This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)

"Dr. Taylor: Don't tell me! You're from outer space.
    Kirk: No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

Red Cliff (2008)

"No retreat. No surrender!"

(I guess I'll talk about this masterpiece in the foreign film thread.)
    Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 06-13-2013, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• Spectacular film, to say the least.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
        Just a heads-up, sylent, but Ip Man 2: Legend of the Grandmaster will make your balls explode from its awesomeness.
        Good lookin' out! *adds to Netflix queue for the weekend*

Comment

• This is the End - Great movie. Should have had a better ending though. I'm fine with them going to heaven, but the Backstreet Boys was a let down. I mean, why not have more cameos there? Or at least bring Emma Watson back.

Comment

• Mandingo (1975)

"I thought you was better than the white man, Masta. But you is just white!"

I guess I was expecting something different from this. I had read that the term and concept for Tarantino's mandingos in Django Unchained came from here. I was expecting exploitation cinema and while it was violent and sexual it was a straight-up drama. Specifically it's about a plantation family led by a particularly cruel slave-owning father (played against character by James Mason!). He's the type to split up slave families, tell them negroes have no souls, and beat them for reading and writing. His son is a little better primarily due to have a deep love affair with one of the slave "wenches." However, when he gets married and spends more time with the latter than with his wife she spitefully has an affair with her husband's prize Mandingo (fighter) Mede. You can imagine the consequences.

Hybrid (2007)

"This is my damn property."

A predictably bad Sci-Fi Channel movie. Set a mystical land called Canada, this is about a guy who gets his eyes replaced by wold eyes and starts to take on wolf memories and habit. Sadly, it's not a real werewolf movie.
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 06-15-2013, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• Gearing myself up for Man of Steel.

My favorite lines:

Batman: Do us a favor and lose the sense of humor.
                Superman: Do us a favor and buy one.

Comment

• Jack Reacher (2012)

"I mean to beat you to death, and drink your blood from a boot."

Pretty good (not great) conspiracy mystery and actioner.

Comment

• Blade 2. This is one of my all-time favorites from any genre. Due to the lead character's obscurity in relation to other super heroes and the fact that it's R-rated, it's brilliance is often overlooked.

Roger Ebert's review:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/blade-ii-2002
                    Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

• Originally posted by W.West View Post
                      TRANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      I'll check that out too, thanks.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      Yeah, but the actual connection is a little looser than that. What happened is WD Richter directed Buckaroo (which he didn't write). Later, Carpenter had a script from some other guys called Big Trouble in Little China, but it was Western and the studio wanted it adapted to modern times and polished a bit so WD Richter finished it. Still, the connection is interesting to me since they have a similar wackiness and tone.
                      Ah I see. Yeah that's the thing, both films are quite wacky, I'd say Big Trouble In Little China makes more sense in the terms of normal film structure, where as Buckaroo just doesn't care and does what it wants, when it wants. You either get it or get left behind, which is why it bombed. So if there was a sequel it would probably still have the wackiness, but make much more sense. The best we could hope for is a modern day remake, now that's one remake I would be up for seeing.

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      A predictably bad Sci-Fi Channel movie. Set a mystical land called Canada, this is about a guy who gets his eyes replaced by wold eyes and starts to take on wolf memories and habit. Sadly, it's not a real werewolf movie.
                      That's a shame, the concept sounds intriguing, but syfy channel and the word good, dont really go together much, if ever.

What I've watched recently.

Just a great old school style zombie movie, does exactly what it says on the box. It's wrong, but part of me can understand why Rodriguez cheated on his wife with Rose McGowan. Filming that intro over and over must have been exciting

Then they broke up a couple years after, and then she went and messed her face up with NEEDLESS surgery, why oh why, she was so pretty already. I don't understand why some women do that. Without Rodriguez giving her roles and the face thing, her career has gone down the toilet since. Damn Shame is what it is. Her role as Cherry came true.

Cherry Darling: "I'm Cherry."

Dr. Dakota Block: "You sure are."

That line always got me, but it's even more true now.

A Mad Max-esque post apocalyptic world provides the backdrop for a brutal, futuristic game resembling American football. Rutger Hauer plays a disgraced former star leading a rag tag group of "Juggers" to one of the remaining Nine Cities for glory and redemption.
                      This film was fucking awesome, straight to the bone, no messing about here. I'll try not to ruin it here, but how the game works is that you have to get the skull of dog onto a stake at the opposite side of a small playing ground. Only one player from each team can touch the skull, this player is called the Qwik. The other players are armed with what I would call medieval weapons, they each have their roles as well, which is to stop anybody getting their hands on their Qwik. There are no rules, how you stop them can be and is very brutal, you will see at what great lengths Juggers go to.....to win a match. Theirs a lot more but I think I've said enough to get you interested.

Rutger Hauer is a total bad ass in this.

Rutger Hauer: "This is stupid. We should be fucking and drinking by now."

You know I always thought Rutger Hauer would make a great Cable, but that movie never did or will happen, and he is too old now anyway. However he is a great actor.

Theirs so much quotable stuff from this movie.

Gonzo: "Lord Vile, I've broken Juggers in half, smashed their bones, left the ground behind me wet with brains. There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake."

Young Gar: "A hundred fucking stones!"

Mara: "I don't like brutality. I like heroics. I like the blood of heroes."

The universe this is set in is really interesting, the further the movie goes along the more you get to see, the budget is small, so it's not grand, but you still buy into it. If you like post apocalyptic movies, I don't think you can go too wrong with this. Certainly worth a watch.

Oh, in case you have trouble finding it.....it also has another title; The Salute of the Jugger.
                      Frank Castle
                      Alpha-Lantern
                      Last edited by Frank Castle; 06-16-2013, 02:19 PM.

THE MEN CALLED STING

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
                        Blade 2. This is one of my all-time favorites from any genre. Due to the lead character's obscurity in relation to other super heroes and the fact that it's R-rated, it's brilliance is often overlooked.
                        I think it's very underrated too. I know a lot of people who like #1 but not this one and I don't get it. It was fun, cool, funny and different. The super vampires were a cool idea and del Toro did a good job (as he always does imho).

Originally posted by Frank Castle View Post
                        ...It's wrong, but part of me can understand why Rodriguez cheated on his wife with Rose McGowan. Filming that intro over and over must have been exciting

Then they broke up a couple years after, and then she went and messed her face up with NEEDLESS surgery, why oh why, she was so pretty already. I don't understand why some women do that...
                        It was reconstructive surgery. She was in a car accident that cut up her face. From her wiki:

According to an article in the New York Post, McGowan suffered serious injuries in a car accident early in 2007. Riding as a passenger, her car was struck by another vehicle and the force of the impact drove her eyeglasses into her face. McGowan is quoted as saying, "I didn't realize I was hurt until I put my hand to my face and felt the flap of skin. My glasses had sliced me under my eye." After obtaining the services of a plastic surgeon, McGowan is reported to be suffering no long-lasting consequences from the incident.

Comment

• The Company of Wolves (1984)

"The worst wolves are hairy on the inside."

A young woman is caught in the throes of nightmares within nightmares, dreaming of a series of werewolf-involved scenarios, which themselves are products of a grandmother (Angela Lansbury) telling her granddaughter cautionary warnings against strange men and beasts.

The Lansbury stuff is the main setting, taking place in a woodland village (which has terrible design, frankly) that's periodically plagued by werewolves. There's a fancy, upper-crust old-fashioned English wedding that's crashed by a double-billed actress who converts the diners into wolves in revenge for her being knocked up and then ditched by the groom (the servants are left normal and pop some champagne in toast to the turnabout).

A fair bit of the effects are borderline Cronenberg: the above actress, in her first role, witnesses her husband rip all his flesh off and then shift into a wolf; more modest mutations take place during the English wedding; and the final tale has a wolf emerging from a man's mouth.

Amusingly, there's a peacock that a pack of wolves run over (it's fine, just briefly trampled) and an irritated priest who, overhearing Lansbury talk shit about him, cuts a small branch off a tree and lets it softly knock her on the head.

Not a bad film, really, but incredibly strange.
                          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Originally Posted by Space Cop
                            It was reconstructive surgery. She was in a car accident that cut up her face.
                            That's strange, none of the articles I read mentioned anything about an accident. However if that is true then it's tragic, but atleast she didn't lose her leg and have it replaced with a machine gun, right?

Still that sucks for her. Maybe she's just one of these many actors/actress that are better off doing TV work.

THE MEN CALLED STING

Comment

• Decent!
                              Mister.Weirdo
                              Guardian of the Universe
                              Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 06-17-2013, 01:09 AM.

Comment

• Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)

"Why does God need a starship?"

So, yes, this is one of (if not the) worst trek films, but I still find moments I enjoy here. All of the beginning stuff on shore leave is great. The idea of the ship not being ready works well and I love the escape from the brig. Kirk's plea for the necessity of pain and regret is quite poignant. It just doesn't work over all.

Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                                The Company of Wolves (1984)
                                Not a bad film, really, but incredibly strange.
                                That's a fair assessment. It was Neil Jordan's (who went on to do The Crying Game, Interview with the Vampire, and Michael Collins) second feature. It was innovative at the time for making the werewolf-Little Red Riding Hood connection in film. I remember renting it and expecting a straight-up werewolf movie. I had to shift my expectations, but I still ended up enjoying it. In fact, I need to pick this up on DVD some time since I'm a werewolf collector and have come to be a Neil Jordan fan.

Comment

Working...
                                X