Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeah, i didnt even finish watching it and what i did have play through i fell asleep thru most of it.

Comment

• Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)

"There is an old Vulcan proverb: only Nixon could go to China."

Such a great Trek movie. I've seen it a lot before but it's been a while. This time, I particularly noticed little clues that reveal the conspirators early.

The Shakespeare stuff is interesting. It's clever that Gorkon uses Hamlet's reference to "the undiscovered country" as a positive reference to the future. In the tragedy, this is Hamlet's reference to death. That's ironic since the chancellor is dead within hours of saying it.

Anyway, great performances, cool effects, beautiful sets and backdrops, relentlessly clever dialogue, and a riveting story. All around a good swansong for the original crew. I go back and forth between whether this or WoK is my favorite and/or the best. That they were directed by the same man seems significant.

Comment

• Pretty good and I really enjoyed it, never saw the first one however and helped erase the stench of Man Of Steel

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• So nice you said it twice.

Im going to see Monsters University at the drive in tomorrow with the wife and kids.

Comment

• So nice you said it twice.

Im going to see Monsters University at the drive in tomorrow with the wife and kids.

Comment

• The Merchant of Venice (1972)

"The quality of mercy is not strain'd, it droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven upon the place beneath: it is twice blest; it blesseth him that gives and him that takes."

I wanted to see a good production of this since I recently read it for the first time. So I found this BBC Play of the Month starring Maggie Smith as Portia (and the youngest I've seen her at 38). Pretty good. Charles Gray (the professor in Rocky Horror) played a good but boisterous Antonio. Shylock was rather contemplative here.

Space Cop
                  The Dandy
                  Last edited by Space Cop; 06-22-2013, 09:33 PM.

Comment

• Argo (2012)

"Argo fuck yourself."

When Iranian militants storm the American embassy in 1979, a group of six Americans hide out with the Canadian ambassador and the CIA must concoct a rescue mission, ultimately going with a fake film shoot to smuggle their people back.

This film was incredible. The fake Argo should be made and released in theaters today, because, I kid you not, it's like Star Wars meets Flash Gordon (1980) and holy mother of god, I want to see that version.

Alan Arkin and John Goodman have perfect performances, great lines all around (so many that I had trouble choosing whether to use the semi-tagline or another). Ben Affleck is a good director, and he sells his character excellently.

All the time period footage, specifically news stuff starring Ted Koppel, Mike Walters, Walter Kronkite, and Jimmy Carter, was just very apropos.

Very highly recommend.
                    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• "Hellooooo, baaaaby!"

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Robinson View Post
                        So nice you said it twice.

Originally posted by Robinson View Post
                        So nice you said it twice.

I tip my hat to you sir

Comment

• Inglourious Basterds (2009)

"Through our cruelty they will know who we are."

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by fearless2814.1
                              ...You're a chore, you know that? You are a chore.

Comment

• Excellent animation, the story wasn't though.
                                Mister.Weirdo
                                Guardian of the Universe
                                Last edited by Mister.Weirdo; 06-23-2013, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X