This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post

When will you be able to give us the title?
    Both of them are adaptations of old novels that are in the public domain. That's all I can tell you now.

Comment

• Baywatch (2017)

"Everything that you guys are talking about sounds like a really entertaining but far-fetched TV show."

Thirteen Ghosts (2001)

"I told them not to leave this spot.
      -They're kids. What do you expect?
      Yeah, well, thank you, Dr. Phil."
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 11-30-2017, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• My review.

https://dailyuv.com/feed/932590?location=norwich-vt

Comment

• Ong-Bak 3 (2011)

"I have come from emptiness. I shall return to emptiness."

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

"The suspense is terrible. I hope it'll last."
          Space Cop
          The Dandy
          Last edited by Space Cop; 11-24-2017, 02:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
            I thought that movie was about the building of Disney World. "The Florida Project" was the code name Walt gave it during the years he was keeping it a secret.

Comment

• Valhalla Rising (2009)

"We are more than flesh and blood. More than revenge."

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945)

"Look, God invented time and when He invents something, there's always plenty of it."

Psycho IV: The Beginning (1990)

"All that faith and no potatoes."

The Shining (1980)

"You've always been the caretaker. I should know sir. I've always been here."

I wanted to watch this again after reading the book (and watching the much closer-to-the-book mini-series). It's very different, but I'd have to say the same thing I'd say about Bladerunner---the book was very good, but the film is a masterpiece.
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 11-27-2017, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• The Magnificent Seven (2016)

"I always wanted to blow something up."

A ruthless gold-mining tycoon is brutalizing a small town, which is forced to hire Denzel Muthafukkin' Washington (and a number of other notable Hollywood Toughs) to take out the trash.

Gotta say this was a very good remake, anybody who is/was worried about its quality can stop fretting.

You get some great location shots, the costumes are period-appropriate, dudes spit in the street like it's the national pastime, and the gunfights are very, very solid.

Denzel is a great stand-in for Yul's character, Pratt doing a good job of replacing McQueen, Hawke being a fantastic cover for Vaughn, and holy shit was Vincent D'Onofrio amazing in this (epic ending for him, too). Really, everybody did a good job (Martin Sensmeier was good as the Comanche, was a very nice twist on things, and his duel was worthy of respect).

The villain, Bogue, also lives up to his bandit-lord's impression. The damn DVD skipped at a critical early part, so me and my dad had to wait until the heroes arrived in town for us to see just what unspeakable act came from the church scene. Yeah, it was a very big surprise.

Overall a successful alternate version of a legendary story, and proof that remakes are not always garbage.

Highly recommend.
                Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• An Innocent Man (1989)

"Don't be talkin' out the side of your neck while I'm trying to do you a solid."

Casablanca (1942)

"Round up the usual suspects."

Beetlejuice (1988)

"Please, they're dead. It's a little late to be neurotic."

The Ninth Configuration (1980)

"Take me to the beach.
                  -It's night, and it's raining.
                  I see you're determined to start an argument."
                  Space Cop
                  The Dandy
                  Last edited by Space Cop; 11-27-2017, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• Well I didn't hate it, but it wasn't exactly anything to write home about either. The league themselves were varying degrees of fine, Flash was annoying and overdone, Cyborg was bland, but I did like Aquaman, and Ben Affleck as Batman again, even if you could tell he was probably through with the role, Gal Gadot has proven to be a solid Wonder Woman too, even if the lack of a better film does affect her performance somewhat, but what really dragged the film down for me was the CGI. God was it bad, and don't even get me started on Steppenwolf. Out of all of the bad recent CBM villains, I think he might be the worse. Talk about "Mr. Evil villain". I will say I did like Superman though, even with his short screentime, it's easily Cavil's best performance of the character. It was cool to see him actually be bright and use his freeze breath, that was an awesome scene.

Overall a mixed bag, but I'm looking forward to the future DC films. Hopefully after Justice League, it's less of a bumpy ride.

Comment

• The Bucket List (2007)

"What does a snail have to do to reincarnate? Leave the perfect trail of slime?"

Rock the Casbah (2015)

"What kind of warlord throws a pool party on a weekday?"

Very fun movie.
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 12-11-2017, 04:41 AM.

Comment

• Memento (2000)

Comment

Valhalla Rising (2009)

"We are more than flesh and blood. More than revenge."
                          I loved Valhalla Rising, especially the beginning. Big fan of that director. Drive and Bronson were great too.
                          http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Rounders (1998)

"All right, listen, things haven't been that smooth on the homefront so, you know, tone it down a little, all right?
                            -Tone done what, mother***ker?"

Magnificent Seven (2016)

"Go on home, polish your rifles. Maybe the glint 'll scare 'em off."

I had held off on this one because the first one (and, yes, I'm quite aware it was itself an Americanization of Seven Samurai) is a favorite, but I liked it too. It pretty much did its own thing (the bad guy's deal, for instance, is pretty different). And I'd have to admit that Vincent D'Onofrio's character is more interesting that Brad Dexter's.

Originally posted by BLACK HAND View Post
                            I loved Valhalla Rising, especially the beginning. Big fan of that director. Drive and Bronson were great too.
                            Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised given the low ranking on Netflix, but I liked it too. I assume the turn-off was either due to dark/gruesome quality of it or the slightly surreal tone. I've seen those two movies too, but didn't connect them (or didn't remember the director's name). I liked those too, though Bronson is a rough movie since the protagonist is so horrible.
                            Space Cop
                            The Dandy
                            Last edited by Space Cop; 12-11-2017, 04:42 AM.

Comment

• Bronson reminded me a tad of Clockwork Orange even though they are dimensions apart. Alex is even more repugnant, a loathsome serial killer, but the protagonist of the story to a large degree. I feel like Bronson is an asshole, but more innocuous, in the way he just wanted to be famous even if it meant being a famous prisoner. I have no problem watching movies about scumbags if its entertaining. Godfather, Scarface....there is a certain sense of jealous machismo.
                              http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

Magnificent Seven (2016)
                                I had held off on this one because the first one (and, yes, I'm quite aware it was itself an Americanization of Seven Samurai) is a favorite, but I liked it too. It pretty much did its own thing (the bad guy's deal, for instance, is pretty different). And I'd have to admit that Vincent D'Onofrio's character is more interesting that Brad Dexter's.
                                Finally! I watched that last week with my dad, and I kept hitting F5 because "Space Cop's gonna chime in on this because no way he won't." Good thing I didn't hold my breath waiting up for you!
                                Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

Working...
                                X