X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolly Dearest (1991)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
      Finally saw The Hobbit. I enjoyed it, but still feel it would have been better as two movies without all the extra padding. I thought the addition of the antagonist for Thorin was a bad idea, too. It's a distraction, and really adds nothing to the story the movie SHOULD be telling, of the quest to retake the Lonely Mountain. And, unlike the bits dealing with the Necromancer (which I also feel are a distraction from the main story, and which were, IMHO, very poorly integrated into the flow of the film) which were at least addressed in some form by Tolkien elsewhere, the Azog subplot is created from whole cloth (such a character exists in Tolkien's writings, but he WAS long dead by the time of the Hobbit, beheaded in the battle shown in flashback in the movie, and not even by Thorin).
      I have yet to see this film. I wanted to see in HFR, but I don't think it's playing in that format anymore near my neighborhood.

Originally posted by W.West View Post

Movie 43 - Had some funny moments, but some really boring ones. Especially the one after the credits with Elizabeth Banks, who I love. I'd rather watch Valentines Day and New Year's Eve anyday.
      Yeah, it looks like a rental for me.
      You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Originally posted by Maverick_GL View Post
        True Romance. I"ve had this movie for years but never watched it. What a fool I was. Great movie, lots of fun. Gary Oldman played a wicked character, I"ve been trying to mimic his voice ever since :P

Hellooooo, baaaaaby...

Comment

• The Raven (2012)

Also, watched both of these again with commentary by Ted Newsom and David DeCoteau

Space Cop
          The Dandy
          Last edited by Space Cop; 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• MST3K: Creeping Terror

"Did they not know how to run in the 50s?"

(A Fathom event at the local AMC): Rifftrax Live (from Nashville)
            Plan 9 From Outer Space (1959/2013)

"Maybe they should've gone with plan 10."
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 02-01-2013, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Cabin in the Woods (2011)

"Oh god, am I on speakerphone?"

A group of five friends goes to a cabin out in the woods that's secretly run by a group of people who set up horrifying traps to kill said friends...by the friends' own choices. If the friends read a diary, then a zombie family kills them; blow a conch, get killed by mermen; etc. There are numerous sites like that all over the world, each made to kill people as a necessary sacrifice to ancient evil gods so the world doesn't end.

The makeup and effects were actually rather good, and you see a huge variety of monsters as the film goes on.

Probably the most interesting thing is that the intro gives away the plot with the still images. It's like the filmmakers were taunting the viewers.

Overall, a good film. And Chris Hemsworth is in it.
              Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Comment

• Chronicle- This was good on the second viewing, but killing Smash off-camera and then cutting to his funeral was weaksauce.

Comment

• Comment

• MST3K: Outlaw (of Gor)

Comment

• Luv - Common is just bad. He's never been even decent in any role. Here, in a role with a chance to show his skills and he completely bombed. Can't believe this movie cost me $7.50. Oh, and bad ending.

Comment

• :Moderator:

Went and saw this with my dad last night (a Christmas present to him). I quite enjoyed it, not as dark as LotR (yet) and some good visuals. Fun movie, didn't feel like 3 hours at all. Gollum was the highlight of the movie for me, and the Brown Wizard.

The only thing I didn't care for was the 3D. It's annoying having birds and rocks fly at my face, and 3 hours with those glasses is hard on the eyes.
                          Maverick_GL
                          Last edited by Maverick_GL; 02-02-2013, 02:46 AM.
                          sigpic
                          Winner: Reality TV draft 2014

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Comment

• Strangler of the Swamp (1946)

"Leave vengeance to the Almighty."

A wrongfully-hung man's ghost kills the people who wronged him, but his granddaughter comes back home and falls for the son of his enemy.

Very short, even for its time (clocking in at a whopping 59 minutes long), and the blur effect for the ghost grows tiresome fast (especially when it distorts the screen more than is strictly necessary), but it's an otherwise good old film.

Highly recommend.
                            Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Flying Saucers over Hollywood (1994)

A fairly decent documentary at the making of and cultural impact of Plan 9 from Outer Space. Include Sam Raimi and Joe Dante (both big Wood fans). Besides the film, it includes some bios on Wood, Vampira, Tor Johnson and others.

Hot Ice (1978)
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 02-03-2013, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• The first two of our films of the evening commemorating Boris Karloff on the 44th anniversary of his death:

Comment

Working...
                                X