Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964)

"Balderdash and fiddle dee dee!"
    Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 12-22-2016, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
      Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964)

"Balderdash and fiddle dee dee!"
      Just watched this last night. The best part was when they were attacked by the fakest looking Polar Bear ever.

Comment

• First Blood (1982)

"Let it go."

[Believe it or not, this movie has a (slight) Christmas connection. The town (Hope, WA) that Rambo goes to (particularly the PD) is decorated for Christmas.]

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
        Just watched this last night. The best part was when they were attacked by the fakest looking Polar Bear ever.

I keep waiting for the kids to say "that was close. That guy in the bad bear suit almost touched us!"
        Did you watch it regular or Mystery Scienced? MST3K introduced me to this movie, but by the time I got to the bear scene on my first viewing, I said to the person I was watching it with "I'm going to own this movie without the riffs."
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 12-24-2016, 01:41 AM.

Comment

• Noah (2014)

Comment

• Elf (2003)

"A lot of people down south don't believe in Santa Claus.
            -What?! Well, who do they think puts all their toys under the tree?
            Well, there's a rumor floating around that, uh, that the parents do it.
            -That's ridiculous. I mean, parents couldn't do that all in one night. What about Santa's cookies? I suppose parents eat them, too?"
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 12-24-2016, 01:41 AM.

Comment

• Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)

"May the best man win."

Two con artists in the Riviera agree to a bet: the first to land a small fortune of a target stays and the loser must leave town for good. Of course, their attempts at victory produce hilarious screw-the-other-guy moments.

I heard good things about this from the chef at work, so I decided to finally check it out. My mother was shocked I'd never seen it, and my dad's seen it probably a couple times over the decades, but this was my first and I enjoyed it. Seeing all the creative ways Steve Martin and Micheal Caine employ in order to fleece money from their marks, how they try and foil each other, it was deeply amusing (especially Martin pretending to roll down the stairs to the beach and the entire series of Marine-related shenanigans).

The location was a treat, some great shots of a coastal paradise town (and Caine's mansion is a stunner, I admit to being a tad jealous).

And seeing Martin in a skimpy swimsuit made me and my dad chuckle, he's so wrong for it.

Highly recommend.
              Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Batman Returns (1992)

"Merry Christmas, Alfred. Good will toward men . . . and women."

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988) . . . My mother was shocked I'd never seen it, and my dad's seen it probably a couple times over the decades, but this was my first and I enjoyed it. . .
                I was more ""shocked" you hadn't seen Butch and Sundance, but hey, no one can watch all the movies people call classics. I remember liking DRS. I don't think I've seen i since the 90s; I need to re-watch it some day.
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 12-25-2016, 04:22 AM.

Comment

• Whiplash (2014)

Comment

• Scrooge [aka A Christmas Carol] (1951)

"God bless us, everyone."

My favorite adaptation of Dickens' classic and probably only second to It's a Wonderful Life for favorite Christmas movie.
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 12-25-2016, 04:21 AM.

Comment

• Seventh Son (2014)

Comment

• Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984)

"Christmas Eve is the scariest damn night of the year!"

I love this movie more than I probably should.

Comment

• Someone needs to tell Depp and Burton to remake that.

They'll do it because Depp's a careless clown and Burton does whatever he wants.
                          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015)

Comment

• Real Life (1979)

"I don't remember a time in my whole life when I haven't been close to complete personality disintegration!"

This was Albert Brooks' directorial debut; a mocumentary (apparently spoofing the first reality TV show from the 70s called An American Family) where Brooks more or less plays himself trying to make a movie just covering a year of an average American family. Of course, things fall apart. Not his best, but pretty good and still showing his trademark humor (I personally think his work is underrated).

Shark (1969)

"I'm not that greedy."

The story of this Sam Fuller flick (how it got made, edited, and eventually distributed) is wacky, but I'll let anyone interested look that up themselves. At any rate, it's a decent cheap actioner and would have pre-dated Jaws as a film with a major shark threat (though it's not the whole story here). Also features a pre-Bandit Reynolds. I didn't love it, but there are some interesting things here, many of which would not fly now (and only did then because they shot third world).

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                              Someone needs to tell Depp and Burton to remake that.

They'll do it because Depp's a careless clown and Burton does whatever he wants.
                              Well, I'd watch it and probably like it, but it would lose the charm of the original because Burton would do it tongue-in-cheek.
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 12-27-2016, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Bridge Of Spies (2015)

Comment

Working...
                                X