• Show
Clear All

• The Curse (1987)

"Nathan, what is wrong with your chickens?"

Curse 2: The Bite (1989)

"It's not your fault."

Curse III: Blood Sacrifice (1991)

"I've seen things that can't be explained by modern science."

[Curse IV: The Ultimate Sacrifice] Catacombs (1988)

"I am a servant of God and a tormentor of the Devil.
    -Big deal."

[Reviews in horror thread.]

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
    I should watch it again. That scene is hilarious.
    There's a bunch of great riffs here. The movie (which I had seen before they did it as an episode) is rife for it with the bad effects, lousy editing, and European actors trying to pass as Arizonans.

Zoolander (2001)...
    The recent sequel wasn't bad. It wasn't as funny, but there were some pretty good bits.
    Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 06-19-2017, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• Zoolander (2001)

"It's Hansel! He's so hot right now!"

God, it's been so long since I've seen this. Still one of the best I've probably ever watched. Loaded with stars and witticisms, plenty of tropes about the modeling industry.

I remember several years ago, I was shopping at a tabletop gaming store, and the wife of one staffer liked to make and sell buttons with funny comments on them. I bought a different one, but I did get a kick out of one that said "Once again a harmless gasoline fight ends in pointless tragedy."

Had no idea Trump had a brief cameo in the beginning.
      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders (2016)

"You wanna get nuts? Let's get nuts."

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964)

"I like mine in paste form."

West's character is wiped out fairly early on in this, but I wanted to see it again and it's a fun one.

Batman: The Movie (1966)

"They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings."

R.I.P., Mr. West.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 06-13-2017, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• I finally saw 12 Monkeys. I enjoyed it, even though I feel no need to see it again.

Comment

• Phantasm [V]: Ravager (2016)

"Well, it really is an amazing story.
            -Epic, actually."

King Kong Escapes (1966)

"He's had enough of what we call civilization."

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
            I finally saw 12 Monkeys. I enjoyed it, even though I feel no need to see it again.
            No joke; I've been wanting to see that again. But I haven't seen it since it was new-ish so I forget a lot of the details. I would agree that it's not necessarily the kind of movie you'd want to watch every year or anything.
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 06-15-2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
              Batman: The Movie (1966)
              Just got the notification earlier that my order of the Blu-ray for this shipped today. Hopefully it'll be in soon and I can watch it again, it's been so long. Of course, now I need the complete '66 series in Blu-ray to have a proper collection.

Comment

• Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (2007)

"Let's go drop acid with The Beatles."

Godfather: Part III (1990)

"Politics and crime—they're the same thing."

You Only Live Twice (1967)

"For a European, you are exceptionally cultivated."

It's the 50th anniversary of this film that I seem to enjoy more highly than most Bond fans (likely because of all the Japanese stuff).

Just got the notification earlier that my order of the Blu-ray for this shipped today. Hopefully it'll be in soon and I can watch it again, it's been so long. Of course, now I need the complete '66 series in Blu-ray to have a proper collection.
                It's a nice set. It looks and sounds beautiful on blu-ray. My only complaint is that they didn't do commentaries (actually the special features are pretty limited for a series box set, imho, but there are some). I had heard rumors years ago, before Fox and WB struck a deal to re-release the series and rights to it, that West and Ward had started recording commentaries in anticipation of it, but I guess those were (sadly) false rumors. At least there is a commentary track for the movie (plus a cool feature on the making of the batmobile).
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 06-17-2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Well that's disappointing to hear. I'll definitely have to check out the commentary.

Comment

• Devil Story (1985)

"Use you rifle on it.
                    -It's a shotgun, lady!"

Gore-met: Zombie Chef from Hell (1986)

"Don't go in there, devil himself lives in there. You'll never come out alive.
                    -Don't listen to him Stella. I make deliveries here; it's fine food.
                    Are you sure? It looks a little evil in there."

Ghost World (2001)

"Everyone's too stupid!"
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 06-18-2017, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• The Monster (1994)

"Madam, don't leave me alone with this chain saw from hell!"

Loris, a cheapskate who keeps dodging his landlord and committing petty thefts to get by, is mistaken by police as a brutal serial sex murderer. A female officer goes undercover to expose him, but as the sting continues, things become increasingly bizarre.

This was highly recommended to me by the clerk at my comic store, who is a big Roberto Benigni fan (guy who made/starred in Life is Beautiful; he stars as protagonist Loris here). Since Netflix only has it for "saving" and I don't belong to a library, the clerk very generously loaned it from his library and let me borrow it.

I have to say it's a hoot. Benigni plays Loris as if Larry Fine was Italian, I kid you not. This guy is a total charlatan, screwing with the minds of anyone who tries to buy his apartment from the landlord so he won't be evicted, stuffing stolen items into random shoppers' pockets to cover his own thefts, and all sorts of other things just to avoid paying anyone a penny (he is apparently dead broke, but he's too cheap to admit it).

Benigni is also a very competent filmmaker, using a Chekhov's gun approach to many items and moments. Loris is told to set up a dummy with a chainsaw? He accidentally terrifies Luciana Pieri Palombi (who looks a lot like Betty White circa The Golden Girls). Jessica (Nicoletta Braschi) describes how easily a dress comes off? We see a hilariously embarrassing moment in which it does.

All of this bungling only serves to infuriate the police chief (who looks close to either Jim Cramer from Mad Money, or Ben Kingsley), while the psychiatrist (Michel Blanc, resembling Terry Bradshaw of NFL fame) is convinced more and more that Benigni is guilty as all hell and about to snap again. The lengths to which these two insist Braschi go to expose Benigni as the killer will make your eyes pop.

There's also this amusing running joke involving Massimo Girotti spotting Benigni trying to avoid paying his bills, in which Benigni crouch-walks everywhere and it keeps coming up. For more knowledgeable fans (or people who check online), Benigni and Braschi's joint use of the gag has a double meaning since they were really married. (Just my opinion, but Girotti sort of resembles Secretary of State Rex Tillerson).

And dear god, the dinner party scene is to die for.

Overall this is a brilliant and charming film. It's a cross between The Three Stooges, Clue and pretty much any police drama you can think of. At some point I'm going to have to buy a copy for myself.

Very highly recommend.

Comment

• Godzilla against Mechgodzilla (2002)

"You seem to have a lot of older fans. Are you giving off some kind of pheromone?"

More prep for G-Fest next month. In this case, the lady who scored the film and the guy who did the special effects will be in Chicago.

The Deadly Spawn (1983)

"What is with the basement this morning?"
                        The Monster (1994)...
                        I might have actually seen this when it was new, but I don't remember. My Italian teacher really liked Benigni and had us watch a recent film of his when I was in Italian (in 1995). I don't remember it well though. I'm guessing (can't recall for sure) that he made us watch it without subtitles, so I would've missed a lot. Have to track it down some day.
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 06-18-2017, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• You really should, because the film is a riot. Benigni is something else.

Comment

• The Chilling (1989)

"Die you green bag of snot!"

Nation Lampoon's Animal House (1978)

"They confiscated everything, even the stuff we didn't steal."

R.I.P., Mr. Furst.
                            Space Cop
                            The Dandy
                            Last edited by Space Cop; 06-19-2017, 03:19 AM.

Comment

• Batman: The Movie (1966)

"A sparrow with a machine gun!"

Been a long time since I watched this, and even though my dad never liked West's version, I sat down today and watched it with him. He fell asleep a few times (regular Sunday naps, and this was right after lunch), I just kept watching.

This really makes me want to watch all the old episodes, but that would take a while and I'm busy as hell right now. I do find the massively tongue-in-cheek nature to be fun and a good form of escapism with all its outrageous nonsense, and I really love the restoration the Blu-ray has (picture quality is better than ever, and it's appreciated).

Sad as hell that West is gone, but he'll be fondly remembered.

Comment

• The Ruins (2008)

"This doesn't happen! Four Americans on a vacation don't just disappear!"

Blood Beach (1980)

"No sense of humor around here. That's what's the matter with this world."

The Beatles: Eight Days a Week: The Touring Years (2016)

"They are without precedent."

Working my way up to some big Beatles anniversaries in a few weeks, but today is also Sir Paul McCartney's 75th birthday. Hadn't seen this documentary from Ron Howard until now, but I loved it. The bit about how they forced integration at the Gator Bowl was great.
                                Space Cop
                                The Dandy
                                Last edited by Space Cop; 06-26-2017, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X