• The Mule (2018)

Comment

• Originally posted by robojac View Post
      The Mule (2018)

Good movie.

Comment

• Never Cry Werewolf (2008)

"I'm not your territory."

Alright for a SyFy channel flick. It's insane how much of a rip-off of Fright Night this. Some of those movies are obvious, but this is in the realm of "how did they not get sued?" The biggest changes are that the kid is a girl and the neighbor is a werewolf instead of a vampire. But otherwise all the same plot beats. Kevin Sorbo is the name draw and it seems more than a little self aware when he spouts a monologue about being a big TV star who lost it all.

Comment

• Oh god, that film was painful to watch. Sorbo tried like hell to save it for me, and I liked him in it, but that film was just a very bad retread of a solid flick from the '80s.
          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Fright Night (2011)

"You've got your mother's eyes and you're father's aim."

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
            Oh god, that film was painful to watch. Sorbo tried like hell to save it for me, and I liked him in it, but that film was just a very bad retread of a solid flick from the '80s.
            I'll go with all of that. Fright Night is a favorite and the 2011 remake showed it could be redone rightly (which made me want to rewatch it immediately). But I love werewolf movies and have a high tolerance for crappy ones. This was far from the crappiest. The rip off was so blatant that it had an appeal either like watching a train wreck or just like "check out the balls on these guys!" Oddly enough, the remake (aside from the names and vamps) took more liberties with the plot points than this knock off.
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 08-16-2019, 02:55 AM.

Comment

• Bumblebee (2018)

Comment

• Originally posted by robojac View Post
                Bumblebee (2018)

Eugh. How was it?

Comment

• BlacKkKlansman (2018)

"You jive turkey."

Pretty good stuff. The little coda on the end with recent real-life events was heavy-handed (I got the message with the conversation about future presidents within the story), but that's Lee. Good story.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                    BlacKkKlansman (2018)

"You jive turkey."

Pretty good stuff. The little coda on the end with recent real-life events was heavy-handed (I got the message with the conversation about future presidents within the story), but that's Lee. Good story.
                    I want to see it, but Lee is soooo angry these days and filled with such vitriol that I just know this is going to be an "important" movie and not a "good" movie. But I could be wrong.

Comment

• Caddyshack (1980)

"You're crazy!
                      -That's what they said about Son of Sam."

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                      I want to see it, but Lee is soooo angry these days and filled with such vitriol that I just know this is going to be an "important" movie and not a "good" movie. But I could be wrong.
                      That's all there, but there's still a fun quality and he takes the time to throw in afros and jive talk.
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 08-17-2019, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                        Eugh. How was it?
                        I was surprised by how good Bumblebee was and wish I had seen it on the big screen. It respected it's source material way more than Michael Bay ever did. The VFX and acting is good (especially from Hailee Steinfeld). I can actually see what's going on in the action scenes and the Transformer designs are distinguishable and have character. It is well paced and doesn't feel like it's an hour too long. This film responded to all of the criticisms and flaws of the Bay films. The movie focused on telling a smaller more intimate story and had heart. It reminds me of The Iron Giant and other films where children befriend robots or aliens. I can go on and on but I recommend seeing it if you haven't yet.

Comment

• Hellraiser (1987)

"We have such sights to show you!"

I had hoped to meet Clive Barker (at Monster Mania) tonght, so I re-watched this without then with commentary. But the price and the wait didn't seem worth it when I could get hard-to-find movies and toys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                            You're not gonna like the last three minutes at all.

Comment

• Hell High (1989)

"There's nothing after high school. There's only more stink."

I saw a video of Joe Bob Briggs talking about new-at-the-time drive-in movies and thought I hadn't seen this. When I remembered I had, I just stuck with it anyway.

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                              You're not gonna like the last three minutes at all.
                              Yeah, that's what I was alluding to. I don't mind him making the point, but he basically did it in the dialogue about how "safe racism" could be instituionalized and put in political power. The last bit was like he wrote that on a baseball bat and then took it to the viewer's head.
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 08-20-2019, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• Oh, it was effective though. That bat hit me straight in the gut.

Comment

Working...
                                X