X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godzilla: Tokyo SOS (2003)

"I am not crazy for cannons!"

Originally posted by MP-05 View Post
    I more or less agree with both of you. It depends on the level of quality being administered to both methods. The original Jurassic Park was a milestone and can still stand up to the best of what today's films have to offer...
    I agree with the JP love and yet they also had that awesome full-size T-Rex from Stan Winston at the time, so it was a great example of not feeling that it had to be all one or the other.

Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 07-04-2016, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015)

Comment

• Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)

"Don't tell me; you're from outer space?
        -No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

Brick Mansions (2014)

"Sometimes you don't gotta be a rocket scientist. You just gotta have a rocket."
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 07-06-2016, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• Do you know the muffin man...

Comment

• Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)

"Perhaps 'because it is there' is not sufficient reason for climbing a mountain."

War of the Gargantuas (1966)

"We're going to electrify the lake and burn down the forest with napalm."

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

"I don't know karate. But I know crazy."

Comment

• "What does God need with a starship?"

Comment

• A Mighty Wind (2003)

"I came to a realization that I was and am a blonde, female folk singer trapped in the body of a bald, male folk singer and I had to LET ME OUT or I WOULD DIE.
                -When you put it that way, it's almost poetry.
                -Almost."

Originally posted by MP-05 View Post
                "What does God need with a starship?"
                I thought about that quote too. Despite the overall quality and rep, there's a lot of good dialogue in #5.

Comment

• It's like the only scene I can remember from that film aside from the "row row row your boat" disaster. LOL

Comment

• Ip Man: The Final Fight (2013)

"One's attitude should be like a coin; square on the inside while smooth on the edges."

The Beatles: Help! (1965)

"What was it that first attracted you to me?
                    -Well, you're very polite, aren't you?"

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)

"There is an old Vulcan proverb: only Nixon could go to China."
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 07-08-2016, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• I'm guessing that's a fourth Ip Man film, and not the third starring Mike Tyson?
                      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)

"The world is ruined, and the war is already lost. Now it's a matter of pride. We either die hiding or die fighting."

Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013)

"Enough with the metaphors; that's an order."

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                        I'm guessing that's a fourth Ip Man film, and not the third starring Mike Tyson?
                        It came out before #3 (which was just this past year). There's a prequel one and then this is set in the 50s and 60s during his Hong Kong years. I'm not sure if those two movies are even related to the others (production-wise) or not.
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 07-09-2016, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• Everest (2015)

Anatoli Boukreev: "We don't need competition between people. There is competition between every person and this mountain. The last word always belongs to the mountain."

Depicting the real-life 1996 expedition of several climbing teams to the summit of Mt. Everest, not all of whom lived to tell the tale.

This is a very, very good film. Looking at the time stamp, it clocks in at 121 minutes, but that doesn't get across that every minute is really worth it. You get to see some truly stunning visuals, not just how majestic a mountain can be, but what the climbing culture is like, both in its courage and its danger.

Naturally, there is a scene where some of the characters are asked why they are doing this climb, and they give some very good and interesting answers. There is the "standard" response by Yasuko Namba, who climbed six of the seven peaks in the world and is finishing the list, but the answer given by Doug Hansen is perhaps the best, second only to Beck Weathers.

The film does show a bit of what has happened to the people since, but only a cursory glance, and really that's for the best. It gives a silver lining to a dark cloud (though admittedly the viewer knows the cloud is dark to begin with, because climbing mountains is not to be taken lightly, which is why I chose Anatoli's quote over a number of other good ones).

This film did not do so well in theaters, but I really do think it worth checking out. Hopefully its popularity and wisdom spreads better in the aftermarket.

Highly recommend.
                          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Comment

• Rodan (1956)

"I realize now, that by the narrowest of margins, man had proved himself the stronger. but will it always be so? may not other and more terrible monsters even now be stirring in the darkness? and when, at last, they spring upon us, can we be certain we can beat them back a second time?"

Deep Blue Sea (1999)

"Beneath this glassy surface, a world of gliding monsters!"

Frankenstein Conquers the World (1965)

"We might learn how to process or grow any part of the human body.
                              -Please don't joke with me."

Daimajin (1966)

"I'm not a superstitious man."

Major League (1989)

"You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"

The Green Berets (1968)

"How come you like blowing things up so much?"

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                              [Tarzan]
                              How was this? The critics sound lukewarm.
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 07-21-2016, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• I finally saw Civil War this weekend. Great movie. I do kind of wish I had reviewed some of the previous movies before I went, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X