, what bad experience at SDCC?

Comment

• Morituri (1965)

"Heil Cannibals."

A pretty good movie where Brando plays a German refugee blackmailed by the Allies to take over a shipment of rubber and stuff.

Lost Boys: The Tribe (2008)

"A lot of valuable information can be gained from reading comic books."

Van Helsing (2004)

"I would rather die than help you.
                Oh, don't be boring, everybody who says that dies."

Hadn't seen this in a while, so I thought I'd try to watch it again and look on the bright side, which was probably good looking monsters (especially the brides' first attack) and a pretty decent performance of Dracula (maybe could've been dialed back a tad, but fun nonetheless).

Game of Death (2010)

Enjoyable though not particularly original or unpredictable. The final fight is decent.

Gravity (2013)

"I hate space."
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 10-23-2013, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• Maniac

I found this to be pretty good. Really kept myself spoiler free on the film, and was aware of it being a remake of a 1980 film, to which I still haven't seen, but overall, I thought the film was pretty effective in it's conveying the life of a serial killer thru the use of using POV shots for nearly the entire film, as well as the film itself having a raw/gritty style, along with the music choices. Which, atleast to me, definitely had a 80's-like vibe to them. The use of 'Goodbye Horses' was fun, and since I'm a old school horror fan, I thought it was pretty cool that 'The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari' was shown as well. The film is not light on the gore either, as the scalpings ... are brutal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                      Gravity

I found this movie to be very entertaining, especially in in IMax 3D. The opening sequence was like a 20 minute uncut shot, and if you watch it in 3D felt like one of those simulated roller coaster.

4/5
                      I've seen Gravity last week (alas only in 2D because both my GF and I wear glasses) and it's a great rollercoaster ride indeed.
                      I've read somewhere the movie has only about 200 shots or something but they really cheated on that because all scenes in space (except the ones in the space stations / soyous) were 100% CGI with only the actors faces being pasted in.

Comment

• Slither (2006)

"Wally: I'm surprised you're able to lift a mug, you've been carrying that torch for so long.
                        Pardy: Oh, that reminds me. There's something I wanted to tell you.
                        Wally: What's that?
                        Pardy: F**k you, fat**s."

Comment

• One of my favorite horror movies from the past decade. Directed by James Gunn, the director for Guardians of the Galaxy. 100% guaranteed awesomeness!

"Lyme disease. You touch some deer feces, and then you... eat a sandwich without washin' your hands. You got your lyme disease!"

Comment

• Dead Space: Downfall (2008)

"Dobbs: There's a lot of blood in this room, but no bodies.
                            Shen: Sounds like one of your parties.
                            Dobbs: Or your sex life!"

Since this was about to expire and someone here (I think Frank Castle?) recommended it, I watched it. I've never played the game (I assume the last 30 seconds are where it picks up), but it was a decent zombie movie in space.

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
                            One of my favorite horror movies from the past decade. Directed by James Gunn, the director for Guardians of the Galaxy. 100% guaranteed awesomeness!

"Lyme disease. You touch some deer feces, and then you... eat a sandwich without washin' your hands. You got your lyme disease!"
                            I could see that. It's a fun movie. Have you ever seen Night of the Creeps? Some people have claimed Slither is a rip-off of that (which is about alien slugs that take people over) but the writer denied having even seen it. Doesn't matter to me, I like both.
                            Space Cop
                            The Dandy
                            Last edited by Space Cop; 10-24-2013, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• Sounds somewhat similar, but Slither is more about a communal parasite feeding on people and using some as zombie hosts as well. They are both alien slugs that enter people through the mouth though.

Have to watch this one. Dekker directed Monster Squad, so I'm sure Night of the Creeps is filled with campy fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                                Since this was about to expire and someone here (I think Frank Castle?) recommended it, I watched it. I've never played the game (I assume the last 30 seconds are where it picks up), but it was a decent zombie movie in space.

I could see that. It's a fun movie. Have you ever seen Night of the Creeps? Some people have claimed Slither is a rip-off of that (which is about alien slugs that take people over) but the writer denied having even seen it. Doesn't matter to me, I like both.
                                Yeah I think it was one of the films I told Doom to watch, and yes the last bit is where the first game picks up. I know you're not much of a gamer, but Dead Space 1 would certainly find it's way into my top 10 horror games of all time, if you ever do feel like playing a horror game, you can't go wrong with that.

I thought Night of the Creeps was alright. Good 80s horror, and yeah it is campy, so JV you will enjoy it.

Watched this the other night;

Michael Bay some how made this. Such a shame he showed so much promise. This is one Bay movie I can't diss. The 90s really does have the best decade for action movies.

THE MEN CALLED STING

Comment

Working...
                                X